About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3c0b5ba6229f694992a9bc3204af1f74Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Old Republic Jedi Tutorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Old Republic Jedi Tutorial Reply with quote

Hello all -

I may have posted previously in the wrong topic, so I'll try here. I've just completed a detailed tutorial showing every step of how I created my Old Republic Jedi costume. It's got almost 200 photos, so hopefully it will make getting started with costuming a bit easier, particularly for those with limited sewing experience. I've also included information on building a lightsaber that people might find helpful as well. It's based around the excellent patterns shared by SithariRog and Vera Campbell's "self-scrunching obi", found in this forum.

The tutorial is found at http://jeditutorial.blogspot.com. I hope you find it useful!

Highest regards,
Keith

[Edited to reflect updated link.]

Last edited by Rorrlancca () on Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:09 am; edited 3 times in total
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an awesome tutorial! Very detailed. Mr. Green

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ar-Jay Wan Kenobi ()

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tutorial and very helpful. Had it been posted earlier / if I read it earlier, it would have saved me a lot of time and $!
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A VERY nice addition to the tutorials forums. It's great to see others do such an incredible job making Jedi costumes, then sharing their experiences.

/bow

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
RoninJedi (Ann Marie)
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice tutorial! Haven't had a chance to read through all of it yet, but looks very detailed, thanks for posting this!
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a huge help! Used it (and it's references) extensively. Very well explained and the step-by-step pics were great.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started a tunic following this pattern. So far it seems like it would be great for guys, but right now I'm doing much altering to fit the chest area. Still, the pics are a great help to visualize the shape and where all the measurements should fit. Hopefully it turns out in the end!

..Attempt number 4 for outer tunic. Yay.

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be updating my tutorial soon, because I've made a slight change to the design of the outer tunic and have totally redone the inner tunic. Here's a couple of points to consider regarding making Jedi tunics (with respect to what I've learned over the past year in making several Jedi costumes):

-I've taken the "top" side of the outer tunic (both front and back) and shortened the shoulder side by about 1.5". This gives an angle to the top side of the outer tunic (where, before, it was a mostly rectangular piece except for the center overlapping side). I did this to to help reduce the "extra" fabric I kept seeing (that bunched up) on the upper part of the chest next to the shoulders. Yeah-yeah, this is covered up by the tabards, but...it bugged me Wink

Look at a suit coat from the back and you'll see a slope to the coat where the shoulder slopes "down" from the neck to the shoulder. I basically did this same thing for my latest outer tunic. As an example: one of my suit coats has a "slope" where the shoulder is about 3" "below" the neck, if that made sense. I halved this number to come up with the 1.5" stated above.

-My patterns do not account for VERY large people or for females who are large breasted. Since Jedi tunics are flowing with lots of room, this isn't that big of a deal. The problem for females is that, you loose the curvature of the body, thus making the female form look more "male" or ambiguous with respect to gender. One way to account for this is to place darts or pleats in the costume. The "top" and "bottom" of the costume would be the proper width (that is, the width of the pattern), but one would end up with extra material in the body of the tunic to account for breasts or bellies...if that makes sense.

So, stay tuned for an update to my tutorial (plus addition of the belt tutorial) and...good luck with your efforts with your new Jedi costume Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: