About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=06f200f0432fcfd437ec5b2500a19fe3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rhinestone jewelry
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
..:Jayne:.. ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Rhinestone jewelry Reply with quote

Hi!
I would like to make a parade costume and besides problems with finding the right fabric (I deciced to use silk. Endless! Smile) I can't find where to buy this forehaed piece. It's really beautiful and I want to avoid to make it by myself. I'm skillful, but I never did something like this. :I Don't you know where to buy it?
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that you can buy it. I think I've only ever seen "close" ones or ones that ladies have made themselves...?

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I saw close one too, but I've still got a feeling I saw someone with a similar piece even it looks like the one I think.
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say just keep your eyes peeled whereever you go - I have one that looks almost perfect that I found in a second hand shop.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you Smile Thanks for tip.
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. I would also suggest checking out estate sales and garage sales - I've found shoes, jewelry, and even some fabric for other costumes (mostly non-Star Wars ones but still) at those. I've also found that some jewelry makers at craft fairs will let you pick out stones and design your own pieces that they will make that day on site (depends on what they have on hand but if they are creating during the day its better for them to take a commission that they know they will sell then to just keep churning out pieces to set out and hope). Its a lot more work to do that much searching and scanning papers for sales and fairs. (I do have to credit my grandfather's friend with this strategy, she was an antique dealer for many many years and would spend her summers up in the Adirondacks with us - has a house next door to his - buying up pieces at estate sales and garage sales and little second hand stores that didn't know what they really had, then she would take them down to NYC/Long Island where she had her permanent residence and store and would clean them up and sell them for full value. She often took me along and would buy me something pretty that wasn't really valuable but that I liked amoungst the stuff she was looking for/at. Her specialty was antique jewelry - generally "costume" jewelry and hat pins and ladies dressing table accessories so I have a lot of really cool vintage pieces from those trips as a small child.)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So girls, I really appreciate your advices. Smile there weren't so heplful as I hoped, but still Thank you sooo much! I've checked out a lot second-hands and bijous etc. (btw, in Europe, especially in Czech Republic, there are NO things like garage sales Sad just markets... and there's nothing too at all ) Finally, after so many wasteful bids... yesterday, I decided to make my very own piece. I know what you mean... endless! Very Happy And know what? YES, it works! So, I'm not afraid to make things like jewels by myself. Not anymore! Smile)
http://tinyurl.com/3n36og3
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that looks great! I am also going to be doing this costume, and i have been looking into my options for that headpiece. I may use some silver curved pieces and connect them to the rhinestones, in that lattice pattern that is needed. It's a frustrating piece to be sure, and just looking at it makes me skeptical to try it, but, if there is a will, there is a way Smile
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Very Happy And make it yourself. I told you, this is the best way. It takes about one hour, oh and a lot of anger. Very Happy It contains silver chains, rhinestone chains and some plastic rhinestones (the type which is fine with glue, you'll affix them with glue gun). These things cost 10$. Well, if you don't have glue gun it's another 10 bucks plus. Very Happy I can say, it'll be better next time. You know what I mean. Right colour of chains and there shouldn't be chain on the top part.... However I like this version too. Smile and I think another very frustrating piece is The peace globe, also known as the discoball. Very Happy
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that looks great for never having made jewelry before! Smile

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's first time for everything Very HappyD I've never thought it's so easy. Well, not so much, but it's still possible to handle it. Next version will be better than this one. Hope so. Very Happy
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you have a better idea what is involved in making a piece of jewelry, I'm sure the next one will be easier. Have fun with it!

Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never made anything out of wire before, but i think it came out very well, i still need to add the figaro chains on each side, but the hard part is done. Nothing was glued, it is all just crystals and silver plated non-tarnish german style wire, with silver rhinestone straight ends on each side. It is held together just with the wire itself. I made the dangling ones by putting the first crystal through the wire and then a simple twist of the wire, adding another smaller crystal, one more small twist and then the last crystal, then twisting and bending the wire under it to finish it off. I may end up putting a very small dot of glue under each dangling stone to ensure the wire doesnt come through eventually. Queen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks great Sandy!

Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: