About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9b157aa516f4e6406e97b835b1d1c9c4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo ROTJ Vest Breakdown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Han Solo ROTJ Vest Breakdown Reply with quote

A while back I did an Breakdown of the ANH vest... I thought I would throw something together for the ROTJ as well.

Ok, this thread is to help those who want to take thier Han ROTJ vest to the next lvl. This may come off as anal or too picky, but it is ment to aid those who are just not sure on the details of the vest itself, or just want their costume to be Uber movie accurate. Under each picture I will try and explain the picture as best as I can.

Above is the ROTJ vest.
The vest itself looks to be made of a black or charcoal typle twill. With as much detail in the pockets as there is I imagine it is lined, but I have yet to fine photo documentation to back this theory.

If you can see the vest does not just have a mere 4 pockets, but actually 6 pockets if you count the two small pockets that are on the two breast pockets.

Also note that all the pockets minus the two over the breast are vented. Like the ANH vest the pockets are vented and not tacked down at the corners

Note: The Yoke... The yoke is what helps the vest fit better at the top of the vest and over the shoulders. Without a proper yoke the vest will not hang properly for it is only 1 piece of fabric them. The vest is yoked on both sides of the vest.

Size of pockets...
The top pockets are slightly wider then they are tall. This one thing I notice far to often that people miss on. The top pockets are also slightly smaller then the two bottom pockets.

Both top and bottom pockets are in alignment on the opening of the jacket... however the top pockets are not as wide as the bottom pockets as a picture a bit farther down shows well.

There is no wasteband on the ROTJ vest unlike the ANH vest which has a wasteband.

Original photo without all the editing...

This picture shows the venting (in Blue) on the top pocket... there is no reason to believe they are not all made like this. There is also ironing evidence in the first picture that shows the creases of the venting as well.

Note: The yellow top stitching I pointed out because there is a good chance that the top flap is not actually attached to the pocket at all. The way vented pockets are made, it would have been easier for the flap to simply been attached to the vest and not actually part of the pocket itself.

Notice how the top pocket doesn not line up with the bottom pocket in this photo. Being that the pockets line up on the opening of the vest that means that the pockets are smaller on top.

Note this picture... like the front yoke also has a back yoke... for better fitting.

Also in this picture you can see that the 4 channels are finished first and then stitched seperatly to the back of the vest.

I hope this bit of information will help those out there that still had questions on the ROTJ vest.

Bob Kohn

Last edited by SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn) on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:51 am; edited 2 times in total
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Yeah I guess there really is 6 pockets. 2 on top of the Breast pockets. Thanks I have owned one for 13 years now and never really noticed it. Laughing I just thought it was just the design of the pockets on top and not separate pockets all together. I just checked and I have them. I think it should be on the list. You don't know what you don't know. Up until about 5 years ago I did not know there were 2 different black vests. I had the ROTJ one and thought the ANH one was the same.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, very nice breakdown Bob!

- Rouge Squadron, Smashbox 26
- Echo Base, Hawkbat 14
grey_starr (Daniel)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fantastic - I am going to see if I can get one made.

Has there been a consensus of the material used?
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fabric used was probable a heavy bottom weight twill of some kind. Anything like a heavy cotton Twill or Heavy denim/ twill should work. I would go with either a black or a charcoal for color.

The original "Fan club" version of the vest is way to accurate to have not been made by someone who had not seen the original. The fan club version of the vest even had the small pockets on top of the breast pockets. That Fan club vest was made very well... and was also out of a heavy charcoal denim/Twill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: