Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2b7001b17724bc1b464f1c5feb094145Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Converting the Funtasma costume boots (for Generic Jedi)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Converting the Funtasma costume boots (for Generic Jedi) Reply with quote

OK... here's a basic rundown of what I did to convert my costume boots from Funtasma. First off, I purchased the boots from Gentleman's Emporium, here:
http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/001845.php
Apparently there are other outlets for these, but comparable prices. (Funtasma also makes ready-made Obi-Wan & Anakin style boots that I've seen on Ebay stores... Pandatrooper did some great "aging" of these, but to do your own like I did, I recommend getting the plain boots.) There is also a link for black boots of the same type.

Because there is a zipper on the inside of the leg, I wanted to hide this, and my design conveniently takes care of it. Here's what I wanted to copy:

For glue, you can use Gorilla glue or any adhesive recommended for leather... I use Master brand cement.

In order to make the applied pieces, I wanted to use leather. 7/8-weight leather is what I used, and made some patterns first based on the measurement from the center of the outside leg to just over the zipper on the other side (this will vary with your boot size). For my design, it was a matter of making a large spat that covers the front, and comes all the way down and has stirrups that wrap around the bottom of the sole, right in front of the heel. Rivets through the spat, cuff, and strap were punched in to help hold them all together, just about 3" above the heel.

Before gluing/stitching the spat to the boot, I did the detail applique on the tops. To finish off the look of the spats, I glued two more layers of leather pieces, cut in a rhomboid shape, stacked on the upper center part.

I also made a cuff that attaches to the stirrup part, and wraps around the top pf the foot, covering the bottom edge of the main "spat" part. On top of this, I made a 2-piece strap that wraps around the heel and the foot cuff.

Slip on all the pieces, glue the spat to the front of the boot. Lastly, a strap with closure was glued top around the top of the boot, on top of the stacked leather pieces. On mine, I also reinforced it all around the top with partial stitching, allowing the strap to be free to allow it to be undone so you can still unzip and remove the boots. I initially installed a buckle on the back of the leg, but am converting this to a more "spacey" velcro closure.

Here is the end result:

I do apologize that I didn't take photos while building them... if better close-ups are needed, I'll take some.

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Hollis DZC ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!! Those turned out superb!!! Great job!!
jedichase ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome technique I'll probably apply this to my TCW Plo Koon boots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: