About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b094b08083707781455eb8c94c9d5838Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New here with a few questions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swanny ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: New here with a few questions. Reply with quote

Hello im new to the boards here. im of course very interested in assembling a Han Solo costume.

i have read through the FQ and guides and what not, which were/are very helpful. i do have a few different questions.

1) i was thinking about going the route of the costumebase costume and making alterations simply because thats currently what is in my budget right now. i contacted them to find out about the Inseam on the pants because they werent listed and they got back to me and said the inseam on all the Solo pants were ABOUT a 30. my inseam is a 32. i was wondering if anyone else that went the costumebase route ran into this and what their solutions were. i was wondering if it would even matter since the boots would cover up that part of the leg anyway and if the stirrups were added Would it even matter?. i am however worried about how it would make the rest of the pants fit.

2)the second problem i run into is that i have considerably large feet. i wear a mens size 15 US. so needless to say im running into trouble with boots. i MIGHT be able to fit my foot into a 14.... but it wont be the most comfortable thing in the world. suggestions form anyone or anyone with large feet on boots? again i dont have the kind of budget for custom boots or to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on boots.

thanks

Swanny
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tough one on the boot size with a modest budget. Most appear to only go to size 12. Have you seen these?

http://www.911buycostume.com/Pages/gogoboots/boot01.htm

They have a size 14, which you might be able to stretch with something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/FootSmart-FitRight-Two-Way-Shoe-Stretcher/dp/B000KPMBWU

I think I've even seen them at Target. The only problem with the stretcher is that they are mainly designed for shoes. However, I think you might be able to roll the vinyl boots down enough to get the tool in there.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too wear a size 15... so I feel your pain. Patience is key when it comes to shoe sizes. Become familiar with conversion charts for many of the good boots on ebay are in Euro sizes. Set up your ebay to report the sizes your looking for for German officer boots of that size. I see them on there all the time. The otherthing to watch for is calf size.... which may hold you back if you have large calves. Its an extremely rare thing to find large boots our size, with good fitting calves, that have the correct height. However... if you are aggresive in your searches you can usually find them within a few weeks or so. My advice is to be picky and patient.

There is a good tutorial by Cobalt on how to modify your Costumebase pants. I am not a fan of them myself... but if you have no alternative... it is an option.

If you have any questions let us know... we are here to help the best we can.

Bob Kohn
Swanny ()

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
I too wear a size 15... so I feel your pain. Patience is key when it comes to shoe sizes. Become familiar with conversion charts for many of the good boots on ebay are in Euro sizes. Set up your ebay to report the sizes your looking for for German officer boots of that size. I see them on there all the time. The otherthing to watch for is calf size.... which may hold you back if you have large calves. Its an extremely rare thing to find large boots our size, with good fitting calves, that have the correct height. However... if you are aggresive in your searches you can usually find them within a few weeks or so. My advice is to be picky and patient.

There is a good tutorial by Cobalt on how to modify your Costumebase pants. I am not a fan of them myself... but if you have no alternative... it is an option.

If you have any questions let us know... we are here to help the best we can.

Bob Kohn

Thanks for the advice on the boots.

i did see that tutorial before but thats not what my problem was. i may not have described it well. my inseam, or length of pants i wear is a 32. all costumebase Solo pants apparently come in a 30 which is one size too short for me. i was wondering if anyone else ran into this. because if the over all length of the inseam affects the way the rest of the pants fit then it might be best for me to look for other pants somewhere else. if it doesnt, then i may just go with those pants since the part that would come up short would be in the boot anyway. was this clearer?

Swanny
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from a former Han Solo costumer (and trying to get back into it as well), I would say that the inseam being one inch shorter than your normal should not make one bit of difference. In fact, it might even help. If the inseam is a bit too long, then your pants may bunch up too much. But if the inseam is a bit short, you can then put stirrups on them to hold them down and they will fit much better over your boots and not blouse up too much...

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh... I see what you mean.

Yeah, that may work in your favor if you have a good set of sterups attached.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swanny wrote:

i did see that tutorial before but thats not what my problem was. i may not have described it well. my inseam, or length of pants i wear is a 32. all costumebase Solo pants apparently come in a 30 which is one size too short for me. i was wondering if anyone else ran into this. because if the over all length of the inseam affects the way the rest of the pants fit then it might be best for me to look for other pants somewhere else. if it doesnt, then i may just go with those pants since the part that would come up short would be in the boot anyway. was this clearer?

Swanny

There was a costumer who had Capri style pants, which means that they end somewhere on the calf. Since the boots go up to just below your knee, getting an inseam 30 instead of 32 that you're use to is not going to matter one bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: