About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3335582636732db03ae52a1cbbfcc447Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Obi-Wan ROTS Lightsaber

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Obi-Wan ROTS Lightsaber Reply with quote

Hi all -

Here is my most recent lightsaber project: a replica of Obi-Wan Kenobi's lightsaber from Revenge of the Sith. I am nearly finished with my Season 3 Clone Wars Obi-Wan costume, so this is the lightsaber that will go with it.

Like my first saber, it uses the 2010 Hasbro Obi-Wan Kenobi lightsaber sound board. This model uses a royal blue Luxeon Rebel Star driven directly from the board (via a relay). Below is a picture of the hilt alongside the Master Replicas .45 scale hilt I used as my model.

Here is the hilt with a blade installed and lit:

And finally, the full blade in a darkened room. Unfortunately, the camera isn't able to capture what a beautiful blue this is. It isn't the white-blue that you see here, it actually is royal blue as the LED advertises. The color of the reflection of the blade on the dresser (left side) is close to the color, but imagine it extremely brightly lit. Since I'm direct driving this from the board (no resistor), I'm getting lots of light from it. I'm using a single 3.7V Trustfire lithium rechargeable battery. Unfortunately, it has to be removed from the hilt to be recharged, but it's the only way to fit the electronics in the available space.

Best regards,
Rorr/Drey

Last edited by Rorrlancca () on Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicely done!
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY nice, indeed!

I am about to make myself an OWK Ep3 lightsaber. It'll be screen accurate and, therefore, not able have a blade. It'll be for hanging on my belt. I'm currently studying schematics and will be getting some parts at Lowe's this weekend for experimenting around with modying the parts for the chokes...since I think the chokes are the limiting factor.

Would you mind telling us were you got the components for your lightsaber?

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger -

Practically everything came from the Custom Saber Shop, http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/. They do powder coating as well (though its expensive), but they can't do it to match the OWK saber where the brass and copper meet. I found that painting the parts and baking them in a mini oven for an hour gave excellent and sturdy results, though. The paint isn't going to chip!

I think the original choke for the OWK saber was a WW2 grenade, so I wonder if those are around on eBay. I gave serious thought to making a screen-accurate "Hero" hilt, but finally decided that I really wanted it to light up. I was just -barely- able to fit all the electronics in the hilt as-is, so trying to do it with the grenade choke is outside of my level of cram-fu mastery. Smile

Rorr/Drey

Last edited by Rorrlancca () on Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you can still find the pistol grenades, but...the guys who have them know who wants then and you'd just about come out cheaper buying an MR Obi-wan saber!

Plus...I think the grenade part was definitely used for the ANH Obi-wan that is relatively close to the ROTS version. But the ROTS version was probably fabricated from scratch, I'm guessing.

I've got several lightsabers I want to make...and figure if I can make a screen accurate OWK ROTS, I can probably make just about anything. I've got a lathe for turning and will take it out of the box soon.

But yeah, the CSS is an awesome site. I browse there regurlary Wink

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: