About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e3ef4de4c87825781668cf24d7ff0b6bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wookie Underskulls?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TK-6162 (Mark Williams)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Wookie Underskulls? Reply with quote

Curious, if anyone is still producing these to would be Wookie builders?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one that I am willing to part with. I dont have a face to go with it, but Id be willing to sell a skull that has had been painted on the gums and teeth.

Let me know if your interested and I can get you pics and we can come to a price.
sandtrooperscout (Mark Tomasello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering as well...... Cool

Valissa ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in one as well...I think the 'face' is the one thing I will not be able to do on my own. Sad
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not sell yourself short guys. There is plenty of info on the boards on how to make masks.

You can buy an underskull and mask, but it will never fit you properly. Masks are a very personal thing, and good masks can only come from life casts and sculpting one.

Before you write making one yourself out, do some reading, its not as bad as you think... plus a ton cheaper.
I wrote a tutorial a while back on Life casting that might help:
Life cast

and Youtube has endless amounts of videos on it:
Basic silicone mask making

Bob
Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Bob said. Very Happy
sandtrooperscout (Mark Tomasello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I fully intend on trying the life cast and modeling a mask. It's having something to attach it to where I start to get worried. Believe it or not, there's no one local that has a vacuform table (at least no one thats admitted to it). So in looking ahead, I'm kinda of at a point where I think I get the latex mask made, but after that I'm stuck.

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can make a latex mask, you can make a hard skull... just need to do a bit more reading. In some ways its the same process, just different materials. If you have any experience with TK helmuts or know people who do, they can help with the proper mountings and fitting, The casting parts, many ways to go about it. I would suggest reading up on some of the wookiee builds and go with what you feel most comfortable on.

My wookiee underskull was originally cast from the inside casting of my latex cast... so I knew I had a solid fit. This all stems from life casting mind you. So its all a proceedure... step by step.

1. Life castI was unable to take pictures when I was life casted, but I did manage to take pictures of my friends life casting party! Life casting tutorial
2. Sculpt wookiee

3. cast off sculpt of wookiee to get wookiee face mold
4. Cast face using wookiee face mold, cast wookiees entire face... somehow I did not take any pictures of the first step. I did however make a mother mold of my wookiess face so I could make many later on if needed.

5.Cast underskull by using Latex casting of mask and original wookiee face mold.. cast underskull for proper fit. Remember to have latex mask in mold when casting the hard skull or the hard skull and latex mask will be the exact same size, causing fitting issues.
Again, I got wrapped up in the work, and forgot critical pictures... Crying or Very sad
6. Cut out hard scull areas, eyes, nose, jaw etc...
7. Once you have a basic hard skull, you can work on many different methods to get your teeth in place.

8. Buid hinges (if you want a moving mouth) also this is a good time to start building mounting methods to you can wear the mask. Mine started out very crude, and ended up changing things later down the road.

9. Place/ mount latex mask over hardskull. I actually have my latex attached via velcro and silicone and epoxy glues. Silicone on the latex, and epoxy on the hard skull.

Now there are many ways to go around making masks and hard skulls, I know some of the guys actually managed to cast the teeth as part of the hardskull. I built my teeth into the hardskull after the fact. The key is reading and watching videos... figure a way you understand, and give it a whirl.

I have no schooling and managed to wing it, when there was not a ton of info out there. Now we have many sources of info, and people who can help guide you.

Remember without the life cast step.. you basing everything on the fact the person whos hardskull it was made for will fit you. The nose, the eyes are... how flat their face may be or not be. All these things will effect the outcome, that there is no overcoming if that process is skipped.

I made so many mistakes with my mask, and its an example of a new person who needs an upgrade...lol, however.. my mask fits.

I hope this cleared things up a bit. I did not take the best of pictures, and there are better builds out there, I do hope it helps though.

Bob Kohn
Valissa ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some GREAT information! I have been looking through the tutorials so perhaps with some practice...I guess where I get confused is the hinges and the latex part. I have read some of the tutorials and I believe most of the wookies use a latex mask OVER the hard skull. Is that correct?

so first you create the life cast...then you make one hard skull and then over the hard skull you make the latex cap?

First you have to create frame work with the hinges and teeth...then create the overpart. I hope I am understanding this correctly. From my reading...I believe the head is the hardest to create.
Thanks for your help again! And most importantly your guidance!

Valissa
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valissa wrote:
That is some GREAT information! I have been looking through the tutorials so perhaps with some practice...I guess where I get confused is the hinges and the latex part. I have read some of the tutorials and I believe most of the wookies use a latex mask OVER the hard skull. Is that correct?

Yeah, when I say latex, I mean a latex or silicone based mask, but yeah, almost all the masks I have seen are this kind.

Valissa wrote:

so first you create the life cast...then you make one hard skull and then over the hard skull you make the latex cap?

For simplifications.. yes. Not really a cap, but a mask... with details on the mask.

Valissa wrote:

First you have to create frame work with the hinges and teeth...then create the overpart. I hope I am understanding this correctly. From my reading...I believe the head is the hardest to create.
Thanks for your help again! And most importantly your guidance!

This is correct. There are many ways to get to the end product, but that is the jist of it.
TK-6162 (Mark Williams)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME!! Thanks Bob for taking the time. That is some excellent info and tutorials provided. Very much appreciated. bow

All to familiar with the importance of creating a life mask for an ultimate creation & fit. We are actually thinking on planning a "life mask" party here in the early Spring as I know several others wanting to create life mask for some horror projects. Besides, its just pretty darn cool to have your own life mask! Smile

As for under skulls we already have one on the way and will probably have another produced here in the future. Even if these don't give me the results I'm looking for at least we have something to work with, or experiment on for future builds. Besides, can't have just one mask! Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you can check out how I did my version here: http://chewiechanga.blogspot.com/2010/10/casting-face.html
Valissa ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaxmon wrote:
Also, you can check out how I did my version here: http://chewiechanga.blogspot.com/2010/10/casting-face.html

I love your tutorial...your pictures are GREAT!

One last question..and I realize this may be redundant! After you do the life cast of yourself, what do you use to mold what you will create the under skull?

thanks in advance guys! ALL of the tutorials are AMAZING...but for someone who has never built something like this before...the little steps that are obvious to others and thus skipped...confuse me a bit! I just want to make sure I understand the process fully before I try this sucker out Smile
Greywolf (Julie Yakes)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great. I want to redo my mask this summer, so I'm planning on starting this process and have been gleaning all I can from as many sources as possible. I like Duck's mask a lot, but I'd like something that really fits and highlights the eyes better. And, once I have a life cast, I can use it for all sorts of cool projects Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tutorial. I'm another person who wants to make a Wookiee. I'm not worried about the suit but the face just seems way beyond my capabilities. And just like the helmets we wear (for us troopers), the face is the most important thing (imo).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: