Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3ef86606f5a5b4706d0790ed1d5cdde8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Nikkos Khann ANH Han Solo Belt/Holster Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, Nikkos! Wink

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedimika wrote:
You work fast! Looks like you did better than I did. Thanks for sharing this and showing it's not as tough as it looks.

Yeah, it only took two all nighters and three days. I was really intimidated at first and I would encourage anyone who wants a quality piece to do it. I am now planning on so many other projects just because of this one.

Mainly you just have to make sure you have the right pieces and tools and take your time. The hardest part for me was the sewing. I may have to invest in the sewing pony for the next project.

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is a pic from my recent troop for Air and Scare:

Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Looks good. Smile

Though it looks really dark, which I don't know if it can all be blamed on the lighting. It almost looks black in the photo with you wearing it.

I would have gone with a lighter shade of dye.

I don't remember where I got this photo, but I believe it's a screen used belt and holster:

Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the same color as the CB one that I was approved with. I had to go darker because some of the leather I used was already darker than the belt leather. It is not black. The lighting may contribute some. Perhaps the next version will be lighter. However, I kinda like it darker.

And actually that appears to be an ESB holster.

Charter Committee
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only 2 known holsters that we can identify that are from the movies and not just stunt double holsters. More times than not the holsters/ tools get mixed up when put on display. That is a mixture of the ANH holster with an ESB or ROTJ blaster blaster ( hard to tell) It may even have ROTJ tools in it as far as we know. I believe that holster there is the ANH holster based on the scratch that is between the snaps on the front of the holster.

The color of the holster has also changed over the years due to wear and tear, but I think the dye closer to the original is a mix of tans and a very thined down brown.

I beleive I used a British tan mixed with a light brown.

Here is an example of a SW exhibit totally throwing stuff together.

Ok... the gloves and Holster are ANH ( Holster may have been used for both ANH and ESB), blaster is ROTJ, Pants ESB/ ROTJ, buckle setup is ESB, vest is ROTJ, The droid caller on the other side is something they thru in there.... wasnt like the 2 used in the movies for Han. The tools are a mixture of ESB tools.

If you look closely you will also see the scratch on the holster between the two snaps as well as the picture Lori posted.

The point is ... do not always trust what you see in reference pics... they are not always right.

My holster even comes off slightly red... so I have yet to "Get it right". All we can do is try... and maybe one day get it right.

I still think the one you have there is solid, and only a hand full of people will notice...

Bob
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I thought after I posted that they must have used the leather from the ANH holster and the buckles from ESB. Also, on the pic Loreen posted, the first greeblie is definitely different from the ANH one, which was a co2 cartridge.

I haven't really weathered the leather yet so that may make some difference in the long run. Right now, I am just enjoying the solid piece that it is now. I can't bring myself to weather it just yet. LOL.

It is very satisfying having done it myself. I highly recommend anyone on the fence about it to try it. I think it turned out pretty darn good for my first attempt with leather work. Cool

Charter Committee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: