Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=716de514804fbd2224c5a2dc7d5cf27cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Group costume project - X-WING PILOTS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

June, if you need orange twill fabric Eva (SiaLan Wezz) has a huge bolt of the stuff I used. The pattern I altered was the men's quick sew coveralls pattern. I don't remember the pattern number, but it is pretty easy to find in their pattern catalog. They run huge though, XS was still too big for me and I shortened the length at the waist to bring the crotch depth up and I also took in the side seams a lot!

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Lady Jedi 78 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeez I'm sorry, I must have missed the notification that another post was made here, or I would have checked it. Yes I still need to find fabric. If there's any left from that bolt, if there's enough for a flight suit I'd still be game. Do I just PM her to find out price, assuming she still has enough? Does she even still have it. I have followed up on a few promising sources, and swatches have been sent but I think it would be nice to match other Corsair squadron members. chickpilot
Lady Jedi 78 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I'm thinking I'm going to buy a used USAF mechanic/flightsuit coverall on Ebay and then pick it apart and use it as a pattern, it looks very similar which means there shouldn't be too many alterations involved. praying
I found some promising candidates for reasonable prices on ebay, what do you think of my idea?
I've looked in various places and haven't found a suitable pattern that I could alter, and I'm thinking they would be too large on me too so I'd want to size them down. I'll probably have to do that anyway with the USAF coverall too. But at least with that I can try it on, and alter it from there to fit.
Though I have made steps towards actually putting together that Helmet I got from Jedi Mickey, I was putting it off didn't want to mess it up once i got to the painting stage. But the 'Show us your Helmet' thread gave me ideas and confidence to try and start it. chickpilot
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi June,

If you need fabric Eva now has it available (she's all unpacked after her move). Contact her at eva.vanecek@yahoo.com

(FYI - I've heard Eva no longer wishes to offer this fabric to our base members as we originally discussed 2 years ago when I picked up the roll for her. Sorry Sad )

Well, I probably wouldn't get this style:

http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/item-7415.asp

That would be hard to convert due to zippers and what not all over it. I'd go for something like this:

http://www.coverallsale.com/wpe16.jpg
http://www.coverallsale.com/orange-coveralls.htm

Be sure to get two pair so you have fabric to make the correct collar, pockets etc Wink

Kay-Dee's Costume Site

Last edited by Kay_Dee (Kathy) on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Lady Jedi 78 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I followed those links, and I didn't want one like the one with the zippers, I wanted one more like the 2nd one. I've seen a few like the first, and that center zipper without flap I knew right away I didn't want, a alteration nightmare. I wanted one more like a mechanics overall, with the flaps and pockets, I was looking at the seems and closures, and they all seemed very similar to the X-wing flight suit pic that Matt provided. I think the most extensive alteration will be the collar though. Won't know till I buy and receive said jump suit.
I actually found a listing for 2 used coveralls too. So I can alter them and then pick'em apart and use'em as a master pattern. I want to do other pilots later like A-wing, and B-wing so I can use it later too.
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I wouldn't buy coveralls just to use as a master pattern. It will be much more effective to buy the kwik sew coveralls pattern! That's what I used. I'd only buy pre-existing coveralls if you intend to actually use them and convert them. Most are gigantic though and are very hard to taylor down to a thinner female frame. So that's why for my second coveralls (first was TIE Pilot - same thing - made from modified men's gigantic coveralls which were still gigantic after taking them in) I just started with the kwik sew pattern that I really had better control over tailoring down to my size.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

June, I saw that bolt of fabric at Eva's a couple of weeks ago.

http://endorbase.org/

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
http://endorbase.org/members.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lady Jedi 78 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Kathy, then where do I get this 'kwik sew' pattern? I don't think it's at Joann's (which I sometimes go to when we go down the hill) is it on a website? I don't have too many resources where I live (up in the sticks), it's mostly online that I pull from. I'm pretty handy at altering existing garments though, but I'm willing to try a pattern if it will save me some grief.

Thanks Matt, still gotta contact Eva about that fabric. Going to start my helmet today, and I'm getting excited! It's cold today up here though, and I won't be able to wear my fingerless gloves while I'm working, but I hope it turns out. praying
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sell kwiksew patterns at hancock fabrics. If you don't have one in driving distance, I know you can find places online to order it.

http://www.candleonthehill.net/store/catalog.php?item=167

FYI - I think I used the xs size in the pattern and it was still too big when I made that muslin. I had to raise the crotch depth (so it wasn't like, halfway down to my knees. Easy to do it at the waist line) and take in the sides.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI about the roll of orange fabric I brought to Eva from LA - I'd like to talk to Eva, but I heard from another member she no longer wishes to offer fabric to our base members from the huge roll I found for her/us in LA. Sad Sorry guys.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've heard a few members might be working on pilot costumes this year, I figured I'd bump this topic if anyone wants to discuss or ask questions here in the base forum. Smile

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Lady Jedi 78 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kathy, didn't reach all my sewing goals for 2010, my pilot costume is still not completed, I STILL have to finish my helmet, and I've yet to sew the orange jumpsuit. Real life really interfered, but I'm hoping that if i plan on completing fewer projects that I might actually get them done in 2011. I just ordered the pattern you linked to above as well.
I'm figuring that 3 costumes should be all I can hope to complete in between all my other sewing obligations and business sewing. What do you think of my list Kathy? Smile

1. Pilot costume, nothing says Star Wars Rebel like it does.
2. Arwen - for premiere of 'The Hobbit' Part 1.
3. New Age 2009 Star Trek Uniform, the hard part will be making it in Blue.

I'm thinking the Arwen one will be the most extensive elaborate time consuming costume I have planned for this year. I'm making the powder Blue dress from a deleted scene in TT & ROTK, and I may have time to make the lavender cloak that she wears over it. I'm going to be ordering Velvet and hand dying it the right shade, and embroidering the bodice will be the most embroidering I've ever done to a costume before; a new experience!
I'm really eager to finally finish my pilot costume, and I'm excited to get started on my Arwen costume! Smile
r2leia I only hope that I'm not asking too much of 2011, but I had planned 6 costumes last year and barely finished two of them with all the other sewing I had to do, and I'm not happy with my Tron 2 costume either, it was a royal pain to make.
Jaina Solo (Shea Standefer)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in trying to get a Rebel Pilot costume done for WonderCon. Really all I need is to put together a flight suit, if anyone has any suggestions!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaina Solo wrote:
I'm interested in trying to get a Rebel Pilot costume done for WonderCon. Really all I need is to put together a flight suit, if anyone has any suggestions!

Cool! You still need to get in on one of our group photos! Wink

http://endorbase.org/

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
http://endorbase.org/members.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: