About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b19af00e027d4e90b869a394e6cddb9aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

You'll get hairy palms if you keep doing that!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: You'll get hairy palms if you keep doing that! Reply with quote

Yeah, yeah, I know that's just an urban legend. Wink

Those of you going the latch-hook route, how are you gluing hair to your gloves? On my new gloves I initially tried super-glue but this soaked into the gloves and turned them hard as a rock.

What did you use?

Last edited by GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten) on Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Silicone glue... the kind you would use on Fish tanks or any silicone mask. Many of the gloves out there have various properties. I find silicone glues very practical for various surfaces and unatural materials. The nice thing about silicone glues it that they are flexible... very usefull for things like hands. Many other glues will lose grip due cracking or chipping, or the inability to properly adhere to textured surfaces.

2 cents

Bob Kohn
Dougie Fett ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: You'll get hairy palms if you keep doing that! Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
Yeah, yeah, I know that's just an urban legend. Wink

Those of you going the latch-hook route, how are gluing hair to your gloves? On my new gloves I initially tried super-glue but this soaked into the gloves and turned them hard as a rock.

What did you use?

I coat my spandex gloves with a layer or two of latex and then punched hair into them, they look very natural.

P.S. Where is your build thread?
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact cement works like a charm for all the hair glueing for the gloves and or mask etc.....stays flexible too.

Chewy Layers snow to print
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put down a layer of hot glue, then put the hair on. I have about 3 or 4 rows of hair and it's not given me a moment's trouble. It's maybe not the most asthetically pleasing when you see them by themselves, but since they are covered by the arm hair most of the time, it's never been an issue.

I can put up a picture later on if anyone would like. Just let me know.
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumpy wrote:
I just put down a layer of hot glue, then put the hair on. I have about 3 or 4 rows of hair and it's not given me a moment's trouble. It's maybe not the most asthetically pleasing when you see them by themselves, but since they are covered by the arm hair most of the time, it's never been an issue.

I can put up a picture later on if anyone would like. Just let me know.

Some of the original wookiee costumes out there are done in that fashion... I don’t see anything wrong with it if it works.

For that matter what I just said can be said for any of the steps and procedures to making any costume. There is no 1 right way for any of these costumes... and I think we as a costuming group need to embrace all methods... as long as the end results are the same.
Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have hair on my gloves. No one has ever noticed.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaxmon wrote:

Depending on how tall you are and how tall you are in costume the hair on your hands/ gloves is key to avoid the short arm syndrom that goes with the taller wookiees out there. Adding hair to the gloves can add and easy 8-12 inches in the arms... a huge visable difference.

I would say most wookiee costumers are dealing with some issues along this path... expecially wookiees closer to the original height.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive extended my netting and hair beyond my hands about 12 inches, extending my arms to the correct length for my 7'9" height. I then added nylon boning to give the sleeve a more rigid filled out look. I dont think in the movies you see Chewies hands. Even when he chokes Lando you see hair. When I shake hand or sign autographs for the kids and families it no problem to grab the pen or high five. Most of the time I dont even wear my gloves cause they are not seen. The hair covers alot.

Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Zaxmon wrote:

Depending on how tall you are and how tall you are in costume the hair on your hands/ gloves is key to avoid the short arm syndrom that goes with the taller wookiees out there. Adding hair to the gloves can add and easy 8-12 inches in the arms... a huge visable difference.

I would say most wookiee costumers are dealing with some issues along this path... expecially wookiees closer to the original height.

Good point, I didn't think about that. Fortunately I am already tall and don't have short arms. Smile
montee916 ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, has anyone tried using lightweight gardening gloves? I've seen them in the local $2 shops with a rubber coating on the palms and fingers, and the backs of them are made from an elastic mesh type fabric. Using these could allow you to avoid the glue alogether, just stretch it out over a fake hand and stitch the hair on.
Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montee916 wrote:
Just a thought, has anyone tried using lightweight gardening gloves? I've seen them in the local $2 shops with a rubber coating on the palms and fingers, and the backs of them are made from an elastic mesh type fabric. Using these could allow you to avoid the glue alogether, just stretch it out over a fake hand and stitch the hair on.

I use those gloves. Smile But my attempts to put hair on them failed. I still use them but I do want to upgrade to something different.
huntman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wookiewannabe wrote:
Contact cement works like a charm for all the hair glueing for the gloves and or mask etc.....stays flexible too.

What kind of Contact cement would you recommend.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased contact cement from Home depot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: