About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0c9adb049aacbdaa53e631dac5a39e6eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Havok Solo build ** DONE ! **
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Havok Solo build ** DONE ! ** Reply with quote

So I'm just beginning my ANH Han Solo build. I'm working on getting a set of Russian Officer boots, and my next task is to start work on a blaster\holster. I sent an email out to MPFilmCraft for the metal parts, however he has not returned my email. After doing some more searching around, it appears he has stopped offering just the metal parts, and wants $400 for a complete holster - too rich for my blood!

Are there any other options out there for purchasing just the metal parts so I can pick up some leather and try making my own? I know there is that cheap eBay vendor that sells a holster, but it looks way off, even if I just use the metal pieces.

Last edited by Havok69 () on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I don't know of any vendor that will do just the buckles. I have had the Costume Base holster you speak of. It worked ok for getting approved, but after sever troops it fell apart.

I am also on the search for the buckles, so keep us posted if you find anything.

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no other vendors for the belt buckles. There's costume base and I saw another company on the bay of E selling the holster, but honestly it looked like costume base rebranded.
You could try to cut your own out of aluminum, I know a lot of Leia costumers do that for their belt.
you could also do steel if you're wanting them to be more rugged, but that takes more effort than aluminum.
If you do, I would suggest you J&B weld whatever you're going to use for a closure system to the back. It's an expoxy that takes 16 hours to cure, but when it does, it is never coming undone.
furystorm (Andrew Barton)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting an MP! Very Happy

Can't resist, and looks amazing, and I have absolutely no talent or time needed to create such an important component of the costume.

Just going to save my paypal funds from sales while loosing some pounds.

Also, Matt responded to me immediately when I inquired. But I am after the whole rig.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furystorm wrote:

Can't resist, and looks amazing, and I have absolutely no talent or time needed to create such an important component of the costume.

Also, Matt responded to me immediately when I inquired. But I am after the whole rig.

See if he will sell you additional buckles with the belt so you can swap them out for the correct movie. I doubt he will want to sell them to you seperatly after the fact down the road. However being that your buying his holster... he might be more inclined to do so now.

just a thought.

Bob
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furystorm wrote:

If you're a member, or know someone near you who is. There is someone selling an MP rig in the for sale threads...I would have mentioned it earlier, but you said it was out of your price range
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:

See if he will sell you additional buckles with the belt so you can swap them out for the correct movie. I doubt he will want to sell them to you seperatly after the fact down the road. However being that your buying his holster... he might be more inclined to do so now.

just a thought.

Bob

I purchased a couple sets of buckles from him when he did a run, which was a while ago. I had to heavily modify the rig system to be able to have it setup to swap buckles out.
Though...now that I think about it, I may have been able to get by without doing all the work I did Laughing
cause as I'm typing this I'm thinking that I probably didn't need to keep the back plates matched with the front plates.
Anyway, his buckle system, the backplates for the different buckles have different lining on the holes. I had a friend create me a set of back plates for all the buckles to have the holes all in the same place so I can swap the buckles depending on the costume...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice as always guys. I should just put it in a signature so I can stop typing it over and over again that I truly appreciate the wealth of information everyone is willing to share.

My intention is to create one costume only, if that is even possible and I don't get sucked in which seems easy to do. But for now, I am definitely concentrating on only making my ESB Han. Maybe down the line, I would be interested in adding the Hoth gear, but that would likely be the extent of my costuming. I hope...

So by member you mean, already a Rebel Legion member? Nope. But it was the original poster who mentioned the $400 price tag for the rigs was too much. I'm alright with it, as long as I know I'm getting a quality product.

I fully intend to spend what I have to on holster, boots, droid caller. At least I already have an MR blaster...

OK, so thanks again! Very Happy
sandtrooperscout (Mark Tomasello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:

just a thought.

Bob

He wont. I tried when I bought mine.

I got the ESB belt of course, and I asked if I could have one extra buckle so I could swap the belt to work for all 3 movies. His answer was if I swap the two I have it'll work for both ESB and ANH.

But I guess it never hurts to ask. Maybe you'll get lucky!

Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, how much are they asking for the MP holster in the for sale thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing, as well as which version it is and the size. If we are allowed to know, it would be appreciated.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heard that Matt had raised his prices to around 450$... not sure if that is true, so I think the holster in the for sale thread was 400$.

TBH if your not going to make your own, and your going to buy one... get one from the source so you can do returns and make complaints ... if needed. Not to be rude to the seller, but if your going to spend 400$ on a holster... it should be new at least, not used.

On the other hand, you can make a holster for under 100$ yourself. My holster with buckles cost me 60-65$. There are many tutorials and how to threads on these boards. You can also check with your local leather store if there is one near by, many have classes!

Most of the guys who make their own holster regret only 1 thing... why they waited so long to build one. Smile
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran across Matt's website in my searches, and a new one was $400 plus $15 shipping. I figure even if I have to buy tools (which I do) I could make it for less. I just wish they still had a Tandy store local to me; the nearest one is a 90 minute drive for me.

Now if I just find a source for the metal hardware, I'll be referring to the excellent tutorial here on how to make the holster.

I probably won't start on it until I have a decent blaster so I can make sure it fits properly during the holster construction.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havok69 wrote:

I probably won't start on it until I have a decent blaster so I can make sure it fits properly during the holster construction.

Good call!

I found having a few blasters was a great help with mine... most people forget than for the movie the blaster seen is not always the blaster as it is holstered. Some of the barrels/ flash hiders... just did not fit in Fords holster. So they did what Holiwood does... they fooled us!

We on the otherhand cannot call "Cut!" and have props people swap out a blaster! I know some of the holster guys make more than one holster... one for each blaster... then just attach whatever holster to the belt for the blaster they decide to troop with.

90 min away from a Tandy leather isnt too far if you want it bad enough though. I have a base member who drives like 4 hours to come to our house to work on costumes! So its all about how bad do you want something.

Bob
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I may have tracked down someone to sell me a set of aluminum buckles. They don't have the droid caller clip, but I think I can make a convincing one with a piece of aluminum as the base, and riveting a wall mount broom handle clamp to that. I figure I can bend it to look close to correct, depending on the model I end up with.

I'm really liking the blast tech Mauser conversion kit, so it looks like I have to save my pennies for that one, and then it's leather time!

So, besides the generic holster templates that Tandy sells, is there a specific ANH holster template floating around here somewhere?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: