About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ad9b244f93a59773e3d951a981171119Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ackbar Mask
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rebel Command Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terrys (Terry Stephenson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Ackbar Mask Reply with quote

I just finished my Ackbar mask. I still have a couple of details to put in, but hoping to get this passed in the next month or so.

This is a complete from scratch build.

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m573/tstephen77/Admiral%20Ackbar%20Build/
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! That's some good work!
Tigerantilles (Gregor Sink)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks amazing!!!

.....but I can't help but feel this may be a trap.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really good!! Ackbar mask is not a trap, but hot & humid to wear.

I have some reference pics collected on:
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/NordicTS842/Ackbar%20reference/
Please feel free to use them in your project.

--It's a snackbar! Admrl Snackbar on your service--
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive...

What are you going to do for the whiskers?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiskers-

When I finished the clay sculpt, I trimmed the whiskers out and left some nubs. When pouring the detail mold (inside orange rubber mold) it made natural icicle drips.

You can kinda see this in one of the pictures in the link. Around 2/20 (i dated the pics) Lots of small drips from the lip and eyes. I let these build up, trimmed off. Reapplied to final mask. tada!

Perfect size and length in most cases. I then put them into the plug holes I made in the piece. There is not any pics of that, but I have about 8-10 wiskas of various lengths and shapes. Little hits of a hot air gun to shape.

For additional ones, I just continued to add nearly solid liquid rubber to the clay piece and let it slowly drip off.
Nomi Darklighter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work! Congratulations! bow

MTFBWY
Claudia
Colonel Dash Rendar (Thomas Riedel)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply said:

It is absolutely a dream! Wonderful!

Jedi are forbidden to take revenge - Rebels not.
Rebels face the Imperials, Jedi face the Sith.
These Brothers-in-Arms fight for the rebirth of the Republic.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Working now on the belt boxes. I am making molds for them and casting them in a white resin plastic. Also working on the eyes to be inserted into the mask. Casting a second one that is pre-colored in the mold. Now that I know how thick I can go and some of the attention spots that ended up a tad thin in the casting. This will probably be the last silicone one I do.

Later next week I should have my materials to make a mold out of gypsum so that I can replicate this in latex. Latex does not cure in the mold I made and the painting of silicone is about a much fun as the flu. I like the movement and feel of silicone, but a little more hassle than I want.

Doing them in latex then allows me to better color match up with the hands which are latex now. I chose not to do hands for the moment. Though I would like a set that are wider in the forearms. AA arms should be larger and a dominate feature which is not so much the case now with what is out there.
Admrl Snackbar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see how you managed with eyes. Not easy task to complete!

For the beltboxes; I made wooden positive templates and vacuumformed them. Need to make new ones as the plastic was too thin. Lasted only for one troop.

--It's a snackbar! Admrl Snackbar on your service--
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the painting of the good admiral.

Pretty happy with the way it turned out. Silicone painting is a real challenge. I am waiting on the plastic balls for eyes and then I will pop them in. hard part is done though. Some of the photos distort the shape as it is sitting on a post and does not have the padding in it.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Done. Submitting soon.

GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely fantastic. Did you cast in latex or silicone? It's hard to tell from your posts.

What did you make the eyes out of?

Are you going to see out of the mouth and nostrils?
Nomi Darklighter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fantastic! I like it very much. And this is all made from scrap. I can't believe it.

MTFBWY
Claudia
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's made of silicone. Dragon skin. This is a complete from scratch build to final mask. Just images and movie as reference. Pre-colored silicone prior to casting. 5 layers of color on top of that. total time was around 70-80 hours.

Vision is through the mouth only. Not bad, not great. I have just a small mouth opening. I hate the smooch lips look for a larger field of vision. it's not about me right...I can see and move around safely. Not great for people watching that is for sure. 3/8 inch by 4 inch slit.

Air is fine as this seals to the shoulders for an airtight fit. All air goes through vision point. Kinda like a big snorkel. I wore it for an hour and it was fine. Sweaty, but I was not gasping for air or having to steal the fans from my TK bucket. You can always crush the mask around your face and it pops out bringing in a fresh run of air if it gets stuffy. (wished my TK could do that)

I show how I did the eyes deeper in the pictures in the link. They are 80mm plastic ornament balls that come apart in the middle. Factorydirectcraft.com if you care. Like a buck or something each. I then cut out part one each sphere making 2 giant contact lenses. Used a dremmel to cut. super easy. Sand them to make the cut flat. I painted the back side of one and glued them together. Looked a little like a clam in shape. Then secured to the head using silicone sealant in the socket of the head. I think it took like an hour to do these. Most of that was waiting on paint. Lots of folks hang up on this step. It was the easiest. Eyes are so focal and critical to the piece IMO. painting on the outside makes them look too buggy to me. You just have to be a bit careful not to scratch them throwing the mask around. I made several sets for replacement just in case.

Later this summer, I will finish a version for Ibtisam. Calamari X-winger from rogue squadron. I see no evidence this has been done or tried. I have already casted a head for it, just need to finish detail on the painting...and then find an x-winger to wear it...Should be one of a kind. The blue/green calamari is going to look killer I think. Trying to talk the girls here in Kash base to try it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rebel Command Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: