About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2204b78be49b71af72a5e9d7e713624cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

National Fiber Technology fur fabrics!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dougie Fett ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: National Fiber Technology fur fabrics! Reply with quote

Folks,

I received some samples today of the various in stock wookiee type furs that NFT have. Have to say that I'm super impressed by their quality.

Anyone out there go this route, something tells me that Robert Kohn did???
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Bob did. He also has the hair in the correct colors; most everyone else has hair that is too red. His colors are actually accurate. Sansweet gave us permission to publish the color numbers but Bob has been busy and hasn't had time to find them since his move. I'm sure he'll come in with some notes soon.
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the samples is very close to the ROTS Chewie, they had it as an in stock item.

It is extremely expensive at $40 per SQ foot but very tempting......
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a "machine setup fee" for each color. I think it is $200-$300 per color, so add that to the square footage.

At least, they had that fee when I inquired about it years ago.

I think it ends up being $2500 - $3000 for enough hair for a Wookiee.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have been really behind on getting out the swatch for color ID to NFT. I will really get working on that ... sorry Matt.

Yeah... it’s not cheap.

You can spend a ton if your not skilled in Fur or your sewing skills lacking. I have not written anything up on this because I always felt it was not something members of the RL would be interested in. Most people are usually looking for the economy route once they hear the costs of the NFT hair costs.

You will need (depending on your height) about 25+square feet of the gray, and 35-45 square feet of the Golden brown. I would also recommend getting 1lb of loose hair in each color for hair punching. This loose hair does not come like normal braids of hair like you might get from a beauty shop...instead it comes in a box all attached and you cut to length before you punch. 1lb of hair in each color is enough to do at least a few masks... and then some.

Costs can vary anywhere from 2,500-3,500$ depending on how much you get. 40$ a square foot is the cheapest I have seen in a while. Remember before you buy though to work out your pattern ahead of time on a simulated rug @60 inches wide... keeping fur grain/ direction in mind. This means you cannot turn a pattern piece to fit on the fur... it must remain true in direction or the fur won't lay correctly. Once you have all of your pattern pieces laid out you will be able to measure out how much of each color you will need to purchase.

There is much more to NFT hair, and eventually I will write something up on it... just did not think there would ever be much interest in it due to cost alone.

Bob
Greywolf (Julie Yakes)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested as well, Bob. I thought about it, but since I knew so little about it, I opted to go the latch-hooking route. Should the desire hit me to ever remake my suit, though, I'd be very interested to hear about NFT hair.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the samples they sent me (the 2 suitable for Chewie) were marked as in stock items, basically means that there would be no set up costs.

CF1704 - D5"-7" (Brown) was quoted at $40 per SQ foot.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to check that number to what I have. You see... for a while there was a classic Lucas Gag order on the Fur order number. I think I was one of the last to get the hair before that period. The formula for my hair was the same loom settup as they used for ROTS. I imagine its the same, but I will check to make sure.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: