About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=904e98ebdf4e4f58c839ab73185a28bdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Solo prospect with some questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandtrooperscout (Mark Tomasello)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Solo prospect with some questions Reply with quote

Greetings fellow Renegades, Rebels and Rogues!

I'm looking to return the Rebel Legion, and need a little direction in my quest for Han Solo. I've read thru the various threads (to some extent) and the stickies, and still have a few questions remaining.

My wife is pretty sure she can sew up what I need after looking at whats posted here, but I'm wondering if there is a pattern for the vest and shirt. We found the one for the Bespin Jacket and dont need one for the pants.

Also what type of fabric would you recommend?

Lastly, does anyone have a source for the gun belt? I'm not much when it comes to scratch building, so perhaps "outsourcing" that would be more my speed, lol. Feel free to pm that info if needed.

Thanks guys! Hoping to join your ranks soon!

Cobalt60

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 'docker twill' for the vest.

IIRC, harrison ford's pants were a sort of brushed cotton/denim,
but again I'd just use docker twill. (like the heavy-weight levi's dockers).

Bob could probably give you suggestions for the shirt.

it'll be cotton.. nothing too stretchy like a tshirt, but nothing too stiff either.
(technical terms elude me) Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cobalt. I also saw the duck cloth mentioned for the vest as well in the various threads. We're gonna go fabric looking Monday.

Still looking for a pattern for the shirt and a point in the right direction for the gun belt/holster. Wink

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question, if you dont mind....

I was thinking of getting a BlasTech blaster, but have heard that they are undersized and smaller than the original. Is that true?

Cobalt60

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which verson are you doing? you mentioned the ESB jacket..
the pattern for the ESB/ROTJ shirt looks like this

I don't know if there's a good pattern for the ANH shirt.
Magnoli makes one, if you want to study the pictures (or buy one for $99)
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/falcon-shirt-shirts-p-343.html

-==-

my holster was a $60 holster from costumebase / utopiabase.
(actually it was 2 holsters, combined. hehe) Confused
I gotta warn you though, the ones they make now are a lot cheaper than the ones I got a few years ago. the 'pleather' is really thin and it won't hold any kind of real weight. if you get a costumebase holster I'd recommend a plastic gun. and/or a lot of modifications, to strengthen it. beyond that its got all the necessary details, its just missing one pouch.

MP productions makes the best holster.
http://www.mpfilmcraft.com/mpfilmcraft/Han.html it looks like he's still taking orders.
(this is the cadillac of holsters - pricey @$400, but you could pretty much go to war with it. heh) Wink

-===-

I have no experience with blastech. I have a converted airsoft (plastic), and a few master replicas. the master replicas are spot-on, but heavy.
the airsoft is the right proportions (same as the MR).

if you want a master replicas, the best deal was always starworld on ebay. they had overstock luke ESB blasters for $225. they work great for han ESB too.
(their listings are down right now, but you could always keep checking).

also, I think toynk has new luke ESB blasters in stock still , but they are more like $350(ish). Neutral

-===-

doopy's has resin kits for the droid caller and the ANH blaster.
http://www.doopydoos.com/star-wars-props-and-replicas-31-c.asp

-====-

if you need the 3-hole trousers-belt, its ~$3+shipping Razz
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390237723045
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, for the ESB shirt I would go with a cotton... not to thin though. The one thing I would recomend is really look at the layers of the ESB shirt and you will notice that there are multiple layers where the placids come together. You will not want anything to stiff. Should be able to get something on the cheap at any fabric store

The blastech blasters.. like the original Kenner runs a bit smaller but if you go with a cheaper holster will save the life of the holster for it is extremely light. If you decide to go with anything that uses a solid broomhandle mauser ( much heavier) you will want to go with a solid holster… like an MP production holster… if you do not make it yourself.

sandtrooperscout wrote:
Thanks Cobalt. I also saw the duck cloth mentioned for the vest as well in the various threads. We're gonna go fabric looking Monday.

Still looking for a pattern for the shirt and a point in the right direction for the gun belt/holster. Wink

I would not go with Duck cloth because its not correct. There are many who are confused with fabrics, and I will try to explain it a bit here. At first glance Duct cloth seems to be a sturdy fabric… and it is. However the grain direction is not correct, and because of it, will not look quite right. You see the grain direction for Duct cloth is up and down, where as Denim/ twill is an angle cloth grain wise. Its this angle grain that you will want… trust me. It costs is nothing that you cant afford and should really work to using the right fabrics.

I would spend some time going thru some of these threads here, and I think you will find many useful threads to help make your purchasing decisions. Don’t waste money… buy right the first time.

Han Archive

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to send me Pm’s

Bob Kohn
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt, that ebay link was great. Much cheaper for the belt than the one I was watching. Saved me some cash there!

I was originally thinking of doing a ROTJ Han, but after going through the various threads and Bob's archives, now I'm thinking ESB might be a bit easier. At least, there seems to be more out there for ANH & ESB versions than Jedi.

Thanks for the info on blastech, Bob. I guess I figured since they sold Denix mauser replicas, they'd actually use them in their completed pieces. Unless the Denix itself is undersized, which I havent heard. **shrug**

I had thought of starting off with a costumebase holster, and then maybe doing what jedimika did and use it as a pattern for a scratch-build, but I am apparently too big for them, lol. According to their size chart I'd need an xxl holster. I've seen the MP gun rigs, and while they are amazing, I'm not sure I can drop that much cash on a gunbelt. That would chew up a large portion of my budget at the moment.

Thanks for the help guys! I know I'll have more questions here soon!

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denix blasters are awesome! Good luck with your build... take lots of pictures and keep us in the loop.

Bob
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if someone makes the gunbelt buckles for sale? I've seen MP no longer sells them separate from their belts. I'm thinking of buying a costumebase set up, just to have something to use as a pattern for making my own, but I dont want to use their buckles.

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think MP stopped offering them because he felt he was not selling the whole belt set as much because of it. Tells you how much he was profiting from them I guess.

I am unaware of anyone who make a quality belt buckle. If you are looking for visual documentation we have that. I guess that is something we should make so someone can print out a pattern for tracing.... just another thing to do I guess...lol

Below is a visual as to the shapes they should be per movie:

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, mate! I'm sure gonna owe you a beer or three someday.

Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BELT

+ BE aware! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390237723045 - I ordered this specific belt, and they send me different (similar one) - in the end - I was able to modify it ... but mine friend ordered also one (for his Solo projet) and got Punk Spike Gothic Leather belt ... and for him, it was waste of money ...

BLASTER

For mine ESB Han, I am using cinemastery blaster - I can highly recommend (really nice piece of work and realy cheap)

HOLSTER, BELT

You can ask costumebase for lower price - for them - all prices are negotiable Wink - you can save lot of money (like me ... Smile )

Quality is question - I trooped lot of time with this belt and holster without problems - but friends of mine, after first troop, they were forced to fix damages ...

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Executive Officer
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Costume Base belt and holster is very cheaply made. I trooped with mine for about a year before I started having to hold it together with duct tape!

Check out Jedi Mika's build here:
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21900

Also my own build here:
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26115

It is a shame MP doesn't do the buckles. I want to do my own ESB belt and could use some.

I am thinking of using my MP ANH buckles as templates and experimenting with different metals and thickness.

I definately recommend building your own. You will be so proud of doing it yourself. And you can get a higher quality belt and holster that will last and last.

Maybe Bob do you have any suggestions as to how to make the buckles and what materials?

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair wrote:
BELT

+ BE aware! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390237723045 - I ordered this specific belt, and they send me different (similar one) - in the end - I was able to modify it ... but mine friend ordered also one (for his Solo projet) and got Punk Spike Gothic Leather belt ... and for him, it was waste of money ...

thats horrible. I ordered 3 at that price, from that same link, and I got all I paid for.
its exactly what I was expecting. they sent me the right belt -- it looks just like the picture (x3)

I'm dissappointed to hear they sent you the wrong item Neutral
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just had to share. My wife decided to jump in and intervene a bit. Besides making my pants, shirt and jacket, she's also ok'd an MP gunbelt! Already talked to Matt there and it's ordered and in the run he's starting up!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: