About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=eeaac7373bb5190b345942efa96a5432Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Needing some info on ROTJ poncho Luke.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jedichase ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Needing some info on ROTJ poncho Luke. Reply with quote

Hello my jedi bretheren,

Now with the excitement of CVI coming back to O-Lando I want to do poncho Luke. I'm very knowledgeable on OR jedi but I'm not an expert on ROTJ luke. After examining some photos I have some questions.

1. Luke's soft helmet has a hat brim. How could I replicate this?

2. Are there any painting tips on Lukes poncho which is more brown than the other ponchos?

3. Luke's belt seems to go through the front of the poncho. Any info on this?
Jedi of Poker (Tim {T.J.} Balski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Needing some info on ROTJ poncho Luke. Reply with quote

jedichase wrote:
1. Luke's soft helmet has a hat brim. How could I replicate this?
Your only 2 options are to attach it to either the soft helmet (like mine) or to the hard 'halo' helmet (like others). Any expert Endor costumer can help you in this matter

jedichase wrote:
2. Are there any painting tips on Lukes poncho which is more brown than the other ponchos?
Seek the advice of Donna Keeley from California's Sunrider Base- she has seen more ponchos than any other...

jedichase wrote:
3. Luke's belt seems to go through the front of the poncho. Any info on this?
Seek the advice of Matt Tolosa from Northern California- He's done an Endor Luke...

T
_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His belt is a military web style belt, not his leather one also. Wink

Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slits for the belt ARE through the front, and should land just inside your waistline. Since I double-layered my poncho, I just cut a 2.25" slit (the belt was 2" wide) and did a zigzag stitch around it to keep it from fraying, like a giant buttonhole. Here's what I've done for Luke's colors:

And the Luke poncho next to the Leia poncho:

Granted, I added a lot more color after this so there was less light spots. I used Design Master spray paint that you can get at Michael's crafts, and I believe I used October Brown, Moss Green, and Ivory. I recommend getting a spray can adapter that gives you a trigger, because if your finger gets in the way of the button, it can cause splatters.

I printed out a few front and back pictures of Luke and started spraying in the brown parts in a similar design. You will want to use short, sweeping bursts about 8-10 inches away from the fabric. I mist the fabric with water first. Next, I used the green. Don't be afraid to over-lap. I filled in the leftover bits with ivory so there was no stark white fabric. I ended up filling in more brown and green since you don't want much ivory at all. Then I lightly misted the whole thing in brown by spraying from a further distance. Unfort. Design Masters doesn't make any more shades of brown and the reason I use this paint is it's meant for fabric, like silk flowers. You can wash it to soften it after, but the color will fade. I usually spray and wash it a couple times. You can even rip a few holes in it before washing to give it a weathered look. I recommed spraying both sides. Don't over-saturate or it will soak through, but rather spray in layers and let dry.

Hope that helps Smile

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jedichase ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and information.

I'll have to start looking for fabric and patterns.
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot, I have some shots of my poncho (front, side, back) that shows how it hangs, both with arms up and down, if that might help.

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: