About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5df52d42ac7f9a6baa80b907f549441bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My Han ESB Blaster Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunjotharr ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, this is a great thread. I just picked up a metal airsoft mauser and will be starting my build this weekend. I got the UKARMS CM712 version, which doesn't look much off from what you got.

I am curious to see how your mount turns out as I am wondering how I will manage to build mine. Also, great looking scope. I will be using the same tutorial.

I found a resin flash hider, but no luck with the v8 parts yet.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, good luck dunjotharr!

My Gun build is done...or should I put that in quotes?
Other than doing paint touch up:

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out considering that I didn't pay a whole lot for it.
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:
Hey, good luck dunjotharr!

My Gun build is done...or should I put that in quotes?
Other than doing paint touch up:

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out considering that I didn't pay a whole lot for it.

your scope pointing backwards... is it on purpose?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, nope, just what I get for building it without referencing the pictures. That explains why I thought I glued the eyelet on the wrong side, it was the right side I just was mixed up when I went to glue it onto the mount.
Well...sadly it's all cold welded so I can't undo it.
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:
haha, nope, just what I get for building it without referencing the pictures. That explains why I thought I glued the eyelet on the wrong side, it was the right side I just was mixed up when I went to glue it onto the mount.
Well...sadly it's all cold welded so I can't undo it.

Brian, I thought you knew better than to build a prop (especially for a face character) without using reference photos.

Aside from the scope being backward, the barrel looks a bit too long for that version. And what's with the magazine sticking out of the bottom like that? The ones used in the movies had the top loading box magazines that you loaded with a stripper clip, so they were flush on the bottom. It just looks kind of odd, to me.

And what "eyelet" are you talking about?

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...I'll have to take a 2nd go at this sometime after my next project. It'll work for informal for now.

The barrel is long because my intensions were to have the flash supressor fit further onto the barrel. However, I was having difficulties with widening the hole on the supressor. I didn't want to damage it any more than I already had attempting to widen it, so that's as far as she's going.
As far as the clip, I couldn't decide whether to make it flush or not, so I just cut the clip down to where it's at now. I like the look of it (shrug)

The idea wasn't to get an exact replica but as nice of looking one as possible as cheap as possible.
I'm fairly certain, even with the scope being backwards, to the untrained eye, it'll look good enough. But yeah...I should have referenced more pics while I was building it.

The eyelet was just that, a little metal circle, I think it came from an hold hoodie. On the bottom of the scope, the small circle tube (pen cap) near the front (or what should've been the front) of the scope, on the other side of that, I had an eyelet glued onto the cap. On the real scope, as I'm sure you know, there's suppose to be a dial there. So the eyelet was just going to be I guess a greeblie.
dunjotharr ()

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after all the researching and scope hunting, I noticed the backwards scope right away. LOL, but I can't throw stones because through my last 2 builds, Demp Gun and DL-44 I made my own share of mistakes. Some I fixed after realizing it, others I have to live with. These were for halloween costumes, so 100% accuracy isn't important. They were mainly just to allow me to build up some skills and get some practice before I move on to a "real" costume. Or at least one that lives up to CRLs.

here is my quick New Hope style blaster for my wife's Fem Solo. I managed to pick up a plastic one so I can save the metal mauser for a more accurate build later.

basic parts

cardboard cut out for a template to make the scope mount

cut the pvc box cover for the scope mount

painted parts

little weathering and test assembly

quick paint and weathering for the mauser... did a rush job here as time is short and I didn't have the time to sand it all down and do it "right". But it came out ok.

assembled... kept the orange barrel for safety reasons. CA law is funny and I would rather not have a problem.

it could do with more greeblies and attention to detail (filled in holes, sanded the "made in China" and "brass eagle" lettering...), but as I mentioned, don't have time to really do this up well. The average person on the street halloween night will not notice the details. Now though that I have a little building experience and once halloween is over I plan on taking my metal airsoft and doing it right.

And yes I noticed the clip isn't in. I got lucky though that this mauser came with both the long and half clip so that was one less thing to mod and play with.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after I built my gun belt my blaster fell apart. The scope came off and the barrel came off. At first I was heartbroken. Then I realized that those were the two problem areas. So I took the opportunity to modify these sections.
Since I was redoing the scope and remounting it, I decided to redo the mount as well. I have an event tomorrow so sadly I don't have time to fix the paint job, but it's fine otherwise. AND of course I've lost my camera cable, so I can only upload from my phone Crying or Very sad
dunjotharr ()

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well what a happy accident Very Happy all will be made right with patience and stange mishaps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: