About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d053acf06e54ded2cf4728de0b2e886dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Obi-Wan ROTS help/questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrisAntilles (Amanda Burk)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Obi-Wan ROTS help/questions Reply with quote

So, I'm looking to get started on my first jedi costume. Of all the jedi in the movies, Obi-Wan's ROTS is my favorite, so I'm hoping to replicate that one as close as I can.....or at least a Lady Kenobi version of it.

Has anyone used the Simplicity 4450 pattern for their Jedi garb? How did you like it? How did things turn out? I have the pattern, and it looks pretty good, though definitely a few modifications I can see already. Like the obi and tabards, since Obi-Wan's tabards end at his obi in the back. And I'll probably redraft the outer tunic a bit to add the waist seam under the obi so the "skirt" will flow better, but we'll see. That's what muslin mockups are for!

Any suggestions on fabric or where to find it for the outer tunic and tabards for Obi-Wan? I have some crinkle cotton, but it's pretty thin. I may use it for a trial run before I make my final costume. But I'm having some trouble finding anything other than this crinkle cotton that matches the crinkled fabric of his outer tunic and tabard, so any help on where to find a good match would be appreciated!!!

It looks like the sleeves of his outer tunic are lined, I'm assuming so they move better over the inner tunic sleeves. Any ideas on what kind of fabric that is in there? Maybe a silk of some kind? Definitely don't want to use satin, I learned my lesson the hard way on satin lining on a musketeer tabard, way too hot. But the lining in his sleeves looks like some kind of silky material, so was just curious what others thought or have used.

His inner tunic looks like a flat material, rather than a crinkled fabric in ROTS. I was thinking maybe a jersey knit cotton or something? I plan on making a full inner tunic, not the dickie or t-shirt version. I figure if I can survive the layers of upholstry fabric and corsets for my renaissance noble gowns, I can survive a full inner tunic so my jedi costume will be a little more "correct". lol!

How is Simplicity 4450 as far as the robe goes? It looks like I'll have to redraft the hood on it some. But I think it has the shoulder tucks and might work ok for an Obi-Wan style robe. Any suggestions on fabric and where to find it?

Unfortunately, my local JoAnn Fabrics seems to be very lacking in suitable Jedi fabrics, other than maybe something like jersey knit for the inner tunic. So I suspect I'll be buying most of it online, so if you know of any good places online to buy from, definitely let me know!

Ok, I think that's all the questions I have for now. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!!! I've been costuming for a few years now, but mainly renaissance stuff with a little Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings thrown in. So this will be my first attempt in the world of Star Wars!
Rade Larkin (Patrick)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Obi-Wan ROTS help/questions Reply with quote

KrisAntilles wrote:
So, I'm looking to get started on my first jedi costume. Of all the jedi in the movies, Obi-Wan's ROTS is my favorite, so I'm hoping to replicate that one as close as I can.....or at least a Lady Kenobi version of it.

Congrats on your choice, this is one of the best costumes. I just have to say that since I'm working on a OWK costume, too. Mr. Green

KrisAntilles wrote:

Has anyone used the Simplicity 4450 pattern for their Jedi garb? How did you like it? How did things turn out? I have the pattern, and it looks pretty good, though definitely a few modifications I can see already. Like the obi and tabards, since Obi-Wan's tabards end at his obi in the back.

I based my selfmade patterns on pictures of the Simplicity and it is a good start but as you said there are some modifications to made. poodoo posted a great tutorial about the 4450 pattern here:

http://www.crazyoldwizards.com.ar/www/cow/boards/forum_posts.asp?TID=607&title=owk-tunic-tutorial-a-mod-of-simplicity-4450

By the way the Crazyoldwizard forum is a great place for Obi-wan costumes with a lot of nice and helpful people. And since it is solely dedicated to Obi-wan you should check it out.

KrisAntilles wrote:

And I'll probably redraft the outer tunic a bit to add the waist seam under the obi so the "skirt" will flow better, but we'll see. That's what muslin mockups are for!

You definitely need to make the tunic body of two pieces (the upper part and the skirt) joined at the waist so the seam is hidden under the obi. There are even some ref pics that show there is a seam. Outherwise the skirt would not have that flowing look.
Here is a picture of my patterns:

1=skirt back
2=tunic back
3=sleeve
4=tunic front (one side)
5=skirt front (one side)

You could make is easier with a retangular sleeve and not curved at the shoulder as I did. But with that and the part of the body where the sleeve is joined with the body of the tunic I tried to compensate for the shouder tuck and it worked well in my opinion.

KrisAntilles wrote:

Any suggestions on fabric or where to find it for the outer tunic and tabards for Obi-Wan? I have some crinkle cotton, but it's pretty thin. I may use it for a trial run before I make my final costume. But I'm having some trouble finding anything other than this crinkle cotton that matches the crinkled fabric of his outer tunic and tabard, so any help on where to find a good match would be appreciated!!!

Crinkle cotton gauze is the right way to go in my opinion. It is actually rather thin so have some options:
-double the fabric
-use one layer + lining everywhere except the skirt (you have to do this for the sleeves anyway)
-use 2 layers of fabric + lining

I think it depends on your fabric and you have to experiment with it to get the look right. the tabards seem to need even 3 layers of fabric to get the right look. The fabric they used in the movies (seems to be called something like Indian Homespun - I hate that term Wink ) is actually so thin that they used a fake tunic with just brown sleeves and brown collar. The rest of the tunic was beige so it wouldn't show trough.

Fabric could be found here:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&fullPath=&PRODID=xprd810632
Use the beige color, seems to be a good match.
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3447693-AA.shtml?lnav=fabric_cotton.html
Looks good after washing the fabric as seen on the pictures.
http://cgi.ebay.de/YELLOW-SUNSHINE-CRINKLE-COTTON-GAUZE-FABRIC-/350313397447?pt=US_Fabric&hash=item51904e3cc7#ht_869wt_1141
That's the fabric I'll use. I havn't received it yet but from the swatches it seems really good. The offer a tan/dark cream color from time to time but I think I bought the last yards. The offer white as well so you could use that and dye it to the right color.

KrisAntilles wrote:

It looks like the sleeves of his outer tunic are lined, I'm assuming so they move better over the inner tunic sleeves. Any ideas on what kind of fabric that is in there? Maybe a silk of some kind? Definitely don't want to use satin, I learned my lesson the hard way on satin lining on a musketeer tabard, way too hot. But the lining in his sleeves looks like some kind of silky material, so was just curious what others thought or have used.

I think most used the usual lining fabrics like satin and tafete. In the end everything that is thin, glossy and has the right color should work.

KrisAntilles wrote:

His inner tunic looks like a flat material, rather than a crinkled fabric in ROTS. I was thinking maybe a jersey knit cotton or something? I plan on making a full inner tunic, not the dickie or t-shirt version. I figure if I can survive the layers of upholstry fabric and corsets for my renaissance noble gowns, I can survive a full inner tunic so my jedi costume will be a little more "correct". lol!

That's the way I did go. I wanted a tunic like a "real" Jedi. I did not think that Jedis are supposed to wear fake tunics Wink
I think something like knit jersey is the right way to go.

KrisAntilles wrote:

How is Simplicity 4450 as far as the robe goes? It looks like I'll have to redraft the hood on it some. But I think it has the shoulder tucks and might work ok for an Obi-Wan style robe. Any suggestions on fabric and where to find it?

I do not have that pattern so I could not judge how accurate the robe would be but I think it is noot accurate enough. On the first glance the robe seems to be a rather easy part of the costume but in my opinion it is one of the hardest parts of all. It is the icon for a Jedi apart from the Lightsaber in my opinion.
Here is a great discusion about the robe pattern:
http://www.crazyoldwizards.com.ar/www/cow/boards/forum_posts.asp?TID=307&title=robe-pattern
Those guys come a very long way and soon will have made one of the most accurate pattern and will post a tutorial.

KrisAntilles wrote:

Unfortunately, my local JoAnn Fabrics seems to be very lacking in suitable Jedi fabrics, other than maybe something like jersey knit for the inner tunic. So I suspect I'll be buying most of it online, so if you know of any good places online to buy from, definitely let me know!

See above.

KrisAntilles wrote:

Ok, I think that's all the questions I have for now. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!!! I've been costuming for a few years now, but mainly renaissance stuff with a little Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings thrown in. So this will be my first attempt in the world of Star Wars!

Hope I could answer some of your questions. Feel free to ask any further questions you have. I'm by no means an expert but I researched the peculiar costume a lot the last time so maybe I could help you a bit. And make sure to check out
www.crazyoldwizards.com.ar
It is one of the best resource for Obi-wan costume I know. And many of your questions have been discussed there.
Trousers:Working on
Belt and boots:Pending
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rade Larkin wrote:
By the way the Crazyoldwizard forum is a great place for Obi-wan costumes with a lot of nice and helpful people. And since it is solely dedicated to Obi-wan you should check it out.

Thanks for sharing that forum! I didn't know about it, but will defintely go check it out!!!

Rade Larkin wrote:
You definitely need to make the tunic body of two pieces (the upper part and the skirt) joined at the waist so the seam is hidden under the obi. There are even some ref pics that show there is a seam. Outherwise the skirt would not have that flowing look.
Here is a picture of my patterns:

Yeah, I saw of Mace where you could see the waist seam, I'll definitely be redrafting the pattern to add it! And thanks for the pic of your pattern pieces, very handy reference!

Rade Larkin wrote:
Crinkle cotton gauze is the right way to go in my opinion. It is actually rather thin so have some options:
-double the fabric
-use one layer + lining everywhere except the skirt (you have to do this for the sleeves anyway)
-use 2 layers of fabric + lining

From what I'm seeing, it looks like a lot of people use the crinkle cotton, so I ended up picking up some more of it today. I think if I double it up, it should work ok. I"ll line the sleeves, but going to try to avoid lining the whole thing. lol! And I think a piece of interfacing inside the tabards will help the thin fabric. I'll have to play around with it. I bought a bunch of interfacing today to draft my pattern pieces, and several yards of muslin to make a mock up with. Hopefully I can get started this weekend!

Ooo...that link to Dharma Trading looks promising!!

Rade Larkin wrote:
I think something like knit jersey is the right way to go.

I was in the fabric store today and unfortunately their jersey knits were 60% cotton / 40% polyester, so I'm leery of it due to the polyester. So I picked up some that was 95% rayon (since I've been told rayon is natural and breaths)/5% spandex, but the more I play with it, the more I'm not sure how well I like it, it's a little stretchy, so we'll see. I might find something else. lol!

Rade Larkin wrote:
check out
www.crazyoldwizards.com.ar
It is one of the best resource for Obi-wan costume I know. And many of your questions have been discussed there.

I definitely will!!! Thanks!!!
Rade Larkin (Patrick)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrisAntilles wrote:

From what I'm seeing, it looks like a lot of people use the crinkle cotton, so I ended up picking up some more of it today. I think if I double it up, it should work ok. I"ll line the sleeves, but going to try to avoid lining the whole thing. lol! And I think a piece of interfacing inside the tabards will help the thin fabric. I'll have to play around with it. I bought a bunch of interfacing today to draft my pattern pieces, and several yards of muslin to make a mock up with. Hopefully I can get started this weekend!

Since I just made my prototype with a cheap fabric I have no idea what the best way would be but I think it's a trial-and-error thing. I will use a small piece and experiment with it to get the look right. I thought about interfacing for the tabards too but as far as I know they are only available in a white or off-white color and I'm afraid that could shine through the thin cotton gauze fabric when it's used with just one layer of gauze fabric.
Tell us your experience when you work with it. New opinions are always welcome. And since you have already done some great costumes you should be able to make a wonderful jedi costume.

KrisAntilles wrote:

I was in the fabric store today and unfortunately their jersey knits were 60% cotton / 40% polyester, so I'm leery of it due to the polyester. So I picked up some that was 95% rayon (since I've been told rayon is natural and breaths)/5% spandex, but the more I play with it, the more I'm not sure how well I like it, it's a little stretchy, so we'll see. I might find something else. lol!

Concerning the inner tunic fabric The Rebel Agent aka Kyle Katarn posted a topic about that fabric with great reference pictures of his fabric find and great pictures of the screen used fabric from the book Dressing a Galaxy.
http://www.crazyoldwizards.com.ar/www/cow/boards/forum_posts.asp?TID=206&title=undertunic-fabric-discussion
Trousers:Working on
Belt and boots:Pending
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Jo-ann's near you, they typically have a good crinkle cotton and sometimes you can get it on sale.
In case you need it: http://www.crazyoldwizards.com.ar/www/cow/boards

The robe...well, I'll just say go to the forum I linked just above, there's an amazing amount of information there and I would not do it justice by trying to repeat it all.

Looks like you have all good information so far, but I will caution you, doing a face character for your first costume can be daunting. Face characters have more strict guidelines. It's not un-doable, it can just be difficult and possibly discouraging.
There are a couple guys on the crazy old wizards (and they are RL members) that make some great pouches.
Good luck and I'm sure I'll see you over at COW
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rade Larkin wrote:

Since I just made my prototype with a cheap fabric I have no idea what the best way would be but I think it's a trial-and-error thing. I will use a small piece and experiment with it to get the look right. I thought about interfacing for the tabards too but as far as I know they are only available in a white or off-white color and I'm afraid that could shine through the thin cotton gauze fabric when it's used with just one layer of gauze fabric.
Tell us your experience when you work with it. New opinions are always welcome.

The more I think about the interfacing, the more I'm not sure. But we'll see. I may try a mock up both ways, one with an extra fabric layer and one with interfacing inside. One way to keep the interfacing from showing through could be to get some of the iron on interfacing and a piece of cotton broad cloth or muslin the same color as your tabard fabric. Iron the interfacing onto the broadcloth, cut out your tabard piece to line the tabard, and make sure the interfacing side is toward your chest and the broad cloth facing out inside the outer tabard material. Not sure if that will make the tabards too thick or stiff, but it's an idea. I'll have to play around with tabards when I get there.

Masterbean wrote:
If you have a Jo-ann's near you, they typically have a good crinkle cotton and sometimes you can get it on sale.

I've definitely been raiding the JoAnn's stores near me, and have a pretty fair stash of crinkle cotton already. They don't have it very often, so when I see it, I grab it! And I get their preferred customer coupons, which is a big help, because I can usually get everything at 40% off. lol!

COW has been a VERY helpful and informative website so far!!

Masterbean wrote:
Looks like you have all good information so far, but I will caution you, doing a face character for your first costume can be daunting. Face characters have more strict guidelines. It's not un-doable, it can just be difficult and possibly discouraging.

I figure if anything, it should at least pass as a generic jedi, and I can keep tweaking, improving, changing, adding to it till I get the face character right. But we'll see how it goes. I think I'm up for the challenge. lol! I decided to blog my work as I go:

http://ajediquest.blogspot.com/

Thanks everyone for the input!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: