About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7e0d34defc1e2ad96264b5d89f8b3d54Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wookie Underskulls?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were all new at this once. Few people here have any relevant professional skills or training. We just did a lot of research and jumped in feet first. The internet has made things much easier to learn. There is so much information out there and pretty much everyone is willing to share what they have learned (as this thread proves).

The important part is to not be afraid to fail/learn. I see a lot of guys give up or avoid learning something new because they are afraid that all of that work will result in something mediocre and so they stick to what they already know. This is really why some people want to start with the Rubies Chewie.

When you do stuff yourself you never really fail; if it doesn't turn out great the first time you've learned something from the process and will do even better next time.

Post photos of your progress in a build thread (I need to start a build thread for my new Chewie now that I think of it).

Don't buy into the hype about "talent." Talent is certainly important but it's only 10% of the process. The other 90% is experience gained from trial and error.
That's true of any creative endeavor; be it costuming, painting, building hot rods, or making movies. No one is so talented that they just whipped up something great with no prior experience. The world doesn't work that way.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few actual artist, but most you will find on the boards are just really big fans of Star Wars and will do whatever it takes to make their dream happen.

Matt's right... 10% skill... the rest is the desire and determination IMO.

A famouse person once said “Success is 10 percent inspiration and 90 percent perspiration.”... Thomas Edison!

I believe in that very much!

Bob
Rhyj12098 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also trying to find a underskull and a latex mask but carnt find any these days or there around $500 and i carnt afford that on a budget
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhyj12098 wrote:
I am also trying to find a underskull and a latex mask but carnt find any these days or there around $500 and i carnt afford that on a budget

For much less than 500 you can make your own mask... and have it fit much better than a purchased mask. I would say around 200$ for materials... and that is if you do not have anything.

I would head to the Fringe area and read some of the build threads... you might find it is within your abilities... and save some money.
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the break down of what it would cost.

face and head casting kit. (the cheapest) 20 dollars for algenage and plaster
Plaster bandages for head cast support - 5 dollars
Mixing buckets - I would get clean ones - 3 dollars
Clay - 20 dollars (going to a hobby lobby)
Clay tools - 10 dollars ( not needed but really helpful)
Clear coat spray paint for sealing - 5 dollars
Wax for protective coat over sealer - 5 dollars
Shell shock for smooth cast mold - 35 dollars
Plastipaste for shell support - 35 dollars
Resin and fiberglass for inner shell - 30 dollars
Eco flex or dragonskin for face - 30 dollars
Miscelaneous brushes - 10 dollars.

Thats 208 dollars to get your face kit ready

Then your dentures - 60 dollars for mold material and resin casting materials

20 bucks in miscelaneous hard ware for the working jaw. if you wanted it to do that

20 bucks in strapping and foam padding.

So to get the base kit together before hair and mesh you are looking at about 300 bucks. You are also looking at a lot of work time. But thats what I call bonding time with your costume.

So you can save yourself about 200 bucks on a pre made kit. But I dont see 500 dollars as being all to crazy of an asking price when you think about all the things that went into the creation of the mask in the first place.

I am working on a new mask for myself and a few of my local garrison mates. I made it a bit more universal this time. But again it wont fit others like it will fit me. It was designed off of my face.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: