Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=616b416534f18b3f84949d849898311dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tim Levan - Endorscout64 | Answers for Base CO
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Echo Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Tim Levan - Endorscout64 | Answers for Base CO Reply with quote

This thread is for Tim's answers to Legion Council questions. Only he may post in it. Other candidates wishing to respond to his answers need to copy and paste from this thread into their own thread.
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote="General Fidelis"]First off, congratulations John and Tim on your nominations!

1) From your "certain point of view", what are the main duties (job description, if you will) of a Rebel Legion Base Commanding Officer? NOTE: I'm not looking for a copy & paste text book answer, just an honest answer in your own words.

2) Please list your top 4 priorities if elected BCO.

Thanx, gentlemen![/quote]

Answer to Tom Twohig (General Fidelis) question.

My "point of view" of the duties of BCO are:

1. Excuse the pun, but be the face of the base. Play an active role in the base's activities; attending events, voicing an opinion on the fourm, and working with everyone in the base to create a happy environment.

2. Being the "ears" for the base on Legion matters, letting everyone know what is going on Legionwise on the base level.

My four priorities if elected to BCO

1. Create a dialogue with the four 501st garrisons, Mando Mercs, and R2 builders that share the territory with Echo Base. I see working with these groups as a great opportunity that help all and provide a greater experience for our public endevours.

2. Recruiting in Delaware. Push the need for members in Delaware, The base has membership in three quarters of the territory...the base isn't running on full capacity until we have members in each region.

3. Establishing new offices at the base level, namely Base Publlic Relations Officer (BPRO) and a Base Membership Liason (BML). I see the addition of these two offices at the base level as a means to help the BCO and BXO in the duties of base.

4. Continuing the trend of Base Detachments. We have three why not one more!! For starters, If elected I will work to set up a Royality/Senatorial Detachment. Why? The queens princesses, and handmaidens of our base deserving a detachment.
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer to Joseph Roa question:

"Most of the event requests we get are through the 501st. What are ideas to promote the RL?"

Yes, Joe, many of the appearance requests we recieve are through the 501st. You, me, and many of our members know the reason: the 501st Legion came first, which open the door for the Rebel Legion. For this we all should say thank you. Though the issue this the Rebel Legion in a way, is in the shadow of the 501st. If we wish to stand on our own we must make the effort to ask for our own time. This may be done by going to the establish organizations like children's hospitals and ask for our own day to visit.

Also, we may recieve our own requests by participating in the LFL events like Star Wars in Concert, and Where Science Meets Imagination. Furthermore, it doesn't hurt to ask around the community.

Of course, it will be slow but it is happening more and more events are coming our way.
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer to Gil (JediXXL) question:

"If elected who would you nominate as your BXO" Sorry if the quote is not by the letter.

If nominated my choice for BXO will be Terry Browning (Navajo Bro).
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer to Bryan (StoyBoy720) question regarding Echo Base and our brother and sister groups of the Star Wars family.

I believe in Star Wars. I believe in the many points of views of Star Wars. I consider myself a progressive in the idea of Star Wars costuming. We are community: RL, FanForce, 501st, R2 Builders, and Mando Mercs. If elected, I am open to talking with our fellow fans and seeing where we can work together and be an open community.
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My response to Gil (JediXXL) question on additional offices to base command:

Edit: One of my choices is recently relocated outside of the base's territory.

You mentioned creating a few new positions if elected, in particular a Base Publlic Relations Officer (BPRO) which seems like a good idea. In the past, I feel these areas have been handled by people who have created some concerns.

Who do you feel would be a good candidate to be the "face" of Echo Base?

Who will you have staff this new position?

I feel if a member who has a background in public relations and who is comfortable in a public setting is the best candidate for the post.

Who I would have to hold the post is Tharren Thompson (Mahim). The reason I choose Tharren is his work in public relations. This was aparent to me as I sawhis work on an event he sponsored with Penn State-Dubois in PA and his volunteering to be the "face" of Echo at SWiC -Hershey.

Last edited by Endorscout64 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My responses to Tom Twohig three questions on why I do this:

1) Why do you feel you are qualified for the position of Echo Base Commanding Officer?

2) How seriously do you take this hobby of ours? For example, does Star Wars costuming define a large part of who you are -or- do you see it as fun past time that should be enjoyed after real-life responsibilities are handled?

3) Why do you costume? What is your personal passion for this hobby?

A 1. The qualification that make me run for this post is the belief in many members in the territory of Echo that see me as a valid candidate. What I feel that makes me qualified for the post, is sincere act of service. I believe in volunteerism. I am not running for this post for my own needs-I am running for the members of Echo Base. If you look at my record, it is short in time (been a member for little over a year), but long on service. I have gone to events in each of the three states and commonwealth of Echo Base. In my life, I have been thrown into responisble situtions- some I have been ready for; most I have not - but I served.

A 2. The seriousness of this hobby in my life is..."maybe this question shold be asked to my finance'???I devote a good potion of time to this hobby. It as given me many joys and I will I continue with this hooby for a vey long time. This hobby should be handled by the indivdual on an indivdual basis: life is real...this is only a hobby.

A 3. I am new to the costume gig. That said, I costume to be with friends and fellow costumers. I enjoy the time costuming and seeing the awe and surprize of SW fans when they see us. SW is the only gig I costume in, why? I can only afford one genre Laughing My passion is the RFT- the best damn trooper that is out there.
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My response to Joe (F16WarBird) question.

To both candidates:

What is your experience as a leader?

What is your method of conflict resolution?

My experience from my time as a captain of High School Track Team to being an Eagle Scout. In my work experience I had the opportunity of being in charge of team projects or preparing a store for the next day. Here within the Legion I have been the point man for events at the locations.

My method of resolutiong conflict is fair one, not do pass judgement until all parties have had their say. I general look for the quietest andquickest way to quell the problem. Even to drive to meet the issue head on, soI have no problem driving up to Albany or Pittsburgh and meeting with the parties face to face and chatting over a cup of coffee.
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My response to Mary Alice question.

I belong to the Rebel Legion and the 501st Legion. These are the only groups related to costuming I belong to. In the RL I hold the posts of Squad Leader of the RAID Detachement squad of Fire Team Echo in Echo Base and likwise I am the Eastern PA Regional Captain for Echo Base. In the 501st Legion, I do not hold an official post legion or garrison.

I have not be asked or forced to to step down for an duty from any post.
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My response to the questions of Mary Alice and Tharren Thompson

Mary Alice

Candidates, do you feel the current model of a large Base with Regional Captains, and members attending event within the Base, as they can, is working?
Or do you feel need to peruse possibility of breaking the Base into smaller sections?

And if the Base is broken up, do you feel there are actually enough Active members in distinct areas to warrant it?

Do you think that members would have any motivation to travel to events outside the Base (if it is broken into smaller Units) since there is no longer any motivation of "oh hardly anyone is signing up, I will troop this to help the Base" (when Base is NY, NJ, PA, DE).

The format of the base is an ongoing issue that has come up in many talks I have had with new members and vets in my travels. The system does work with a BCO a BXO, and RCs. The issue is activities and membership: we have a vast territory to cover with pockets of members. We all know about this, and it is an on going issue. If members decide to troop events in their localized area I am grateful for their service, if they decide to travel to an event outside their local area within the base territory I am equally grateful. If the base membership seek to break up the base to a more mangeable smaller bases, then I will follow what the membership wishes.

I will presue the possiblity of desolving the base only when the membership can come together and give just cause to disolve and the proper requirement of active members to keep up a territory in base formation.

As of right now, I feel that the base if broken up into small bases can function but only in a pair: example PA/DE and NY/NJ; if the base divides indivdually only the state of New York and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania willl be able to function as bases, New Jersey would be an Outpost, Delaware would be either absorbed into Pa. This is the facts from the active membership list.

My feelings on if the base is disolved and the members create new bases/outposts that travel to the events will remain regional in respect to their location; members of the Eastern sector of PA may attend events in NJ, NY and DE. Western PA members may attend events in NY. It is up to the membership. I for one with troop anywhere, my log of troops will prove it, and I do it for the base, for the members, and for the public at large.

Tharren.

distance is always a hundle for a base of our size, I know for experience. Sometimes the only way to get our name out is to travel to events that are far away. I want to give every member the opportunity to troop locally. but we are only able to do what we can with what we recieve in the manner of requests. This is why I push each member to be a represntative of the RL at an event when we participate. I know the big events are the most popular, the SWiC-Hershey was a big hit! We pick up one member from that event, and we may recieve requests form that event. It is a toss up; we can only hope. But I say this I will work to get more events to the members, so that every member may participate.
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response to Mary Alice question on the charter question.

The charter's wording of what makes a base and what makes an outpost is fine and direct. a failing on my part is I get on tangents, clearly I was on one when I answered your question on base health. I thank you for your insight.
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My response to Mark Jones (JediMasterMark)

1. The RL is about more than just dressing up and going to conventions to party and hang out with like-minded folks, cool as that is! How many non-convention/charity/benefit troops have you done over the past year? (Looking at your involvement in the club.)

2. As a leader, you have the responsibility to put your people first. This includes recruitment of new members and bringing them into our family. The answer to this question would require you speaking for your choice of XO as well, since they are your personal choice – what have you done over the past year to bring new members into the RL? What have you done to make new members of the base or group feel welcome or get them involved?

Answer 1. The Rebel Legion is more than a costume group, though costuming is a primary function of this group. Chairity work is part and parcel with this group. The blessing of Lucasfilms Ltd. allows us to do so. As a thank you for this blessing we do chairty work for numberous causes and groups. My timecard, here in the RL it is called Rebel Rising is full of hospital visits; walks for FAAN, Autism, JDRF; fundraiser/benefits for Ronald McDonald House Charities and the United Firefighters Assoc. as well as Make A Wish Foundation. Can put a number on how many I have done; in 2009 I did 14 events in 2010 I did 10.

Answer 2. When a prospect or a new members introduces themselves here on the base boards, I say welcome. If they state where they live I usual pm them with info on who is the closest member so they recieve help on thier costume or just to let them know who's who in their area. Speaking for Terry, he and I are very like minded in regard to activity and trooping. In fact, Terry was the first Rebel Legion member I met at a troop back in 2009. Since then we have crossed paths many times and worked on events together. Both he and I enjoy bring in new members into this world. That is why he is my choice for XO his experience in recruiting. The only way I can give members the opportunity to "troop" is to see what events are close by to the location they live in. Isee what is on the or and I ask around on the 501st boards, which the members of the local area I am live in welcome with open arms. What can I say Vader needs to have someone to choke Laughing Razz
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My response to Jedi-J question

This is for both candidates. What are any major plans or ideas that you may implement within our base in the coming year? Thank you

If elected, I wish to set in place two offices in the base area. Base Public Relations Officer and Base Membership Liason. The BPRO would in effect be in change of working with the BCO and BXO on promoting the base and legion. Finding new ways we can promote the base: examples Echo Base business cardsand Echo Base press kit. The BML will have the responsibility to see that all members of the base are up to date on their costumes. Plus keep an up to date list of active members and reserve members.

Another point I wish to work on is improving relations between the base and the legion as well as our fellow Star Wars fan clubs. Also to work on seeing if we can bring back into the fold reserve members of the base.

Looking for new charity events will be an ongoing point.

Furthermore, I wish to see if the base would consider to pinpoint the conventions that will be the main conventions for the base, thus giving the base the means to particpate in them.

Lastly, I wish to finish any and all old business that has carried over from the previous term.

In a nutshell that's the plan.
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My response to Gil's question regarding membership:

What do you feel is the reason so many people have walked away from doing anything within the base?

What will you do to try to bring people back to doing things with the Rebel Legion again?

There can be many reasons why a member steps away from a group or a club; a scoutmaster I knew summed it up nice, www (work, wheels, women.) But I digress, sometimes other reasons come up. A membersmakes a comment that is not well recieved or a members was shunned by other members, etc, etc. It is sad to think that a volunnteer group who came together to establish a group to participate in making costumes in the likeness in some of the most iconic characters in film history has fallen so hard to act like children. Though, if I felt I was under appreicated I would leave too.

How would someone find a way to bring back someone who costumed before? Hmm.. as a base we make a public apology for the misbehavor we as a base have done. Also, we could ask them if they wish to return and have an open door policy where anyone may return. These two ideas are just that ideas. If elected I would ask the base to have a discussion on how we can bring back members. It is not just a job for the CO but all members of a base to bring in members, new and old.

Thank you Gil for the question.
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My response to Gil's question on events:

What plans do you have to get more direct Rebel Legion events?

What is in place to make sure events are getting posted where they need to go in a timely fashion?

Direct events for the Rebel Legion are unheard of. Esspecially in recent memory. See that Lucasfilm Ltd wishes the Rebel Legion and 501st Legion to work together. This point of view I strongly support, due to the public appeal. Though to get the word out to organizations I have sent emails to libraries and museums etc informing them about our group. Seriously if the members of this base wish to have events to serve in; the members troop the events that we have set up. If the members do not troop then we do not recieve requests.

I would simply make a suggestion to the Legion Council to place a post on the Request to Appearance that to in order to appear that we ask for an apropriate time period between the request and the date of event. Example- 3 months. This just a suggestion.

Thank you for the question Gil.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Echo Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: