Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ee8eaa180d9924890990d17984326023Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Question about Han's ROTJ vest standards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilco ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Question about Han's ROTJ vest standards Reply with quote

I'm looking for a bit of clarification on the costuming standards, specifically this:
Black vest with back ribbing and four front pockets and 4 ribbed loops in back. Vest must be waist length.

What is meant by back ribbing? I looked at the vest thread, which had some great pictures, but showed nothing that I could make out as ribbing.

Thanks
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black ribbing I believe is to define the fabric. The fabric should be of a twill Grade. Twill has a visable ribbing in the fabric. So anything like a heavy twill cloth or cotton twill is usually what is used for the vest. The phrase ribbing is used to prevent people making the vest out of a satin or smooth like fabric... if you catch my meaning.

Glad to see you interested in making this vest. If you need any information or pics let me know. you can also check out the Han archives that I have linked in my signature line.

Good luck!

Last edited by SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn) on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilco ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer, but I've been lurking for a couple of months, and I think that I have everything ready. I'm going with the falcon jacket pattern with minor alterations (additional breast pockets and removing the bottom band from the pattern). I just double checked the standards, and read that line there. I wanted to catch my mistake before i made it. I start the fabric cutting tonight, so I am triple checking the requirements.

Thanks for the info. at least I know that my fabric choice was spot on.
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a vest made with Twill and one made with heavy Duck Cloth. Duck Cloth is the best. It stays nice and stiff and will not crease very easy. I have noticed that the twill vest tends to crease rather easily, especially while hanging, in the back.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issues with twill is most people do not properly line the vest making it very thin and flimsy. A heavy cotton twill that is lined will work very well for a vest, key word being... lined. I have never made a vest out of duck cloth, but I fear it is not the best fabric. I do know some people use it that is why I listed in my original post.....

Duck cloth is more of a stiff fabic with a straight weave.. most commonly used for heavy bottom weights and is the same kind of fabrics used for drop cloths for painters and even tarps. You can use a duck cloth for jackets. Its the weave that I would be most concerned with for it is a straighter weave then a twill... which has a more angle like weave... like a denim has... like a pair of jeans. I am not trying to diss Duck cloth users, I just think its too heavy of a fabric to begin with IMO... but I am sure it could work.... just would not be my first choice.

I also think it might make a difference how stiff you want the costume to be. If your making ANH, the vest is all over the place and is very loose. The costume itself had to be "Tacked down" in certain areas to prevent the flaps of the pockets from opening up.

Now the ROTJ vest looks to be much cleaner with the flaps not opening up all the time.... maybe they used a heavier fabric for that one. Not sure though. I have an original Fan club ROTJ vest from back in the day... it is a heavy cotton twill and is extreamly accurate, as well as lined. This makes the vest a bit more sturdy then my ANH vest... which is lined but a normal cotton twill... not as heavy.

So I really think it depends what you are going for IMO.

May be worth a trip to the fabric store and ask them for bottom weight fabrics like Heavy Twills and the such... in black and charchoals.

Keep us updated... love to see some pics.

Bob
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB wrote:
I have a vest made with Twill and one made with heavy Duck Cloth. Duck Cloth is the best. It stays nice and stiff and will not crease very easy. I have noticed that the twill vest tends to crease rather easily, especially while hanging, in the back.

My first vest was the modified BDU jacket, very flimsy. So I went to the fabric store and just started feeling the weight of different fabrics.
I went with Duck Cloth as well, it has a great heft for my second vest. I highly recommend it for the vest.

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 CO 2011-Present
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: