About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=26779a0cfc57782d56733a4c26853a9aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Work in Progress - Clone Wars Anakin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharakin (sheraz)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chris,
your clone war anakin is looking good Very Happy

Quote:
Lack of description of pants may have been an oversight. Either brown pants or pants matching the color of your inner tunic

i was going to ask that very same question, as to why their is no descripition for the pants in the costume requirements - thanks for clearing that up Bryan.

Personally, i would go for the same colour as your tunic is, or maybe darker as it looks in the series...

Anakin Skywalker Clone war & Episode 3 ROTS
Event Co-ordinator, Rebel legion UK- Scotland
KJO temple master- Elstree Base 2012/13
LostSkywalker (Christopher Blair)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a pair of burgundy Dickies from Matakin back when I bought the costume from him a year ago. They're too small on the waist, but they "fit" enough that I could wear them under the tunic with quite a bit a squeeze. That failing, I still have an older pair of Jedi brown pants to throw under there until I can make my nice red moleskin pants.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The burgundy Dickies is what most of us use for this version of Anakin
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, trouble is I haven't been a size 34 in six or seven years, and even when I burn off the extra weight, those things are gonn'a be a tight fit. Embarassed

The other trouble is I can't find any place around here that sells that color of basic Dickies, so I probably need to make my own, which works in general, so I can make them like we saw the pants to be in the Animated CW macroseries while Anakin was all "Ghost-Handed" out on Nelvaana
Archived Member Profile

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you order them from a "dickies" website in the size you need?
Aurabesh

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mastershane wrote:
can you order them from a "dickies" website in the size you need?

That's what I had to do.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ended up being simpler to grab some more ponte and just make a pair of pants in the same style as seen in the animated CW micro series like I did my Ep3 pants. NO one sees it really, but it's a nice finishing touch I like to do with my jedi pants. ^^

In the meantime, the new leather strap buckles and bare glove straps arrived today from Claudio, so I went ahead and switched out the straps to convert as much as possible to CW style.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/Shinigami_Sama/StarWars/Raw_image/Costume/DSCN1069.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/Shinigami_Sama/StarWars/Raw_image/Costume/DSCN1070.jpg

Posted as links so not to stretch out page width. So in the opinion of some of the higher ups, should that look good, or should i get something to cover the stitching where the velcro was mounted down? This and getting my armor plates for the chest piece are all that's left before I figure out how to rig in the neck seal, since I've got a pair of front pouches that are really nice and sturdy.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a new progress update...like four months later. ^^;;;

Armor is finally making headway, I'm getting the sections attached to the fabric and so far, everything's falling into place. As it is, it's a temp armor, which I probably will rework down the road, but for now it should work.

EDIT: Armor 95% finished other than mounting the back plate with velcro to my surcoat, and doing the full weather and paint job, along with adding a neckseal, but it should serve for now until it can be further upgraded. Comments on the progress so far, suggestions? o.o
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice progress! Smile

Have you thought about how you are going to do the neck seal? If you haven't, here's an idea if you want to try it...

I used a bungee cord... the fabric wrap is a big plus for gluing, and the cord can follow easily around the neck opening. (I tried several other things and it was a tug-of-war with twisting, etc. Sad) While the glue was drying, I clamped it in several places with the lightweight binder clips from Office Depot.

Then I covered the bungee with white (the faux "porcelain") Milliput epoxy putty to give it more shape and add some reinforcement underneath. I kept a round shape to mine since I'm not a face character, but you could use the Milliput to build up the more squarish shape of Anakin's.

I also glued small P-shaped weatherstripping along the edges of the shoulders and filled in with the Milliput to sort of build up the "pagodas" .

If you're not familiar with it, the Milliput does not shrink, and you can smooth it with a bit of water like clay, and when dry, sand it all you want. It's a lot like Bondo but finer and easier to use!!

Just a few thoughts if they would be helpful. Love watching your progress! Smile

BTW, my favorite reference pic is p. 49 of the CW Visual Guide "Ultimate Battles".
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been trying to figure out a way to add a neck seal, especially since right now, the center front plate actually sit right against my neck and kind'a rubs it, it got a test run tonight at a troop, and went okay except for the constant squeeze. , so far I had to forgo the back plate for ease of removal and because i haven't had time to align and stitch on the velco for it on the surcoat.

The trouble with this set being a "final" version is all the irregularities that happened while cutting it and the two sides are not exactly symmetrical. ~scratches head~ it's a work in progress, but I'm definitely learning as I go along.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Christopher,
nice progress,

im i right in saying that you are going to attach part of the armour onto the tunic?? why?

the neckseal can be a real pain, i used a plastic rim that was curved already to fit the armour, i attached the whole armour together, added the seal so that its the one piece .
Luckly the neckhole is just big enough for me to fit my head in Shocked

i do like Karyn's suggestion, very creative.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reason for attaching the back center plate to my coat is in the way I built it. it actually segments and the back plate does not go under the side center plates like most CW armor pieces do, it sits right between the plates, so attaching to the rest of the armor for a one piece doesn't work. The neck hole is also very form fit to my neck like on the show, so I don't have a large open gap to easily drop it down over my head.

Right now, I open the side out, then slide the main armor on like a Vader chest plate, and then I would have someone put the back plate on to the velcro that will be on the back of my coat between the shoulder. I'm also considering adding some extra velcro to further anchor the center side plates in the back so when I bend over, it doesn't start sliding off.

It's not finished, obviously, and I'm looking into getting a second set done to better get the look and function right. But so far, it's working now for me to get the hard armor on the costume finally.
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neck seal fits pretty closely too... since it's part of the armor and not separate, it "gaps" a bit where the armor pieces meet. My hair length covers it.... mostly.

Be sure the armor is not sitting on your collar bone... I assembled mine and then practiced wearing it and felt like Vader was choking me. I was so bummed to have spent all of the expense and time working on something I couldn't wear.

But I finally figured out the problem and fixed it by removing a bit of the armor material right at the collar bone and then taping a thick piece of foamies a couple of inches below as cushioning.

I can now wear the thing all day... very comfortably... and mine is heavier weight than most. (I had to add a lot of Bondo underneath after I heat shaped it rather "severely" to fit my narrower arms and shoulders.)

Bottom line, try to identify your pressure points and remedy those, and you will be fine.

Dremel is your friend. Wink

P.S. Re Velcro... I was going to do Velcro, but I had no confidence in my ability to get the back plate on straight. Being the only girl at a lot of our troops, I knew I'd have to dress myself. So I bought some neodymium magnets at WalMart in the craft department (yes, they have one size on a green hanging card) and my back plate snaps into place.

Obviously, mine is configured differently from yours, but perhaps some strategically-placed magnets might help in some areas.

P.P.S. Thanks, Sheraz. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I need to get a dremel to open up the front plate at the neck some more so I can fit in a seal. Trouble being that work has been having some trouble getting my paychecks out to me on time since I transferred departments, so I've been trying to stretch what little I do have out a lot more than it can honestly manage. The armor was also just finished thursday night, so I'm hoping to do some work before my next troop to get some more space around the neck. And right now, the front center plate sits right at my collar bone, so opening it out some more should help. Not exactly a choking that it's doing, just an uncomfortable rub, plus the shoulder sections are still raised a bit more off my shoulders than I'd like, but again, it's a work in progress. ^^;;;

I do highly appreciate the advise, Karyn, and it should hopefully help get this brat of a costume piece into order. After the fixes to the actual armor, I should be able to start painting it, once I figure out the right color gray to use...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bondo underneath after I heat shaped it rather "severely" to fit my narrower arms and shoulders.)

Bottom line, try to identify your pressure points and remedy those, and you will be fine.

Dremel is your friend.

Thats what i did, just to get it to fit around the shoulders,
Dremals are fantastic to work with but take your time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: