Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5ca0f246dd7fdb77c4f3f02b7d25535cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Saber Forge Warning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His sabers don't just have electrical problems, the machining isn't so good, either. Chatter marks, rough or sharp unfinished edges, parts fitting loosely together, holes for screws not drilled symmetrically, or missing all together. I heard someone who had one of his sabers say that just opening his saber to change the batteries severed the wires on the battery pack because the edge of one of the parts was sharp.

He does have a good eye for design, in some cases, he just doesn't build with quality, and doesn't seem to care to get better at that part, he just seems to want to keep pumping out more of his substandard junk. His sabers look good in the photos.

Unfortunately, people who see his sabers think that every saber should be priced the same. You get what you pay for. If you want quality, it costs.

Too bad more people don't research him before they buy from him. He depends on the ignorant suckers on ebay who don't know any better, or know or want to take the time to find out about him. Caveat emptor.

Chalk this up as a lesson learned and save up for a quality saber made by a reputable saber smith who will stand behind their work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with what loreen said. Be cautious who you give your money to. Plus you should never pay all up front. Do your research so you know who to get from and more importantly who NOT to get from.

Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anakinos wrote:
I have to agree with what loreen said. Be cautious who you give your money to. Plus you should never pay all up front. Do your research so you know who to get from and more importantly who NOT to get from.

Lesson learned. I would agree with this--I originally went with him based on his high positive feedback from Ebay. Later it seemed that said feedback must be from his sales of sabers he's already completed, and not from custom jobs.

"A Jedi knight!? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!"
The Sugar Jedi formerly known as The Grey Elf
KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nebelwerfer ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any of you guys still waiting on a saber order?
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This goes to show to do your homework about people selling things on the internet and look through threads. Had I not read this thread i probably would have went and ordered one. Thanks a heap guys!
Tirilia (Liz)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so having read just about every thread on the RL about lightsabers.. I still have no idea which saber smith to approach.. they all seem to have bad feedback or incredibly exorbitant prices.

Can anyone tell me Who or Where I CAN go to buy a Finished, reliable dueling saber with detatchable blade? Please? Sad
Sidd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head over to the Forums at FX-Sabers.com there is a whole list over there.

Or you can PM me
Nimsil (Brent Galanski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Dragon Con Planning Team Volunteer (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tirilia wrote:
Okay, so having read just about every thread on the RL about lightsabers.. I still have no idea which saber smith to approach.. they all seem to have bad feedback or incredibly exorbitant prices.

Can anyone tell me Who or Where I CAN go to buy a Finished, reliable dueling saber with detatchable blade? Please? Sad

There are always someone who will be dissatisfied with some business Sad

Having said that, there are plenty of good reputable saber smiths out there. The one thing to remember about sabers, if you want good quality, you will have to pay for it. There really are no cheapie sabers that are high quality.
jedichase ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like a complete idiot for not seeing this topic.

Anyway, it seems that Saberforge is not good with customs and sound.

Are his regular sabers that just light up fine?
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Dantooine Base CO
Dantooine Base CO

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedichase wrote:
I feel like a complete idiot for not seeing this topic.

Anyway, it seems that Saberforge is not good with customs and sound.

Are his regular sabers that just light up fine?

The biggest problem is he doesn't deliver. If he's pressured enough sometimes he will, but seems to be almost always with a defect. Just steer clear of the guy all together and don't chance your luck or your hard earned money.
Valissa ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,
I have perused my way through most of the saber forums here. I just wanted to give a little input. I saw/met saberforge at Wizard Chicago (Chicago Comic-Con)
I was super interested in his sabers because he was one of the ONLY sabersmiths that was there. I was seconds away from buying from him right there...but decided to do a bit of research first.

I am sooooooooooooo glad I did! Smile

I will say this, I was leaning towards him quite heavily not only for his pricing, but because he says all his stuff has a warranty and are made of high grade metal.
I am just curious if anyone has had any luck/problems with the warranty aspect of his business? Not the custom work. I am NOT going to purchase from him, I am looking at other smiths and also contemplating building my own but I want to be 100% before I go ahead with the electronics aspect of it.

He seemed to have a lot of interest in his sabers, and he had a few pieces that were 'custom' made. I wonder if they are orders never fulfilled. I caught him on Saturday at the end of the show, so I have no idea if he sold anything prior, but I am sure that some people walked away thinking they made the deal of a century. He was selling his pieces for around $100.
Tirilia (Liz)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone that is looking to buy a saber, and is a bit lost and confused by all the advice out there, I urge you to join the FX Saber forum. http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php

Every reputable saber smith is there, along with hundreds of world wide dueling enthusiasts, designers and hobbists. They can build your dream saber to the letter of your design, and work well within your budget. They're highly professional and turn out beautiful work.

I'm putting this here because of the number of people (Including myself) who had never heard of the fx saber forum until it was too late, and they bought something that turned out to be the wrong choice.

Enjoy!
Myshadowstar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other option are the hasbro sabers. I know you can't really duel with them but they are priced well. I got mine and I like it alot and its detachable too incase I dont want to carry it around Smile

-Myshadowstar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: