Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=aec9f05327f6e07c4dd1ef8cbf287a1fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New with lots of questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonded Hawk ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question. You have to be formally approved before you can have an informal costume. I am doing an ANH Solo, but am cold natured. Would I be able to add an ESB jacket in winter time and be OK, or would I have to have a completely different costume for winter?

BH
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that at the end of the day your costume needs to make your event coordinator happy. So if you decide to throw an ESB jacket over ANH pants for an event... if the event coordinator is ok with that... it doesnt matter what we think. Long as its a low profile event and not an LFL high level event. For getting a costume approved informal or formal with that situation... those are questions you need to take up with the Fringe LCJ... Cobalt.

I hope that answered your question.

Bob
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only way that would work.., the costume would need to be approved "formal", without the jacket.

you could then wear the jacket overtop of the ANH costume: (a) at informal events only;
and, (b) at the discretion of your base commander/event coordinator.

either way, you'd still need a formal costume first.. and for ANH.. that would be with vest (no jacket).

(you can't simply "replace" the ANH vest with an ESB jacket, and still be approved 'informal' for ANH -- an 'informal' ANH is one that meets all the requirements of the ANH standards, except for the 'formal requirements' section -- no matter how you slice it, this always includes the black vest, even for 'informal' ANH). Wink
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonded Hawk wrote:
Grey is my favorite color.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Han-Solo-Style-Riding-Boots-/250847291971?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3a67a9ea43
I know the inside top is off, I think its elastic. I'm waiting to see final product.

BH

these boots would pass. even LCJ's are bound by the written standards. Wink

there is nothing in the standards to address 'elastic calves'.

perhaps future standards will address this (?) but for now, I can't see a problem with it
Bonded Hawk ()

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the opinion on the boots. I'm waiting to find a good pair, and also on Todd to see what the release.

On the jacket...It was 107 heat index today. But I am cold natured and need a jacket in the winter. I was just weighing my options.

Got more stuff in and comming. I just don't have enough of anything to have a finished part of the costume.

How plastic-y are the grips on a Denix Mauser? Its been discussed that the grips in the movie are plastic. With the rest of the blaster metal I think I may want the pistol with the wood grips instead of the plastic ones. Any opinions? I'm just aftaid the plastic grips will give the blaster a cheap feel. It will be a GK blaster by the way.

BH
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The description of the handle being plastic is just to say that not all the blasters are made from Denix mausers and that the handle is one way to tell the difference between the two different types of blasters. Its not that the handle looks extremely plastic by any means... just that it is made out of plastic with the attempt to look like wood. Things like how many grooves on the grip along with being wood or plastic is just 1 identifier between the two different styles.

I believe Lichtbringer has become our go to guy when it comes to info concerning all stuff blasters. I wont even try to pretend to know as much as he does concerning the difference between the different blasters.

You may want to spend a few moments reading a blaster thread in our tutorial section that I believe touches on your questions.

Blaster / Prop Thread

Hope that helps.

Bob
Bonded Hawk ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtbringer had said that the GK had plastic grips because it was built on a MCG base. Mine already is not going to be accurate because I will be using a Denix. I was looking for more of a personal preference, opinion. Who wishes they had bought the wooden handled pistol, and who is happy with what they got? Though the plastic grips are accurate to the movie, I am leaning toward the wood grips. Would this be frowned upon in the RL?

BH
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all...

There are maybe a handfull of people in the world of Star Wars who will notice the difference... none in the RL of whom are costume judges. Its just way to small of a detail to judge against... so you have nothing to worry about.

Bob
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
I believe Lichtbringer has become our go to guy when it comes to info concerning all stuff blasters. I wont even try to pretend to know as much as he does concerning the difference between the different blasters.

You overdo - i´m just trying to give info for accurater builds to those who want to go that way.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonded Hawk wrote:
Lichtbringer had said that the GK had plastic grips because it was built on a MCG base. Mine already is not going to be accurate because I will be using a Denix. I was looking for more of a personal preference, opinion. Who wishes they had bought the wooden handled pistol, and who is happy with what they got? Though the plastic grips are accurate to the movie, I am leaning toward the wood grips. Would this be frowned upon in the RL?

BH

Building a prop as accurate as possible, or building a nice blaster for carrying the way you like, doesn´t need to fulfill the same standards/presets. But they might met partly in the grey zone between. Very Happy

And even for a prop the "as possible"-aspect is always a integral part.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Bonded Hawk ()

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always said grey is my favorite color.

BH
Bonded Hawk ()

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now is the time for patience. I have everything budgeted out for this build and I have to wait before I buy the Denix. This will be difficult because the M9 arrived today and CE has shipped out my scope mount. Basically the only thing I haven't bought yet is the base gun.

After I put the blaster together I have some leather left over from another project and I can start my holster.

I hate to wait.

BH
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you there. I'm also waiting for my CE mount and grill, but once I get that I'm stalled until I have the cash for all the leather supplies and tools. (Should be within three weeks). At least all my blaster parts are paid for, it's just a matter waiting for the mail.

So I'll be taking my time with the belt tools and blaster, but there will still most likely be thumb twiddling time as not only do I have to wait until I have extra cash to spend, I have to wait for the stuff to get shipped to me after I order it.

Make sure to post lots of progress pics when you start on the holster - I'll be living vicariously through your thread!

P.S. - Looks like I am dabbling with the grey zone as well - my M9 is black! (Plus I have a Weaver scope) Muhahaha! I'm a rogue Greedo Killer!

Smile
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
The 1/8 inch groove you speak of is for the ROTJ belt... not ANH. The groove for ROTJ is only on the holster and not actually the belt... just so you know. Smile

Actually, I think you're incorrect there - I've been doing a bunch of research now that I am almost ready to get moving on doing my holster now. There is a 1/8" groove on the top and bottom of the ANH belt, and also on the holster. If you enlarge those high resolution photos you recently posted, you can definitely see it. ROTJ has it on the holster only.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if you read that High rez pic I posted I corrected my statement there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: