About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d2884a7f597783a953e64ead97fc7285Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

John Garzillo - citizenjohn | Answers for Base CO

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Echo Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: John Garzillo - citizenjohn | Answers for Base CO Reply with quote

This thread is for John's answers to Legion Council questions. Only he may post in it. Other candidates wishing to respond to his answers need to copy and paste from this thread into their own thread.
citizenjohn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General Fidelis wrote:
First off, congratulations John and Tim on your nominations!

1) From your "certain point of view", what are the main duties (job description, if you will) of a Rebel Legion Base Commanding Officer? NOTE: I'm not looking for a copy & paste text book answer, just an honest answer in your own words.

2) Please list your top 4 priorities if elected BCO.

Thanx, gentlemen!

1) I feel that the main duties of a BCO are to act as an intermediary / bridge between the base, and the LC especially the Legion Council BCL and to help support the base membership with their costuming endeavors.

2) My top 4 priorities are

A. To be prompt with information that is pertinent to the base; be it for upcoming events in the area or news from the Legion Council
B. Do more charity and fundraising work for current organizations we have relationships with and to establish new relationships with new charity organizations.
C.Maintain friendly relationships with other RL Bases and other fan groups in the Area
D. Solve and address interbase conflicts in a fair and non judgmental manner as quickly as possible
citizenjohn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediXXL wrote:
This question is for both candidates:

One of the things about the elections that has bothered me every year was the "suprise element" of who the XO would be after the elections.

Real world election lets you know before you vote who will be the Vice President, so in the interest of knowing who or what we can expect if you are elected:

Who is going to serve as your XO if you are elected?

I pick Gala Radinovich for the position of XO if I am elected.
citizenjohn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ysrossko wrote:
Most of the event requests we get are through the 501st. What are ideas to promote the RL?

I would start by forming a PR team of sorts to create Press Kits and to send them out to various charities and fundraising organizations. These press kits could also be used to help promote the Legion at cons and other local events. I would also have myself or the PR team contact local comic book and gaming stores to see if there any events where we can be of service to in order to help promote both the Rebel legion and the event in question.
citizenjohn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StoyBoy720 wrote:
Obviously the Rebel Legion is not the only fan group out there.

As a member of both the RL and my local FanForce chapter, I am concerned about how Echo Base will treat other fan groups in regards to event planning and event participation, seeing what has happened with previous Base COs and XOs.

How do you see Echo Base working with other groups?

I will try my hardest to work well and to repair relations with other fan groups in the area including Fan Force, 501st & NY Jedi. I feel we are all one big group; we just have differnt takes on how we celebrtate our fandom.
citizenjohn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General Fidelis wrote:
This is for both John and Tim.

1) Why do you feel you are qualified for the position of Echo Base Commanding Officer?

2) How seriously do you take this hobby of ours? For example, does Star Wars costuming define a large part of who you are -or- do you see it as fun past time that should be enjoyed after real-life responsibilities are handled?

3) Why do you costume? What is your personal passion for this hobby?

Thanx, guys!

1. I have been a member of the Rebel Legion for 8 years and for the last year I have been the COG of the Rebel Legion. I feel in all my time here I have a firm grasp on the interworkings of what is going on. Although of late there are people out there who have been questioning my abilities, I say this...Walk a mile in my shoes before you accuse me of anything. I am fair and honest and I try to stick by the rules of the Rebel Legion charter

2. Star Wars costuming and for that matter costuming in general is a large part of my life. I enjoy cosplaying but I dont let it get the better of me. I try to balance my costuming with my real life and I will admit that there are times where "Darth Real Life" will rear its ugly head once in a while. But I will try my hardest to give Echo Base the support and service the position of BCO demand of me.

3. I costume because I enjoy it. Ever since I was a child Ive enjoyed doing it. I think the biggest kick I get out of costuming is the looks on kids faces when they see me at events. My personal passion for costuming is to have as much fun as you possibly can have.
citizenjohn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queen Amidala wrote:
To all CO candidates:

What clubs/groups (Star Wars or other similar hobby) do you currently belong to and do you hold any office/rank in them, currently and/or in the past?

What clubs/groups (Star Wars or other similar hobby) have you belonged to in the past (and are no longer member of) and did you hold any office/rank in them? If any former clubs/groups, why did you leave them?

Have you ever had to step down or been removed from a clubs/groups and/or office/rank, and if so why?

Mary Alice, Im glad this question came from you.

I would like to address the last part first

Yes I have stepped down as COG and did have my admin rights removed. The reason is I thought I was doing the right thing by stopping a flame war from happening, only to have it back fire in my face. This happened last night (9/12/10) and I am sorry it turned out the way it did. I did fall on my sword and I fraked up. I was asked to intervene and did my duties that I thought were given to me. We are all human and we all make mistakes. I find this one to be a learning mistake and one I will never make again.

Now to the first part

I have belonged to fanforce and was the CR of NYC from 2004 to 2007 when I decided to no longer seek reelection for that post. I was also a member of a local now defuct Star Trek club and was an officer in that as well.
Currently I am also a member of the 501st & Empire City Garrison and a member of the SG-2 team (pending) on Sci-Fi Hero.net. I do not hold any positions of office in these groups.

I have been around fandom for most of my life in some form or another and I feel if we all act like adults we can all get along.
citizenjohn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16WarBird wrote:
To both candidates:

What is your experience as a leader?

What is your method of conflict resolution?

I would have to say that my experience as a leader comes from many sources. My role as CR/President of the NYC Fanforce, my postion as assistant manager at my previous employer and the fact that I was also a small business owner at one point I feel give me the experience needed.

My method of conflict resolution would be to mediate and arbitrate any conflicts by first gathering the information and then coming to a resolution between the parties involved. We are all adults here so I hope we can work out our differences in a manner that is most accomadating to us all.
citizenjohn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahim wrote:
I'd like to ask both John and Tim:

Echo Base is a challenging territory to command. Aside from the freezing living quarters and constant wampa threat, there is also the issue of the significant difference in population density between the western and eastern halves of the base (e.g. 1000/sq. mile in NJ vs. 70/sq. mi. here in Western PA.) Throw in the sheer size of the base (110,000 square miles all together) and you end up with a situation where people only troop events close to home because they (understandably) don't want to drive twelve hours round-trip for a three-hour troop. I know I constantly pass on troops that I'd love to attend because I can't justify the time on the road, and I'm sure people in the eastern end feel the same way. So here (at long last) is my question:Can you either equip us all with snowspeeders to eliminate time on the roads or (failing that), how do you plan to address the challenges of making more troops accessible to more members on both sides of the Base?

(No really--I'm serious about the snowspeeder thing...)

Thats a hard question to answer but I will try my best.
Due to the shear size of the base, I honestly feel its difficult at the least for members in Pittsburgh to do events in Long Island and members in South Jersey to do events in Buffalo. I fell that as a base we should have a few "Official" Echo Base gatherings at events through out the year. These events can be conventions that are held close enough to a major area, like Wizard World Philly, New York CC to name a few. That way members who can travel to one of these events can meet members from the rest of echo base that they never have.
I know its not the best solution, but it is an idea. Baring that I can get on the phone with Boeing and see how the R&D on the snow speeders is coming along Wink
citizenjohn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queen Amidala wrote:
Candidates, do you feel the current model of a large Base with Regional Captains, and members attending event within the Base, as they can, is working?
Or do you feel need to peruse possibility of breaking the Base into smaller sections?

And if the Base is broken up, do you feel there are actually enough Active members in distinct areas to warrant it?

Do you think that members would have any motivation to travel to events outside the Base (if it is broken into smaller Units) since there is no longer any motivation of "oh hardly anyone is signing up, I will troop this to help the Base" (when Base is NY, NJ, PA, DE).

Mary Alice, my opinion on this is I fell that the base is too big at this point. While the regional captians/areas is a good idea Echo is one of the biggest bases in the Legion. That being said I would be for at somepoint splitting the base into 2 seperate bases; NY/NJ & PA/DE. And if the event is big enough I dont see a problem for members to travel. Why I have even traveled to CT for some events this past year as a member of Echo Base.
We have more than enough active members in the base to warrant the split, but than again I am no proposing doing this right away, but it will be an option that i may wish to investigate at some point in the future.
citizenjohn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediMasterMark wrote:
Congrats to both candidates for their nominations!

My questions:

1. The RL is about more than just dressing up and going to conventions to party and hang out with like-minded folks, cool as that is! How many non-convention/charity/benefit troops have you done over the past year? (Looking at your involvement in the club.)

2. As a leader, you have the responsibility to put your people first. This includes recruitment of new members and bringing them into our family. The answer to this question would require you speaking for your choice of XO as well, since they are your personal choice – what have you done over the past year to bring new members into the RL? What have you done to make new members of the base or group feel welcome or get them involved?

Thank you!
Mark

Mark I donate money to Alzheimers research and Diabetes research.

I have helped with recruitment at various conventions over the past year including Big Apple Con, Dragon Con and Celebration V. I tell them what the RL is about, how to get involved and what our purpose & scope of the club is.
I have chosen Gala Radinovich as my XO because I feel that she is a strong candidate.
citizenjohn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi-J wrote:
This is for both candidates. What are any major plans or ideas that you may implement within our base in the coming year? Thank you.

J I would like to plan a Base gettogether at a con that could acomidate us all. I would also like to see a base newsletter and perhaps a new base web site. I would also like to see more RL led events in the base ( or atleast more of an RL presence at events)
citizenjohn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediXXL wrote:
For both:

What do you feel is the reason so many people have walked away from doing anything within the base?

What will you do to try to bring people back to doing things with the Rebel Legion again?

Gil, I fell one of the main reason why people have walked away from the base in the past year is due to the lack of communication that there was with the current BCO. I also feel that the economy might have had a part to play in it as many people can no longer afford to attend cons.

If elected, I would send out a email to memebrs who are listed as reserve/inactive and inform them of the new command staff and ask if they are willing to give the RL another chance.
citizenjohn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediXXL wrote:
For both:

As many of us are also members of the 501st, and events seem to be coming from that side of things mostly...

What plans do you have to get more direct Rebel Legion events?

What is in place to make sure events are getting posted where they need to go in a timely fashion?

Gil, I plan on doing as staed earlier, setting up a press kit and PR team to send out prespectives to comic shops, game shops, etc.... I would also be actively seeking out more events for us. And for the second part I will make sure that either myself or the BXO will post these notices for events as soon as we have conformation of the event.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Echo Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: