About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4bb26413d8d25cca23b171f88e3a6e78Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wookiee hair straightening

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Wookiee hair straightening Reply with quote

So - you've decided to make a Wookiee costume have you??
Well, the first thing any Wookiee will tell you is to blow dry the hair BEFORE latch hooking it onto the mesh undersuit.
TRUST me.......

You don't want to end up like that now do you????
For refrence, here is the same suit WITH blowdrying

Now, how do you want to go about blow drying the hair? It's easy.....

Step 1 - Take some hair out of the package. Cut it in half first so you have a 2 foot long shank of hair. Most of the brown that people buy comes out of the package looking like this.....

Nice and frizzy isn't it!! Shocked

Step 2 - Find an open area to work in and step on the end of the hair

Step 3 - Run the hair dryer back and forth over the hair. BE SURE THE HAIR IS PULLED TIGHT!!.

Notice how close my hair dryer is to the hair. You need to find what works best for you. I was able to run mine on high speed but as you can see, I have a rather small hair dryer. Always keep the hair dryer moving back and forth otherwise you CAN actually melt the hair.

Step 4 - Repeat step 3 on the back side of the hair

Again, be sure the hair is always pulled tight. Also, do not do a huge amount of hair at once or else, the hair in the middle of the bunch could get missed.

Step 5 - Once the main section of hair is straight, all that's left to do are the ends that were either under your foot or in your hand. Simply step on the hair with the end sticking out and straighten it as you did the rest.

If there are some of the ends that don't straighten real well, don't worry too much as there is a really good chance that those ends will get trimmed off in the thinning process once everything is latch hooked.

And TAA-DAA!! That's it. You now have a straighened batch of hair ready for latch hooking!!

And yes - this IS the same hair from the first picture.

Have fun!!!!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic... that should help many new wooks!

Bob
Greywolf (Julie Yakes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, Chris!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very similar to my method. I clamped the hair to my ironing board, but stepping on it seems like less work involved. Clamping gets annoying. Smile
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85% done my hair work and revisiting old links...

From my experience if you need to stretch the hair under heat then you did not get 100% kanekalon hair but just synthetic hair of a lesser composition. I bought both. The non-kanekalon was half the price but was hard to straighten and had a sweet spot when it could be straightened but would soon pass the sweet spot into melting. 100% kanekalon will straighten with heat and no stretching.

I sent the cheap stuff back as the time necessary to straighten it did not warrant the savings.

Also, I straighten the full 48" length at once then fold in half and cut the ends at 16" giving me 3 sections of 16" lengths. When warranted, I cut in half for 24" lengths.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to stretch the hair, but you do need to pull it taut to keep it from blowing around as you blow dry it.
ZeroCooL (Nick)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add this to my notes Wink
Sarah1968 ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeeJay, a fellow Wookiee building down under) has provided me with the easiest and quickest method I've found so far.

I've found that by tying off a small part of one end of the hair (so you have a small lump of hair to hold on to), dunk/coil the hair down into a pot of just boiled water for about 10 or so seconds, getting all but your little lump of hair that you're holding into the water.

Pull it out straight up and then spin it around as fast as you can to get rid of excess water (pretending you're Pete Townsend from The Who on guitar). I usually do this for about 10 seconds too. Then just hang it up to dry. You'll find it's now dead straight.

Once it's dry, give it a good brush to get it even straighter. You can do this whilst it wet but it may knot up quickly and you could lose a lot of hair to the brush.

Just my two cents but I've found it works a treat. Just be careful you don't accidentally drop all the hair into the just boiled water otherwise it will lump together and you'll never find the ends. Hang on tight to your small knot of hair Smile
BareFootHurst (Jason Hurst)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As requested, here is my easy way to straighten lots of hair in one go. I broke out the propane stove and big pot and started straightening hair. I like the fullness of a wookiees with kinky hair but this particular type of hair is just too kinky for my taste. The hot water really pulls the kinks right out of it. Makes it arrow straight after its dry. The whole process is really fast. It takes more time to get the hair out of the packaging, than it does to actually make it straight.

before and after comparison.

i like the pot being on the floor due to the length of the hair.

Heat da water,

dunk da hair

pull it out slowly and hang it out to dry.

its just that simple. I did 14 packs in 20 minutes and it took 10 minutes for the water to boil so there ya go. Arrow straight hair in 20 minutes or less. i would have done all my hair but i had to leave for work.
Thanks
Jason
crow62 (Giovanni Rodriguez)
Ecuador Outpost CO
Ecuador Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kanelakon came with this instructions,did you readed?
Looks that the hot water is the best way to give shape you want to the hair, in our case we don't need to use the rod, the time suggested is 15 seconds in hot water and will straight the hair.

Gio
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: