About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ec4b15fb258e3bb0fac02d349bc5bab2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Blaster / Prop Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandtrooperscout (Mark Tomasello)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart....keep looking. I tried to get mine via Blas-Tech, and he says he's out of stock until June. All he has on hand are parts: the flash hiders and grills for ANH blasters.

I finally just picked up a Denix off the 'bay and got the parts from CE

gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandtrooperscout wrote:
Bart....keep looking. I tried to get mine via Blas-Tech, and he says he's out of stock until June. All he has on hand are parts: the flash hiders and grills for ANH blasters.

I don't see blaster parts listed on CE (that *is* Corellian Exports right?), just belt parts... Am I missing a page somewhere.

I can wait for June too, Force knows I'm not in a hurry Smile

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sandtrooperscout (Mark Tomasello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gandalfbmg wrote:
sandtrooperscout wrote:

I don't see blaster parts listed on CE (that *is* Corellian Exports right?), just belt parts... Am I missing a page somewhere.

I can wait for June too, Force knows I'm not in a hurry Smile

Correct. I just emailed Vince directly. They have the parts in stock. I'll see if I can dig up his addy and PM it to ya.

Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently acquired a resin Broomhandle Mauser replica that looks like this

as well as these parts form an ebay auction.

Does anyone have any recommendations on assembly so that I can put this together easily and have it look right.
If anyone has a tutorial I would love to see it.
thanks
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly the resinblaster is the ROTJ version, while the flashhider, scope and greeblies are for the ESB variant.

So you have to cut/dremel/sand all the resin details away to get a plain Mauser, and then add your new stuff ..... or you keep the gun as it is and buy the correct scope and flashhider.

It all depends on what version you want/need.

Have a nice day,
Michael
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtbringer wrote:
Unfortunatly the resinblaster is the ROTJ version, while the flashhider, scope and greeblies are for the ESB variant.

So you have to cut/dremel/sand all the resin details away to get a plain Mauser, and then add your new stuff ..... or you keep the gun as it is and buy the correct scope and flashhider.

It all depends on what version you want/need.

Are you flipping kidding....I got the wrong scope and flash hider! Mad
That ticks me off....
so now which one do I need so that I dont have to change the blaster?
Then I can put the ones that I have up on Ebay and get rid of them and hopefully recoup the cost so that I can get the right stuff
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version you trying to make?
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
What version you trying to make?

To be honest I would like to keep the Mauser the way it is. I dont know what version it is currently
I was planning on using it for my Imperial Crew or Tie Pilot(when that gets done) and/or X-wing(when that ever gets done.
right now I have the Imperial Crew costume and I recently acquired an old POTF E-11 that I can use for that so I wanted the Mauser for a prop but also to go with the x-wing or Tie when done.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your not using it for Han go with what you have there... doesnt matter really.

Bob
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
If your not using it for Han go with what you have there... doesnt matter really.

Bob

Cool...do you have instructions on how to attach the pieces I have?
I am not particularly sure what the best way to put the scope on or the other pieces.
thanks
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you end up wanting to get rid of the scope, keep me in mind. But yes, like Bob said, if you're not going for a specific face character you're fine.
for the scope mount, you can either go looking for an actual scope mount or build one. Depending on how heavy that scope is, you may want to see about picking up an actual scope mount, unless you can weld.

Edit: For attaching the greeblies, I would suggest J&B cold weld
though, the base resin cast already has the V8 engine blocks, so you really only need to attach the circle if you want it on there. Otherwise, paint 'er up, cold weld the flash hider and mount the scope
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:
if you end up wanting to get rid of the scope, keep me in mind. But yes, like Bob said, if you're not going for a specific face character you're fine.
for the scope mount, you can either go looking for an actual scope mount or build one. Depending on how heavy that scope is, you may want to see about picking up an actual scope mount, unless you can weld.

the actual scope isnt heavy at all. its just a matter of figuring out where the greeblies and such go and how to best attach the flash hider.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shivannd wrote:

the actual scope isnt heavy at all. its just a matter of figuring out where the greeblies and such go and how to best attach the flash hider.

If it's not heavy, what you could do is go to a hardware store, pick up a small sheet of metal, aluminum would be easier to work with, draw out the pattern for the scope mount and cut it out, then use J&B cold weld to put the scope mount together and attach it to the gun.
From the pictures you have, it looks like it's going to be on the side that has the square block sticking out with the single engine block.
Honestly, since the resin cast already has plenty of greeblies on it, I would just paint it, cold weld the flash hider and scope/mount.
I personally would be worried about drilling into resin to screw an actual mount to it...I'm sure the cast will hold it, but I'm just always nervous about the fragility of resin casts. Especially since it's your only one, if it breaks...that's it.
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:
Shivannd wrote:

If it's not heavy, what you could do is go to a hardware store, pick up a small sheet of metal, aluminum would be easier to work with, draw out the pattern for the scope mount and cut it out, then use J&B cold weld to put the scope mount together and attach it to the gun.
From the pictures you have, it looks like it's going to be on the side that has the square block sticking out with the single engine block.
Honestly, since the resin cast already has plenty of greeblies on it, I would just paint it, cold weld the flash hider and scope/mount.
I personally would be worried about drilling into resin to screw an actual mount to it...I'm sure the cast will hold it, but I'm just always nervous about the fragility of resin casts. Especially since it's your only one, if it breaks...that's it.

I dont mind finding the scope mount since I am not sure abotu the j&b cold weld. is it a rifle mount or something else?
Also from pictures it looks like the flash hider sinks into the barrel and doesnt just get attached to the front.
and I take it that the greeblie that came with the flash hider is the same as what is on the first pic of the left side of the blaster?

edit:
I found this pic on Ebay

If I am mounting it like this I guess I would have to remove the box on the right side
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the barrel will go into the flash hider, you just make sure it goes in there smooth, coat the barrel with J&B cold weld, put the flash hider on and let it sit overnight.
For the scope mount, I haven't heard of anyone ever identifying the specific mount, but I have heard a number of people just going to a Walmart and getting one off the shelf, either they matched it specifically to the scope they were using or just used one that fit within the demensions of the weapon.
If you try to use the mount shown in that ebay pic, or one exactly like it, you're going to have to remove that box and possibly the V8 engine piece so it's smooth.
I believe the ROTJ setup was more of a rifle scope/mount. The scope that you have is something that tanker's used, so I don't believe there's an actual mount you can purchase for that. I'm prehaps not being helpful with the scope/mount protion of the project.
But yes, the barrel should fit into the flash hider. If it doesn't, then you'll just have to sand the resin until it does. If it fits but loose, just fill the gap with J&B, or whatever you use but I've had great success with J&B and it was highly recommended over at the RPF. I suppose crazy glue, or your favorite epoxy would work, but the cold weld has some really great strength that I feel is really unmatched by other epoxy's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: