About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8af8dc581b4c0edeab0fe72dc20695afMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Obi-Wan CW Season 3 Boots?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Obi-Wan CW Season 3 Boots? Reply with quote

Hello all -

A quick question: I've started working on a CW Season 3 Obi-Wan costume, so I'm trying to pull the various pieces together. I found a pair of boots that seem to be AOTC boots, but I'm not sure if they would be acceptable for CW3 if the top three straps were removed. There currently aren't any guidelines up, so I'm not certain. Are there any LCJ's who could venture an opinion? One thing I do notice is that the spat seems to be sewn on, but I'm not sure that's a problem, particularly for the animated series. Here's the boots I saw:

And here is a reference shot of CW3 Obi-Wan:

I'm aware that Jose Daniels boots come highly recommended, but I had hoped to have this together in a few weeks -- likely shorter than his lead time.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Rorr/Drey

Last edited by Rorrlancca () on Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I'm aware of Obi-Wan's boots from season 3 are the same as his ROTS boots

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ky-Wan Zann wrote:
From what I'm aware of Obi-Wan's boots from season 3 are the same as his ROTS boots

i was under the same impression as Jason. but from the photo you supplied it looks like the boots on Obi don't have the top three bands on them could just be a a bad angle or something idk.

As far as boots go. i would recommend you to go all out I have a pair of daniels boots and they are awesome. worth every penny and being on you feet with this hobby all the time, you want to be as comfortable as possible.
plus later on you be having costume boots malfunctions. and they look just amazing. but thats my 2 cents worth.
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the three straps on top of the boot are a giveaway. That is a pleather version of his Episode I boot. The Episode III boot has only one strap at the bottom.
Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks -

Yes, I understand about the top three straps -- I'm asking the LCJ's if those straps are removed, would it pass as a CW3 boot? I'm actually more concerned about the spats being sewn on than anything else, but without the top three straps (and I'm reasonably confident I can remove them fairly easily), it looks to my unpracticed eye to be a good match for the boots Obi-Wan wears in Season 3 of Clone Wars.

But I don't trust my unpracticed eye. Very Happy

Regarding the Daniels boots, from everything I've read here, they are most definitely worth the time and the money. I'll likely be getting some at some point if I decided to troop in this costume much, but these boots are readily available and time is more of a factor than the money. If any of the judges could take a look, I'd appreciate it! I totally understand (and agree) that the standards for face characters are higher, so that's why I thought I would ask first.

Best regards,
Rorr/Drey

Last edited by Rorrlancca () on Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front spat on the normal boot hides the lace up fronts, so with the zipper on the side I don't think the sewn down spat it that big a deal. I remember looking at these boots quite a while back - there was never a shipping time on them, they wanted you to pre-order them, so best check closely to see if the company actually has them in stock.

Also, I would find out if the top three straps unattached and therefore could be removed. They look similar to the bottom strap - built into the boot itself, with only the loops on the outside showing any gap or space between the boot and the material, and very exact in spacing. I'd have to ask if those are removable at all without causing irreparable damage to the boot.

If you need a direct LCJ ruling, you should probably PM one of them.

If you are willing to spend the cash and want good quality OWK boots in short order, I got mine from Museum Replicas. They're exact matched boots and I had them in about 3 days.
Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediMasterMark wrote:
The front spat on the normal boot hides the lace up fronts, so with the zipper on the side I don't think the sewn down spat it that big a deal.

That's a good point, actually. In the CW image, where the spat meets the rest of the boot it looked like it might be a hidden zipper of some sort, but in thinking about it, of course you're right -- they're going to tie in the front, with the laces covered by the spat. I'm not sure what the policy on zippers is, but I could see that as disqualifying these boots..

JediMasterMark wrote:
If you are willing to spend the cash and want good quality OWK boots in short order, I got mine from Museum Replicas. They're exact matched boots and I had them in about 3 days.

Hmm. That's an interesting thought. How well do they fit? Not as good as custom-made boots, naturally, but even if I had Daniel make me a pair, I'd really want -something- to wear in the between time. The PU boots are cheap enough that I don't really care how they fit -- my current ones in this style fit well enough with gel insoles. But for $350, I guess I'd want them to fit a bit better.

Decisions, decisions. You've convinced me that probably these boots aren't good enough to pass. The question is do I "settle" for the MR boots or just get the PU boots and go informal while waiting for Daniel to make me a custom pair? I guess it depends on what the MR boots are like. My dark browns aren't close enough to wear with an Obi costume, even informally, I don't feel. Any recommendations?

Thanks again, this is very helpful...

Rorr/Drey

UPDATE:
I sent an inquiry to Daniel (JDOS Productions, jdos_props at yahoo.com is the email address he wants people to use, by the way), and got a very quick reply. Let me add my voice to being impressed by his professionalism. He says that the EpIII boots run $320.50 (plus Xoom charges or +20% for PayPal) and would probably be ready around mid-May. That's obviously a long wait, though of course the quality is worth it.

Mark, how do those MR boots fit? Do they run narrow by any chance? I have narrow calves and feet; I wear a 10B normally, but usually a pair of size 10 boots with a gel insert does fine. The cost between the MR and JDOS boots is comparable, and I have to admit that the quick delivery with MR is attractive...

Thanks again!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drey,

I've had the MR OWK boot for about seven months now. They’re (of course) exact replicas of the Episode III boot, and it was easy enough for me to adapt some straps from Tandy to it to create his Episode I or II boot as well (more bang for your buck, right?). As for the fit, the benefit of lace-up fronts mean that if you have large calves or narrow calves, you are in a pretty good shape for the boot being as tight or loose around your calf as you want. As for the foot base, I’m sure they’re not as tight as ‘custom’ boots, but I’ve got a gel insole in, they fit very well and are quite comfortable. I strolled around for four hours this past weekend in a troop and have no issues with them, except that you get a lot of compliments on the quality of the boot! The only complaint I have, and this may be universal to the design, is the sole of the shoe. There is no traction, rubber or anything like that. But some add-on pads should be able to remedy that as well.

I dropped MR an email and they confirmed they had them in stock, and can probably give you more detail as well. Hope that helps!
Obi-Jeff Kenobi (Jeff Hoyle)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear could i get a pair of the Clone Wars arm goutlets that are now used for Jedi with there formal jedi costume?
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi-Jeff Kenobi was a bit off-topic when he wrote:
Where could I get a pair of the Clone Wars arm gauntlets that are now used for Jedi with their formal Jedi costume?

...fixed in the quote...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: