About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2c7717ae4d7cd43b6eb24f4482e8ac45Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

What are the differences between RL and R2 Builders?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocBev (Nicky Blum)

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the differences between RL and R2 Builders? Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:
Since the RL and 501st restrict access to non-members for all merchandise (and event info in the case of the 501st forums), we as R2 Builders members may often be left out of the loop.

Although you do sort of clarify this yourself further down your post, I did want to clarify that a majority of the 501st units do NOT have event information locked down to members only.

Nicky "Doc_Bev" Blum
The Rebel Legion: Echo Base
501st Legion: Legion Events Coordinator
RAID - Fire Team Echo & KJO - Blumfruit Temple
DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the differences between RL and R2 Builders? Reply with quote

DocBev wrote:

Although you do sort of clarify this yourself further down your post, I did want to clarify that a majority of the 501st units do NOT have event information locked down to members only.

Thanks for the clarification Nicky. What I meant was the private info that would never be posted in a public area, and that all event participants would need to know such as: "to get in to the staging area you must go to this back door and see this guy named ______".

The local 501st here has a public list of events which they plan to appear at, but even still some events don't always make it onto that list or things change and the list doesn't get updated in time, ect....
If I had to rely on a list like that alone, I probably would not be going to too many events.

I have found that many of the 501st Garrisons are pretty cool with having us droid builders come out, and they are usually willing to work with us and get us everything that we need to make the event a success.

David L.
DocBev (Nicky Blum)

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: What are the differences between RL and R2 Builders? Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:
DocBev wrote:

Thanks for the clarification Nicky. What I meant was the private info that would never be posted in a public area, and that all event participants would need to know such as: "to get in to the staging area you must go to this back door and see this guy named ______".

Gotcha.
Although actually, Garrison Excelsior has all those details available to anyone registered for our forums. So while not quite "public", the information is certainly made accessible to the R2 Builders in our territory.
But I guess each Garrison configures their levels of forum access differently.

Nicky "Doc_Bev" Blum
The Rebel Legion: Echo Base
501st Legion: Legion Events Coordinator
RAID - Fire Team Echo & KJO - Blumfruit Temple
Samurai ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy that my local 501st gives me access to their forums, especially the events section. I also like the fact that I have been able to attend event in plain clothes and blend into the crowd. The last event, I even had a person see my event badge and start asking me questions. He then asked me about who was controlling the R2, with me holding the controller. Sometimes it is nice to blend in and not draw attention to you can the joysticks you are holding. It is also nice to have a wide range of vision to make sure nobody is run over or hit by a spinning dome.
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samurai wrote:
... It is also nice to have a wide range of vision to make sure nobody is run over or hit by a spinning dome.

That's the great thing about RL costumes, most have a great range of vision. I usually wear my ANH Leia while I control my R2 and most people don't even notice me! Laughing

Samurai ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue I have is the Tech costumes I have seen... some have a helmet. I really don't need anything else that could fall down or just block my vision. My eyesight is bad enough. I can not read the Big "E" on the chart in my right eye. With contact I see better than 20/20, but still contacts are a necessity to see and function. It is bad enough in the spring here with all the pollen and contacts.

Usually I stand back and let the kids interact with R2. I will move around to better views if it is blocked by other people. If things get a little rough I will have my handler stand near him to make sure kids are being respectful. If they get rougher, I will stand on the other side of R2 so we have all sides covered. I once had R2 attacked from 3 sides. 1 kids was going after the front holoprojector, one was prying the front door and utility arms open, another was going after the rear door and "kicking the tires". We both had to step in. And yes the parents were right there watching and taking pictures. Shocked
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe some parents who don't seem to care when their kids are being malicious. There's a great range of kids/parents, some are timid and don't even want to stand near R2, some love R2 but they won't touch him unless I say it's okay, some touch R2 but are gentle, and some just all out assault poor R2 like they're trying to see if they can pry parts off as souvenirs or something! Mad

Samurai ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is amazing to see the differences between kids and how they interact with characters.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samurai wrote:
It is amazing to see the differences between kids and how they interact with characters.

The stories I could tell you from the events I have been at with my Artoo!

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Voort saBinring (Jon Stokes)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the first post.

R2 Builders Group has much more in common with webgroups like white armor (dot) net, or TDH, than it does with the 501st or Rebel Legion.
R2BG members are free to function in support of both groups.

RL is in large part about information dealing with SW costuming.
501st requires one have the costume before joining.
Public events are part of the 501st & RL mission statements.
Such things are NOT integral to the mission statement of the R2BG.

R2BG is for people who want to build a replica Star Wars robot.
Anything beyond that happens on the part of the individual.
We are people not the robots we buiild so some of that individual interaction spills out publically on the yahoo groups and astromech boards.

Members agree, by the very act of joining the R2BG, to obey club rules pertaining to sale and manufacture of parts and merchandise. Use of the official R2Builders logo is controlled by the group leader Dave Everett.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: