About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=06ce0d1bdf27e174538f1aa34b10492aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Episode II travel/refugee gown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like your dedication to the accuracy of this gown! How much is the fabric going to end up costing you??

gunslingerpadme ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on doing the design in three parts:
1: the main paisly
2: the center motif running down the front, back, and side seams:
http://padawansguide.com/padme/gold/padme_gold_promo2.jpg

http://padawansguide.com/padme/gold/padme_gold_promo1.jpg

3: the cuff fabric/term used to cover her shoulders:
http://padawansguide.com/padme/gold/lars_travel_close.jpg

That's three different frabrics to design by hand, and I haven't designed a weight. I am definately ordering their sample swatches of their just plain, but by the looks of my untrained eye, it loks like a good choice might be their interlock knit, which runs about $27 a yard, or $24 with whatever their designer discount is, which, if I was reading their FAQ page, is for the person designing the fabric gets.

You'd obviously need the most of the paisly like fabric. But with the others, if I can get it going in a repeating pattern, and if I find out that it's the same motif, just worked different, you'd need a LOT less of it, you'd just have to do a little creative piecing with it.

And thank you, Mieal Deneb ! I've always thought with this costume that what made it so pretty was the fit and the fabrics, and how they fit together to make this piece of art. And by doing it this way, I really want to give other people access to it as well, much like with the dressing gown trim from Episode Three. We're all on these boards just trying to make the best costumes we can.

And between now and buying fabric, you bet your bottom dollar I'm going to be working on loosing some pounds! Less inches, less fabric, LOL!

~Laura
princessadrelia ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: fabric Reply with quote

Hey girls!

perhaps this fabric could work but its not perfect Confused

http://www.puresilks.us/index.php?route=product/product&path=5&product_id=954
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here...not sure on the pattern size:
http://www.ethanallen.com/fabric?fabricId=3169759

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentleBant I like the second fabric you posted, the one from ethan allen. I think it could work, but you're right, we don't know the scale. I wonder if they do swatches?
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look and see if the Ethan Allen in town is still open. Maybe I can swing by after doing preschool drop-off tomorrow.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped by today.

The bad news? The paisley is huge, so it probably wouldn't work.

However, the intriguing news is how many different fabrics they have in-store that don't appear online. I had the baby with me, so I couldn't browse too much, but at a glance, there were several books of fabrics I want to go back and examine more closely, including some for other Padmé gowns.

If you have an Ethan Allen nearby, I strongly recommend meeting with their decorator and going through the gazillions of sample booklets they have. The lady I met today suggested I bring some pics of what I'm looking for and she'll help me tackle the search. She was intrigued by the RL in the sense that she wants to work with charities to help kids, doing MAW-type wishes for designing "dream" rooms for terminally ill children.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gunslingerpadme wrote:
Thanks to a friend over on livejournal, I've discovered the site:

http://www.spoonflower.com/spoonflower_fabrics

which holds the possibility of creating a lot of the fabric for this gown, when willing to put in the hard work of designing it. I consider myself one of the lucky ones: I have a very limiting artistic ability, but I have a dad who has tons, and comes from a family who has tons.

From what we know about the main design, it's a repeating 30cm by 30cm pattern. Pick that out out of the many reference pictures, painstakingly draw it out and color in, and see what fabric weight it would go with on this site.

I think it's the best idea so far than screen printing and getting it machine embroidered, and it opens it up to being repeated by others who want to do the gown. Now, nothing has been done to this point- I just found this sight tonight and got so excited about the possibilities! A second design could be made for the cuffs, center and back designs and such, but the thing is it could be done, and possibilities always lead to more people making more efforts to thinking outside the box more!

~Laura

So you inspired me, and I spent a great deal of time playing with photos of the fabric, and am ordering swatches of what I came up with. I had forgotten the name of the site you used, and actually stumbled on spoonflower on my own!

From what I see on Padawan's, the skirt looks like 4 pieces of the fabric (front, left, back, right), tapering to just a front/back at the waist. My version of the repeat ended up being 16 inches from the edge to the center design...we'll see how it looks! I ordered Linen-Cotton Canvas and Upholstery-weight twill swatches...I'll post pics when I get them.

I think I may have (another) new project...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And did sample art mock-up of the capelet fabric, too...ordered swatches today.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so my swatches didn't turn out quite as I'd hoped; the pattern sort of digitalized funny and the reddish-purples weren't the best color, either.

I'm reworking the art for it to see if I can fix that.

I also went out and bought some materials to make the helmet/crown. I think I'm going to try and frame it out of wire form metal mesh, then fill in some with jewelry wire, and then cover the rest in a very thin, textured layer of sculpey. Does that sound like a doable idea?
Puerto Rico Base CO
Puerto Rico Base CO

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tons of good luck to you!! This is really the most expected proyect ever!

Detachment Leader / Former Legion Costume Judge
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wire/mesh should be a nice structure for you to sculpt over. This is going to be very awesome to see all finished up! Much luck to you. Smile
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: How should I bake the headpiece after I get in covered in sculpey?

I've been thinking about this one for months, and all I can come up with is to either do it in two pieces and glue them together after (so I can lay it flat), or to try and get it to sit somehow, hanging over something.

Also, it seems to me that the lace cover is NOT worn over the actual helmet/crown/headpiece. If you look at these two side shots, the thickness and angles on the way the lace rests don't match up.
http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/gold/chronicles2.jpg
http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/gold/chronicles6.jpg
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just reviving this thread - have you guys made any progress on the fabric? This has always been a dream dress of mine, and as such, I'd be very interested in the fabrics Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in hearing about fabric updates too Very Happy . I'm very excited to see you taking on this project.

GentalBant, I haven't had much luck with handing an item for baking. It usually tips over when the heat changes but maybe someone has had some luck and will post their tips.
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: