About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=68a77aca7fac83218663c536f5684031Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi- Help me create Quinlan Vos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hollis DZC ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Jedi- Help me create Quinlan Vos Reply with quote

Added a couple posts to a existing thread in the main Jedi forum, with no replies, so I thought I'd try my friends at Endor Base! Very Happy

He's said to wield a blaster, my online searches show that it could be a Westar-34 (Jango) or a DC-17 (Clone Commander pistol)

This is the version I want to do-

I like the upper torso armor, two shoulder pauldrons, the left forearm armor- (I'm told is cortosis.)

This is the best pic I've found of his boots- I'm not interested in "engineer boots w/ straps" they look fine, but aren't "Jedi-enough" for me-

While not the same outfit, this shows that the belt for his holster is separate from his Jedi belt-

His belt looks like a normal Jedi belt, medium / dark brown with the swapped buckle-
I prefer to do the "non-Jedi" buckle (for lack of a better term)

I don't have any of the comics (yet)

In the main QV thread, his tabards are discussed as either dark or medium brown, or olive green. Doug Wangler's pics look like a black leather tabards-

I did decide to go with black leather pants, after a long discussion with Kathy and Matt Very Happy becuz I scored a brand-new, still had tags on them at the thrift store on Sunday for $7.99!!! They are styled similar to Doug's, and they are not "blue jean" styled!!! Wooo-Hooo!

Boots- I'm thinking the black ren faire or superhero boots seen on ebay, adding the leather straps.

Pic one looks like a dark brown Jedi belt w/ modified buckle, medium brown obi and olive or brown tabards.

If someone's got these issues, I'd love to see if there is a more defining color to the tabards-

I believe there is 3 Quinlan Vos in the RL- two based on pic one and our own Endor Base bro, based on Quinlan's more conventional Jedi look. Very Happy
One which I've admired for a couple years now, and finally inspired me to create this dreadlocked Jedi.

One other reason...I've got this pretty darn cool (if I do say so myself) dreadlocked wig I made for Ronon Dex Very Happy
I'd love to put it to use more often!

Here's a WIP of Ronon's wig-

Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so you are going with the leather after all! Thought it was gonna be too hot for ya Wink

Wow, so nobody is chiming in at the Jedi forum? Maybe give it a few days? I'd just say that before you get too far into the project, personally contact one of the Jedi LCJs and make sure that your choices will be approved by the legion. You might need to PM one of them. Too bad there are no written standards for the various Vos costumes yet...

It is tough to interpret artwork. For example, I feel the first photo reference is supposed to be a warmly lit scene (stuff seems to be on fire or smoldering or something - casting a warm light effect in the artwork). So he could be wearing black but the 'warm light' effect makes it all look brown. I'd say the pants match the tabards. So if pants are black, it would make sense that the tabards should be black or nearly black (could be a very dark blackish brown, or a very dark charcoal gray). But I have not seen the comics to compare the variety of art renderings and see if there is a consistency in the color panel to panel. I see what you mean about other Vos costumers using leather tabards. They just seem so stiff compared to the artwork, the art looks like the tabards could be fabric so I'd ask the LCJs if fabric could be an acceptable alternative. Or has it been universally agreed that it must be leather?

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes

Last edited by Kay_Dee (Kathy) on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Twi'lek Pam (Pam Simpson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to keep in mind is that the picture showing him talking to young Han Solo isn't from the Republic comics where Quinlan was a Jedi. That's a completely seperate "post Order 66" storyline that took place in one of the Star Wars Tales books, when he's older.

Pam :-)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestions Kathy and Pam! I thank you both very much!

Very good point on the shading, colors etc Kathy of that first pic, I hadn't thought of that. I will PM one of the Jedi LCJ, see what's what.
It's been a few days since I posted on the Jedi forums, I have been known to be a touch impatient...shhhh! Don't tell anyone... Laughing

Yeahhhh, I decided on doing the leather pants, when I turned around and saw them hanging off the end of the rack, where they weren't supposed to be...they aren't all smooth, they have kindof a raised edge every 5-6" or so. When I first saw them, I thought "Quinlan Vos!" lol And then they fit...sooooooo Cool

I just can't do leather tabards. Like you said Kathy, they are just toooo stiff...

Most pics of people doing QV, show him wearing mostly black. If the judges say that's the way, then I'll do so. I just would rather be putting some brown tones in the outfit. Just to break up the color scheme.
All black outfits have a tendency to remind me of Sith. (Except you Matt- as Luke! Laughing )

I just don't do bad guys... Very Happy My characters may look a bit rough around the edges, but only good guys! Very Happy

I really appreciate all the suggestions!
Twi'lek Pam (Pam Simpson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... I think I just recognized the boot in that image... that's from a flashback scene remembering when he and Obi Wan were kids. You've got him as a teen, as a Jedi, and as a retiree in your references! (And I'm such comics geek for recognizing a boot.... sigh...)

If you're wanting to do the costume represented in the first image, I woud suggest taking only references of that one outfit for your costume, or you're going to end up with a hodgepodge costume, rather than a reproduction of the one you've chosen. Quinlan Vos has been shown wearing quite a few different outfits since his introduction, so it doesn't make sense to choose pieces from all over the place. By the way, the tabbards definitely look like fabric to me in those issues. There have been outfits in past issues that looked like leather, but these appear fabric.

I would suggest that you pick up Star Wars Republic issues 75, 76, and 77. Those are the issues that have the costume you've chosen. He's in those issues many times, from every angle... so you'd get a lot of great references. (And it's a great storyline, too.)

Last edited by Twi'lek Pam (Pam Simpson) on Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Daritha (Christian)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not a Endor Base member ... ^^

Kay_Dee wrote:

It is tough to interpret artwork.
Also: The clothes are changing over time. I know this too well from my Imperial Knight. Little details are switching, colors are changing ... is hard to keep track and find a good middle way.

Nontheless, I wish you luck with this outfit. I always liked Quin and am sure he suits you just fine. Smile

GBY | Temple Assistant Master
KJO | Member

Join the KJO - Form a Temple - Have fun!
Hollis DZC ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pam! Boy, you're good! Very Happy Yeah, that pic was when he was younger, I just figured that Jedi don't change their boot style! lol Laughing

Thank you for the comics tip!! I will most assuredly pick up those issues!!

Fabric tabards...GOOD!!

Daritha- thanks very much for the encouragement!! It's tough trying to find a "common ground" for Quinlan- but I'll work it out!! I'm having fun doing so!
Hollis DZC ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twi'lek Pam wrote:
I would suggest that you pick up Star Wars Republic issues 75, 76, and 77. Those are the issues that have the costume you've chosen. He's in those issues many times, from every angle... so you'd get a lot of great references. (And it's a great storyline, too.)

Just bought the lot of 75, 76, 77 & 78 for $7.95 incl. shipping!!

Thank you Pam for the tip!! I really appreciate it!
Hollis DZC ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again Pam, for suggesting I grab those issues! They came last night, not 4, but 3. 76,77 & 78.

Perfect! Issues 76 and 77 show Quin with medium brown tabards and obi.

Done hunting for that problem! Very Happy

Only one shot of the boots, at long range- looks like the two straps on calf and one around ankle.

Found perfect boots for these as well.

Just need a good shot of the tattoo, I've a friend that I think I'll ask if her source can run off some of them. Easier to apply than creating it each and every event!

Having fun with this!!
Quinlan Vos (Myke Soler)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Sorry, it's taken me a while to jump on here, saw you're Q at work so, hadn't had the time to respond.
That's a version that has taken me while to finish, the only things left are the holster for the Westar-34 (you'll have to repaint it [gunmetal black-used did I]) & the shoulder armor (been told that it's either individual strips &/or CW era style armor-just a bit rounder). I thinking of just going w/ both styles since I like the CW look.
For the Tattoo, there's a good ref. w/ the 1st figure & also look at issue #'s 82(last page has the best ref) & 83. It's a great story arc(81-83) of Order 66 on Kashyyyk w/ Luminara, Villie, Yoda, Chak & (nxt costume Very Happy ) Comm. Faie w/ his Bogey Squad.

Vos's "Jedi Look" in this series is the one I went with for my costume. We take off for SD in less than 24 hours from now. I'll try to check in b4 we go.

Myke

Jedi Diver
501st - TK8476
www.facebook.com/jedi.diver
Hollis DZC ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Myke for the assistance!! Great reference tips!!!
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Master Vos will be in Season 3 of The Clone Wars. Smile

http://www.theforce.net/image_popup/image_popup_global.asp?image=http://www.theforce.net/2010/tcwquinlanvosfigure.jpg

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hollis DZC ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!!! I look forward to seeing what happens to Quinlan!

Sorry for the late reply- with DragonCon, and then moving, and starting a new job at the same time, to say that life has been both hectic admist the upheaval is an understatement!

In the move, I found my Clone Wars graphic novels, and now have multiple ref pics of Quinlan Vos. I've gathered much of what I need and will be progressing on this costume! Cool
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Vos will be in next week's TCW episode!

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do you guys think of TCW's Vos?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: