About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=11732041fa01228b753b2849ca04e864Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My Hardware Droid Caller

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: My Hardware Droid Caller Reply with quote

After re-reading this tutorial on the Blaster Builder's club a few months back. I decided to see if I could make a simpler version using fewer parts, that looked more accurate, and do it mostly with parts I already had on hand.

It was also a prop I'd want to have to use with the Moisture Farmer costume I was thinking of doing.

I started looking through my parts drawers to see what I could use, already knowing that a piece of 1 1/2" sink tube would be the main body. I needed something for the "emitter" and a 1" PVC plug would fit into the top with just a little sanding.

I wanted to do the silver version of the Kobold flash, not the black one like people are more familiar with:

Next, I started looking through a box of hardware and switches and pulled out a small momentary switch, some different sizes of finish washers, a picture hanger and some interesting lamp hardware.

I sanded down the lip of the PVC plug till it just fit inside the piece of sink tube. Then I marked and drilled my holes in the sink tube and plug for the hardware and switch. Then I did a test fit of the switch and hardware:

That's a finishing nail inside the "emitter".

Later, I switched out the black allen head cap screw for a silver one that looked better. I also lightly sanded the sink tube to give it sort of a "brushed" finish and make it not so shiny.

I decided that I didn't like the way the switch I had looked, and since I needed to go to RadioShack to get a buzzer anyway, I picked up a package of smaller momentary switches.

"A buzzer?", you might ask? Yes, I didn't want this to be a static prop, I wanted this to "do" something, in this case, make noise. I took my cue from the original tutorial.

Here are the parts I ended up using:

Clickable thumbnail with all the parts tagged.

Not pictured is extra wire, a small strip of styrene, pop rivets and 2 different finishing nails. I ended up not using the square aluminum tube because my idea for it didn't work.

I wanted to add the extra ridged ring you see on the real flash, so I cut a strip of thin styrene and used hot water to bend it into a circle.

I roughed up the edge of the sink tube where the ring would attach, then mixed up some 2-part epoxy and glued the ring on, using some small clamps to hold it in place while the epoxy cured. After a couple of hours, I took an X-acto knife and made the ridges around the ring.

I also used my tubing cutter to make a groove about 1/4" from the top of the "emmiter" and used a jeweler's file to widen it a bit. Then I also made ridges around the top of that piece.

Now it was time to glue the PVC plug in place with more epoxy. After a couple more hours (just for good measure, even though it was 5 min. epoxy), to hold the ring ends and the emitter on better (or just to give myself a little peace of mind), I drilled a small hole at the seam where the ends of the styrene ring came together, through the sink tube and into the PVC plug, then used a larger drill bit to counter sink it a little. Then I took a finishing nail that I cut down to about 3/8", put a drop of super glue on it and pushed it into the hole.

Then it was time for paint. I did the black first. Before the paint was fully cured, I took a pencil and added this detail from the real flash, by drawing rings that removed the black paint, though you can't see it in my pics of my prop:

After giving the paint a day to cure, I painted the silver on the ridged ring and the emitter.

Then next day it was time for the final assembly. First I mounted the round knob, then my buzzer circuit (pre-tested, of course) and lastly, I riveted the picture hanger in place.

Here are some finished pics. I kept them small, because then they look less blurry from my crappy camera.

Here it is on my belt, before I decided to move it back by mounting a hook behind the D-ring mount:

Here's adetail pic of it on my finished costume, after weathering it a bit:

Last edited by Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio) on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:15 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amalphiea ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Smile
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I enjoy the prop building part of making costumes more than the sewing part.

Not so usual for a female, I guess.

I think most women get their husbands/boyfriends or male friends to build their props for them.

Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more of a prop maker too. Couldn't sew anything other than patching stuff up, if my life depended on it.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Binks ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I will have to add this to my "to do" list of props.
Thank you for sharing.
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why I'm only just seeing this. Very nice work!

Rest In Peace Iceobel - Faithful Dog - August 1997 - July 2011

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013
phantom8 (Brian Anderson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jada wrote:
Don't know why I'm only just seeing this. Very nice work!

same here. great job!

i've got a original kobold flash, and you really would never know the difference between yours and mine, 'cept you have a lot more left over in your wallet afterward! Embarassed
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile

I also don't have to worry about losing something that cost a lot to acquire.

If it gets destroyed, or lost, I have more parts, and it would only cost me a few dollars for a buzzer and battery holder to make another one.

Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen wrote:
Thanks.

I enjoy the prop building part of making costumes more than the sewing part.

Not so usual for a female, I guess.

I think most women get their husbands/boyfriends or male friends to build their props for them.

I do all the sewing for myself and my fiance, but I'd really like to do more prop and hardware building. Whenever I do those projects I enjoy them. Except to get away with that I need to teach him to sew so all the stuff can still get done! :-P
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks awesome!

How long is that piece of sink tubing, about 3 inches? Did you cut it or did it come in that length?

I love hardware store projects. Looks like a trip to Ace is in order. Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a piece cut off from a 12", 1.5" OD sink tube left from my old EL lightsaber building days. It was never used and got thrown in a drawer where it then got dented up. So I cut off 3" from the end to use for this.

I tried to make this mostly from stuff I already had.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: