About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c2b2045ef1bfc0711ea382ae819adccbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Creating a Realistic Lip Curl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Creating a Realistic Lip Curl Reply with quote

I was asked to move this from my blog to these forums. If the admins wish to keep it, I guess it should be moved to the tutorials forum. I hope you enjoy!

Lip Mechanism

The concept for this part is that the wires will move the lips on the silicone mask when the jaw opens. This will create a more lifelike appearance when the mouth is opened. It sorta makes it snarl. I started by drilling holes above the canine teeth on the top and bottom jaw. Then I used RC aircraft cables with nylon tubing to create the mechanism.

I had trouble hot gluing the tubes in place, then ended up being ripped off too much.

Next I make a few homemade cable ties and riveted them in place. It worked ok, but they started cracking (I will find professional grade plastic pieces in the future) so I added hot glue for damage control.

The cable ended up being too stiff to move the jaw easily, and kept dislodging the nylon tubes, so I replaced it with a nylon coated steel fishing line. Woot for Gander Mountain being so close to my house!

The finished lip wires. After this, two springs were mounted on either side of the teeth to help keep the jaw closed.

Below you can see the spring.

I glued some flexible cloth onto the lip wire so that the silicone sealant would have more surface area to attach to.

Short but sweet, feel free to ask any questions.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better move this one into the tutorials section.

Very nice. Your build blog is one of the better resources out there. Very detailed.

The one criticism I will make is that, in the original mask, only the upper lip snarled. Both lips is clearly more sophisticated but it gives the Wookiee roar a different look.

BTW, I can't seem to find it, but there is a great youtube video of Ryan's mask in action: Him eating some popcorn!

Also, according to Peter, there was a steel rod cast into the tongue that he could use to make it move. Nick Maley, Stuart Freeborn's protege on Star Wars and Empire, claims that there were other toggles for movement elsewhere in the mask. He's a bit busy at the moment but has promised to elaborate on that and explain what all the mask did.

Apparently Chewie is based heavily on the man-apes from 2001, where Stuart invented mechanical masks as well as hair punching using a hypodermic needle to insert a single hair at a time.
Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
Better move this one into the tutorials section.

Very nice. Your build blog is one of the better resources out there. Very detailed.

The one criticism I will make is that, in the original mask, only the upper lip snarled. Both lips is clearly more sophisticated but it gives the Wookiee roar a different look.

BTW, I can't seem to find it, but there is a great youtube video of Ryan's mask in action: Him eating some popcorn!

Ah, I did not know that only the top lip moved. Oh well, that will just make future builds all that easier.

I chose not to put a fake tongue in the mask. I feel that without it I can breath much easier which allows me to wear the mask longer and I don't get headaches like I used to. Here is what it looks like with my own tongue.

Popcorn tastes goooood....
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/Krash_Shadow12/Rebel%20Legion%20events/?action=view&current=Captains143.mp4

I didn't have time to take the mask off because I was about to go throw the first pitch, so my wife handed me a hamburger and popcorn, as well as a drink with a straw. I was nearly finished eating when someone decided to film me. Smile
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing this Ryan! Really good info.

Bob
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You actually ate a hamburger through your mask? That is awesome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: