About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=57ea92575f84883cea23d628a7646c26Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

LOOKING FOR A FEW GOOD DROIDS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samurai ()

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can't fault a builder wanting to attend a Con\Gathering of other builders. There are more chances to meet kids and talk to people up close about the hobby and how to get into it. Maybe next year someone will be available. I know I have had to turn down many gigs over this holiday season as I can't be in 2 places at the same time and I need some time with my family too, and actually family takes precedence above all else.
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samurai wrote:
Well you can't fault a builder wanting to attend a Con\Gathering of other builders. There are more chances to meet kids and talk to people up close about the hobby and how to get into it. Maybe next year someone will be available. I know I have had to turn down many gigs over this holiday season as I can't be in 2 places at the same time and I need some time with my family too, and actually family takes precedence above all else.

Thats true and I agree with wanting to be around family but when its going on 2 years that you have asked many many months before the convention and you get a response saying that we can have someone there and then a month before your event you get a response that they have "committed everyone to the convention, oops," that kind of strikes me as odd.
I will continue to ask for someone to attend, since the event gets over 200,000 in attendance in a 2 hour march. You cant get much more people packed into an event in that short time then that.

BTW, Dan, you are more than welcome to come up next December. It is always the first weekend in December and it is a great time.
You can see the event at http://richmondparade.com/
thanks
DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to make sure that you have a droid at your parade and other events, consider building your own. If you build a static model, costs can be kept within reason. Plans and instructions are available to build most of a droid entirely out of sheet styrene with a minimal amount of tools. Most of the tools needed are just basic hand tools.
Plans to build a styrene R5 dome are included.

If you prefer an R2 dome, we currently have a run of Laser cut styrene vac-formed R2 domes in the works at $175 each shipped in the Continental US. Now is the time to get in on it.
Log on to www.astromech.net and start reading the forum for new members and the FAQ to get started.

David L.
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:
If you really want to make sure that you have a droid at your parade and other events, consider building your own. If you build a static model, costs can be kept within reason. Plans and instructions are available to build most of a droid entirely out of sheet styrene with a minimal amount of tools. Most of the tools needed are just basic hand tools.
Plans to build a styrene R5 dome are included.

If you prefer an R2 dome, we currently have a run of Laser cut styrene vac-formed R2 domes in the works at $175 each shipped in the Continental US. Now is the time to get in on it.
Log on to www.astromech.net and start reading the forum for new members and the FAQ to get started.

David L.

Thanks for the info....if you can point me in the direction of those plans that would be great.
Unfortunately I neither have the time, space or funds to start a project like that.
I am on Astromech.net and put out a call on there too.
I know that there are a ton of droids in the Virginia/DC area....its just a matter of scheduling.
DroidWelder ()

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most all of the clubs "Official" plans are posted in the files section of the Yahoo group:

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/r2builders/

If you haven't signed up already, once you have been given access, Just look for the folder called "Styrene Droid Plans"

There are some other plans posted as well that may help, but not all plans posted there are up to current club specs. If you need any plans to reference from, go to the "Official Blueprints" file folder first. Those are all kept up to date.

If you don't see a plan that you need, just ask on one of the forums and if it exists, someone should be able to point you in the right direction.

David L.
Samurai ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:

Was just going to mention that. I understand the space issue thing. 1-2 droids take up a lot of room.

Ever think about making a partial droid for parades? Personally I don't want to do parades unless there is transportation for the droid. Until you get the funds\space for a full droid, why not make a "compartment" for a droid and just use a head, as if it was a part of the vehicle? You can get all the electronics and lights working as well as spinning the dome and sound. Then work on the body and legs latter.

Sorry, I don't think I could do the parade up there, even though I like the area as I use to visit there a lot when I lived in Hampton, Va. It is a major undertaking transporting R2 and large distances mean taking the family... which means even less room for droids and parts. Smile

Oh, and Cons are usually inside... parades are outside... it could be a cold vs. warm thing too. Very Happy But really you may have ended up with someone having an issue with their droid and not being able to show up even though they planned on it. parades do take a toll on a droid.
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samurai wrote:
DroidWelder wrote:

Was just going to mention that. I understand the space issue thing. 1-2 droids take up a lot of room.

Ever think about making a partial droid for parades? Personally I don't want to do parades unless there is transportation for the droid. Until you get the funds\space for a full droid, why not make a "compartment" for a droid and just use a head, as if it was a part of the vehicle? You can get all the electronics and lights working as well as spinning the dome and sound. Then work on the body and legs latter.

Sorry, I don't think I could do the parade up there, even though I like the area as I use to visit there a lot when I lived in Hampton, Va. It is a major undertaking transporting R2 and large distances mean taking the family... which means even less room for droids and parts. Smile

Oh, and Cons are usually inside... parades are outside... it could be a cold vs. warm thing too. Very Happy But really you may have ended up with someone having an issue with their droid and not being able to show up even though they planned on it. parades do take a toll on a droid.

I understand about the transport thing.
When we do this parade every year, we always take into account that we might have droids, and since the persons in charge of the parade invite us to come back every year, they always have a truck on standby to carry the droids.
The pictures in the first part of the thread show R2 and KT in the back s of trucks.
As far as making the dome, I was told that that is a major expense to get everything working right and I am not an electronics persons when it comes to soldering and wires.
I would love to have one one day, but I think my odds are better at winning the lottery. Mr. Green
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shivannd wrote:

As far as making the dome, I was told that that is a major expense to get everything working right and I am not an electronics persons when it comes to soldering and wires.

join the club...

I did ok wiring up the dome stuff...
and adding Artoo's "voice"

but now I am trying to add RC to make the dome turn..

and I am completely cr*pping out on that...

Crying or Very sad

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Samurai ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shivannd wrote:
I would love to have one one day, but I think my odds are better at winning the lottery. Mr. Green

going the cheaper resin route...
styrene dome: $175 (laser cut, I think they are around $100 or less for uncut)
surrounds: $30
HP: $10 each for unmovable, $20 each movable.
radar eye: $25
Eye lenses: I forget, about $30 or less, I think.

So under $200 for a cheap R2 dome.
Samurai ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for lights...

cheap route is probably print out the display pattern on clear acetate and back light it. Cheap...

Or you could get a micro controller, Arduino can be had for about $30 or built for about $15-$20.

Use it to light LEDs and use 3mm fiber strands to the displays. It is actually easier then you may think.

Another route I was looking at, not for my droid. Costco had a color changing LED strand for about $50. Cut the cord and hook it up to you Microcontroller and you can now control the colors and blinking yourself. Got back to the 3mm fiber strand thing.

Alternate idea from the fiber strands is to use the thin fibers, like from lights, and stick them through the displays and melt the ends.

Thee are just some ideas.

Dome rotation is picking up a $25 motor controller and hooking it up to an R/C receiver. A Vex system is fine for controlling a droid and can be had for $20-$50 (receiver is about $15-$20).

The Vex transmitter, receiver, and microcontroller and be used for other things and other projects as well.
DroidWelder ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the logic lights in my droid I'm using a couple sets of battery operated X-mas tree blinking LED strings. Walgreens and other stores carry them. I just bought a couple more from my local supermarket for 1/2 price at $2.50 each (after X-mas clearance). Can't get any cheaper than that and the effect is pretty decent, though hard to see outside in the daylight.

The past couple of years we have had a few other less expensive options open up for building droids. With the styrene plans, the more parts you can build yourself, the cheaper it will be to finish the droid. It's possible to complete a pretty decent looking static droid for $500 or less, though I would expect more like $750 on average. If you want to R/C it, that price will double. The more parts you buy (instead of build yourself), the more it will cost to finish.

An R5 dome won't cost near as much as an R2 dome if you use the plans to build one out of styrene.

David L.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: