About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=16f20ed3fad370b560fdf16b033c84bcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Plunk Droid Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom_In_AZ ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the simple LED light boards that come on those display stands for the laser etched crystal cubes. Those poofie Fiber Optic lamps tend to use the same LED boards in their bases. These are cheap hackable items typically found for $5 or less. 10 mins of soldering to connect all three boards to one battery pack and you are all set.

Here is a link to help you understand what I am talking about.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-color-Non-rotating-light-crystal/dp/B0038OYURY/ref=pd_sbs_misc_19
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!

That looks great!

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Tom_In_AZ ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kudos Phyllis Smile

This fall I will probably redo the feet so that they are notched on both sides like in that reference picture earlier in the thread. I will note that the rubber spray paint used on the feet has worked out wonderfully! If anyone decides to use it, you will want to make sure that you can leave it outside in the open air for a few weeks to let the petroleum/gas smell vent away. I used that same spray in a helmet, and it also took about a month just for the smell to dissipate.

Another thing is I have not attached the hose yet to it because of how easy it is to transport without it on. Everyone seems to recognize what it is without it though. I will continue to get back to that part as well after I get some more Astromech building done on my R2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: