About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b3e45d58ab650b8ca375f4bf101db19eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Apr. 16th Armor Prop Party - The Tusken Hoard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Tranquility Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Apr. 16th Armor Prop Party - The Tusken Hoard Reply with quote

Time for another armor/prop party at my house!

When: April 16th (Saturday) (Darned near set in stone, but subject to change, pending.../meh, never know).

Where: SithariRog's House
PM for address/directions

Time: The Usual...roughly 10 am-ish until you guys decide to leave.

Theme: TUSKENS!!! There's several folks who are putting together tuskens and we're gearing up to have the masks, the robes and gaffi sticks all ready to make during the party. Mask forms are ordered for those who jumped on the caravan early enough. For those who want one and didn't get one ordered with the group, see the next post). If you want a gaffie, let me know so I can have the pineapples ready to carve.

Of course....anyone can come and work on anything they like.

Yes, there will be eats, as usual. I'll take suggestions as to what we have for "dinner". And, as always...bring what ever you want to snack on or what ever you want to drink. Although I don't have a problem with alcochol, it's not been a major component to these parties at my house. Regardless, if you want it, bring it. If you puke in my house...I'll beat you.

Roster:(again, the roster is just to give me an idea of how many to prepare for)
Patch
Deanna
Coozco
JiveTurkey
Shyrax
Daisy & Shanny (and Cody) (STRONG tentative)
Peelee
Roll & Amber
Tom? (YAY!)
Caboose? (and a friend?)
Monk

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, for those of you who need costume pictures for updating/submitting to either the 501st or RL (or both)...or just need a new picture for a snazzy new avatar or sig, bring your costume and we'll get suited up and get those pics made!

And now for some basic info regarding the Tusken:

Tusken Parts:
We can break the Tusken costume down into the following components:
-mask form (the base of the mask on which all of the parts and wraps are attached to form the classic Tusken mask)
-the mask appendages (four horns, two bloodspitters, two eye pieces and one nose piece). I’m making these and will have them available ONLY to those either in our costuming groups or to those who are committing to join our costuming groups. These will be an “at cost” deal and probably not be more than $5-$10 for the whole set.
-the robe (the base robe that is required for Tuskens)
-the cloak (OPTIONAL) (the outer “robe” that is worn on top of the base robe and is not required for Tusken approval)
-the sash (a cloth belt that wraps around the waste)
-bandoliers (leather belts and pouches…one bandolier is necessary for an approved Tusken, two is better and three allowed)
-a breather (only required for A New Hope version) (made from a piece of metal tubing and a fuel filter (and maybe a few more things)
-gloves and boots
-weapon (can be either a gaffi (or gaderffi) stick or a rifle…we will be concentrating on the gaffi sticks, which can be somewhat variable in design. Some will be making rifles, but these are a custom and an individual project and may be considered for future prop parties where we might concentrated on weapon design)

There are three main parts that we can work on during the prop party: (1) the mask, (2) the main robe (and sash), and (3) the gaffi stick…and maybe (4) gloves and boots

We will touch upon making the bandoliers, but probably won’t make any (though I might have one in the process of being made and will demonstrate how I’ll be doing it).

So…the materials you can have ready for the armor/prop party could be the following:

1. A mask form. You can get these from http://www.studiocreations.com and they go for about $25 for one, or $26 for two…or even less (per mask) if you order more. I’m placing an order by the end of the week so we can have some by mid-April.
2. A strip of leather (stained dark brown) to wrap the mouth. About a “belt’s” worth should be good. I’ve got stain and may have some scrap leather, but…heading to Tandy Leather to pick up a belt blank may be a good idea. Belt blanks or scrap leather should be under $20 (and for scraps, maybe even under $10). IF you get scraps…make sure they’re NOT felt and NOT already stained (unless they’re the right color).
3. The best material for the robe is called “Monk’s Cloth”. It’s a heavily woven and thick fabric that is somewhat pricey (Wal-mart has it for around $7/yd…JoAnn’s Fabrics has it for $10/yd). Regardless, the material needs to be “sand” colored. Buying white is okay, but it may need staining and dirtying up. You’ll need 4 yards for a basic robe. If you’re taller than 6’2” and heavier than 225, then you might consider 5 or 6 yards of material. You could also use fabrics like cotton gauze, muslin or osnaberg, but these materials (especially the muslin) are too thin and would need doubling up to look right (making them twice as expensive…and, therefore, on par with the cost of the Monk’s Cloth). I found onsaburg at Wal-mart (today, 3/10) for $2.50!!! Dang, I may stock up just to have some around!!!
4. Duck cloth for the wraps for the mask. You don’t need more than a yard and this is available almost everywhere. And yes, I said “duck” cloth. It’s sort of a khaki-green and may be called "duck canvas"
5. Gaffi stick components: a 1.25” to 1.5” wooden dowel (3’-4’ long) and a PVC elbow (from Lowe’s and probably less than $3). I’ve got enough wood for 2-3 pineapples, but I bought a 4’x8” pine board. Any scrap wood will do. If it’s not big enough, we can glue enough pieces together to make a pineapple. I'm thinking of making one "nipple" for the pineapple, then molding and casting them from resin. I may have these ready by the prop party.
6. Leather work gloves and a pair of boots that are high enough to be covered by the robe (maybe mid calf high or higher).

Regarding the metal end, I've not thought about that other than welding some steel fins onto a metal spike. I'll research this.

There are other components needed, but we’ll be plenty busy working on this stuff at the April 16th armor/prop party. The other site to visit for costuming standards is http://www.kraytclan.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=18580da9f103522aa7f15a8890e159fd

If you have questions, please let me know.

***March 10th***
The mask form order has been placed. I've ordered 9 masks forms. We needed 8, so I have one extra. I'm not odering any more mask forms for this project. Anyone else that wants to join the Tusken build would need to get a mask from studiocreations.com
Masks have been ordered for:
myself
Eric (in the event I destroy his existing mask...which is probable)
Patch
Deanna
Caboose (x2)
Pelee
Sgt. Amber
Oh, and mask form are $15. Just pay me when you pick up your pack form (likely duing the prop party).

PS (And, Amazing Goop...don't forgetTONSof Amazing Goop)

Rumble (Beth)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/does the 'more targets' dance.
"Time for some thrilling heroics."
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think...you may be outnumbered that day Wink

I'm hoping to have mine near done by then so I can concentrate on helping the hoard with their costumes. I'm running by Lowe's tomorrow* to get the rest of the stuff for my gaffi...MAN, my gaffi is going to be freaking sweet!

*Though I could just use Lowe's as my second address since I'm there almost every weekend. You'd think they'd get to know me and stop asking me if I need help. What am I going to say....yeah, I need to by replacment parts for my lightsaber...or yeppers, I'm making a gaffie, you got pineapples here? lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Tranquility Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: