About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e1dc80da3b716b1b33bf5f53f5e34ad1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Episode II travel/refugee gown
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunslingerpadme ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Padme Episode II travel/refugee gown Reply with quote

I'm just about ready to start the headdress on this gown. This is the mustard colored, heavily embroidered gown worn to suggest that Padme is in disguise. Instead of frustrating my mind with finding antique lace for the easier of the two headgear possibilities for this gown, I chose the "metal" one. It will be entirely plastic based, using Sintra as a base and then once happy with the overall shape, I will go in with smaller plastic bits to get the triangle pattern along with the basket weaving that is the main background.

While I'm fairly confident in the headgear (I figure start with what you know how to do, then move down) the actual fabric of the gown is giving me issues. My plan at the moment is to have the design screen printed on, then go in by hand and add dimension to it. There's just no way that I would find anything that I would be happy with already made. My question is, what would be a suitable base fabric? I'd like something that has a rougher weave, so even when printed it's not completely smooth. Any ideas?

More will come, like pictures, and more in depth construction detail as I sit and stare at exhibit pictures on my laptop Amadalia

Also, any comments from people who have seen the original would be loved and well cared for!
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with this one. At CV there were a couple of us who commented that this is probably the last of Padmé's dresses that still haven't been done really well. (Feel free to prove me wrong, I probably haven't seen all recreations of it though, so I hope nobody who reads this and have made a good version of it takes offense) The most common problem seems to be to get the proportions with the head ornament right. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've searched all of the major photo sites, and some of the cosplay sites, and I think there have been two who have done this gown, and you are right, the trickest thing is the proportion. I've been working on it, keeping in mind that I have a bigger head than Natalie Portman. Luckily my Dad is a retired art teacher, and we ended up using a bicycle helmet to help with proportions. I'm happy with my test size, but I might make a second to make sure it's not too small.

I think the thing that holds a lot of people back on this gown is either the finding on the lace headgear, and the fabric. There's no way around it- the fabric is one of a kind.

Thanks for the encouragement! It's kinda scary doing a costume that not a lot of people have done.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, ambitious! Good luck, it'll be interesting to see one of these done!

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, for the base fabric...to get that weave, almost some sort of drapery or upholstery fabric, perhaps?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentleBant, that's what I was leaning towards. We use to have this perfect fabric store nearby that had an entire floor dedicated to what I want to look at, but they went out of business. There's another fabric store that I personally have never been to that might have something- those are my weekend plans, to see what they have over there, and hoping it won't cost me an arm and a leg
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked some of the online stores? I Googled: gold embroidered paisley burgundy
and came up with quite a few results.
Of course, none of them are perfect, but maybe for the shoulders...
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the one costume we DON'T have yet for the "Padme Project" I thought of a while back. Now that it seems that we have more time to do so, maybe it can get submitted.

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21245

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21246&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Originally, I wanted to see it completed by CV, but, due to various circumstances, it never happened. I'd rather see it done well, than done by a "deadline".

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm anxious to see the progress on this. I've contemplated making this one because it is lacking in the Rebel Legion, but I've got so many in progress, I better not! I'm glad to see someone taking it on! Smile

I've searched a few places and found a few fabrics I thought might work. But, they're not exact:

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-WAVERLY-400761

http://warehousefabricsinc.com/CHNMAE.html

gunslingerpadme ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb, nice finds! I like the feel of the first one.... I think I've seen that in store. The second one is just pretty Smile. I'm actually more worried about the trim on the bottom of the gown than fabric issues. I'm still leaning towards the screen printing idea, but I still need to mock-up the entire dress to see the minimum amount of "embroidered" fabric would be needed.

Progress is good! Got the sintra, and I am re-sizing my posterboard shapes one last time to make sure that it will a) fit my head, and b)check one last time that the proportions are right.
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with this, hun! I'm excited to see you do it!

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help looking at costumes, Padme in particular, without trying to figure out in my mind how I could re-create them. (I'm obsessed, I know! Razz ) So, I've given this one thought too. I wondered if you could get a paisley type fabric and then a second one with larger motifs that you could cut out, put fray check on and then attach to the first fabric to recreate the look of embroidery. It would take some careful crafting not to look cheaply done, but if done right, I think it could look good. Just a thought I had had.

Good luck with the head piece. I'd love to see progress pictures!

gunslingerpadme ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to a friend over on livejournal, I've discovered the site:

http://www.spoonflower.com/spoonflower_fabrics

which holds the possibility of creating a lot of the fabric for this gown, when willing to put in the hard work of designing it. I consider myself one of the lucky ones: I have a very limiting artistic ability, but I have a dad who has tons, and comes from a family who has tons.

From what we know about the main design, it's a repeating 30cm by 30cm pattern. Pick that out out of the many reference pictures, painstakingly draw it out and color in, and see what fabric weight it would go with on this site.

I think it's the best idea so far than screen printing and getting it machine embroidered, and it opens it up to being repeated by others who want to do the gown. Now, nothing has been done to this point- I just found this sight tonight and got so excited about the possibilities! A second design could be made for the cuffs, center and back designs and such, but the thing is it could be done, and possibilities always lead to more people making more efforts to thinking outside the box more!

~Laura
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That website looks genius! It's pricey, but hey, to get accurate fabric...

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
gunslingerpadme ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end, to get accurate fabric, you've just got to settle on paying more for it. It's a completely unique thing, like the italian lace for the wedding dress (I've been looking for enough Maltese lace for years!) or the metallic feather patter for the Episode Three Queen. There are just fabrics out there, no matter how many people we have look, we aren't going to find. So making them ourselves it the option. Pricey? Yes. And I am going to be soooo scared cutting into this fabric when the time comes, but I want it to look right, and as close as possible. And it's the cheapest option I've found. Actual having the entire thing machine embroidered by a company would be in the thousands, and screen printong wouldn't give the desired effected, or all of the colors.

Don't get me wrong, drawing out the entire design is going to be a huge task, but in the end, other people will be able to buy the fabric, and that is what makes me happy the most. Access to accurate fabric for others!

And yes, this has turned into a very long term project, sadly. But I will post updates, observations, and any information I have as I work on the hardest costume I have ever attempted. And I thought the Green Atonement Dress was hard..... Amadalia

~Laura
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: