About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f9713b62e4b0145e9875884ecaf89564Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New member trying to get Padme Ep. II Refugee Gown approved.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: New member trying to get Padme Ep. II Refugee Gown approved. Reply with quote

I have a new member trying to get her refugee costume approved and it was sent back saying that her sleeve material wasnt correct and that the skirt needed to poof out some more, but my new potential member said the material they are wanting is impossible to find. I am trying to assist her and i dont want to lose her as a new member to my base. Can anyone lend any assistance? I will try to upload pics here soon of her.
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.padawansguide.com/gold_images.shtml The sleeve fabric a non shiny finish with a pebble texture, not a shiny satin fabric.

Not sure if this fabric is too heavy/upholstery weight for the sleeves but it is a bit closer to the look
http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=c55f075f-d15c-46a5-9716-36721a0d92e7

The gown also should not be shaped like a four leaf clover at the hem, it needs to be a cone shape and will need proper petticoat or hoop skirt under it to obtain the needed flair.
Legion XO
Legion XO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: :) Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Mary Alice!!!! Very Happy I have passed this info along to my recruit!
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just what Mary Alice said, what I told the enlistee was that the sleeves need to be non-shiny and I believe I suggested a hoop or something for the hem of the skirt to make it round like the original. If she has further questions, you can always PM me.

Also, the head veil should be more like lace rather than the organza with embroidery. http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/gold/chronicles4.jpg (copy and paste)

Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the exact texture/pattern in the original can't be found, then a very textured crepe fabric that is matte finish would be what I would try as a substitute. The satin is just too shiny.

And I was wondering about the lace for the headpiece, but see that Rachel did have that as another correction point.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so that she's aware, the non-shiny sleeve fabric should also be used for the drape under the chin. The under-chin drape should not be shiny material either.

Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: :) Reply with quote

Yes, i had noted the skirt needing to be cone shaped with the help of a hoop skirt, and the face/neck material needing to be non-shiny, along with the head fabric needing to be more lace. I have given her all of the links and explained everything to her very well. Hopefully she will do the repairs and revisions and decide to resubmit.

Thank you again to both of you, for answering me on this with swiftness.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for helping her out. We don't get many Padme travel gowns, I hope she fixes the things and resubmits. Smile

SpaceBuns (Sonya Hall)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to do this one a couple years ago, but gave up because of not being able to find a match for the fabric that was close enough. The costume standards say that for the dress:

Floor length underdress with sage and grape paisley pattern on a mustard yellow background. The center front, sides, and center back of the gown have a larger, coordinating pattern in a vertical stripe. Fitted capelette in same colors but larger pattern then underdress.

With these stated requirements, will the fabric that was used be accepted? I think the dress needs to be longer also, so you can't really see her feet. The requirements also state that she needs to have the maroon calf-length cape, which I personally don't agree with as being required, since there is a scene in the movie where she isn't wearing it, I think when she and Anakin are sitting down eating.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately a hoop (skirt) alone is not going to get a cone shape to the skirt. The panels here have been cut with a curved flare which will need to be recut into straight diagonals- which may not be possible as the skirt fits very closely through the upper legs.

But then I don't know how close the costume needs to be to be approved, this is just looking at it from a purely academic view Smile
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpaceBuns wrote:
...The requirements also state that she needs to have the maroon calf-length cape, which I personally don't agree with as being required, since there is a scene in the movie where she isn't wearing it, I think when she and Anakin are sitting down eating.

You bring up a great point, and I noticed the discrepancy in the standards before and meant to bring it to the LMO's attention. I guess I should do that before she resubmits her costume.

gunslingerpadme ()

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, with the standards, it depends on what head gear you are doing. If you are doing the lace, you shouldn't have to have the cape, due to the scene with Anakin aboard the transport. The cape is only with the metal "helmet" head gear. That might be where there is some confusion?
RoninJedi (Ann Marie)
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
Just so that she's aware, the non-shiny sleeve fabric should also be used for the drape under the chin. The under-chin drape should not be shiny material either.

While I agree that it should be non-shiny, in looking at the promo still it does not look like the under-chin drape is made from the same fabric. It does not have the pebbled texture and it is a darker shade.

http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/gold/fidm.jpg

Just don't want her to be buying new fabric and still not get the right stuff. I know how much it sucks to remake a costume, and no one wants to do it more than twice if they can help it Wink
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: :) Reply with quote

yes i agree, i know she is a little frustrated with trying to find the correct fabric to do what must be done for approval. It's so hard trying to make new recruits understand about the standards and that it is well worth the extra effort to make it screen accurate and to get it approved. My base is a small base and we can use all the help and members that we can get right now. I'm also trying to help out a han solo who just got turned down for my base as well, lol.
I will stay in contact with my new recruit and try to help her as much as i can. You have all been so very helpful!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: