About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0e1897c4f5825a70b843cd1c9cc66b3eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH Ceremonial Gown help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaylaOrgana ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: ANH Ceremonial Gown help? Reply with quote

Hello all!

I'm relatively new to the world of costuming though my mother and I have been sewing together for much of my life. I'm recently engaged, a huge Star Wars nerd, and had an idea to make a Ceremonial Gown from ANH for my wedding dress.

I found KayDee's excellent website yesterday and today this forum, and the 501st, were recommended to me for ideas. (We also want to build or commission an R2 unit to be our ring bearer, but that's a separate post!) I'm looking for any suggestions about where to start for patterns, fabrics, material for the belt, the neckpiece, etc. I did see the description on the standards page here, but since it's for a wedding I'm thinking about making the dress a little less "standard" and a little more "fancy."

Any help would be sincerely appreciated! Very Happy
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check www.padawansguide.com as well there are some really good up close pics of the dress. and theforce.net for on going discussions of the costume parts. as for the jewelry I know some people have made their own out of sculpy but since this is for your wedding, you can see if you can track down the discussion of the original artists reissue of the pieces, it's somewhere around here. for material, depending on how expensive you want to go, www.thaisilks.com/ has great prices for the kinds of fabrics you'd want to use. As for patterns that I'm unsure of, someone who's made the dress would have to weigh in, but usually when I'm making stuff I try to copy it from pics instead of relying on trying to find a pattern.

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padwan's Guide and Kay Dee's site are probably your best sources.

LaylaOrgana ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those links. I'll be taking a more in-depth look at them very soon. Smile
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the movie will help too, because sometimes seeing a costume "in action" is the best way to see how it works.

I love having them on DVD because I can pause a scene and then play it forward very slowly or backward very slowly and I can zoom in, which is VERY nice. Smile

Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a little slow, but I have made this costume in the past and am in the process of remaking my second version. Wink

I'll see what I can give you of help, but like I said I'm remaking my dress to make it more screen accurate and using better fabric for the sleeves and overdress.
One thing I can say, is that padawansguide was a great help for me. Very Happy There is some really excellent pictures on it.
This might help you in regards to the necklace(and matching bracelet): http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Organa%27s_Ceremonial_Necklace

This is pictures of the second version of the dress and the progress for remaking it. http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff269/Maria-Lora/Kostumer/Leias%20ceremoni%20kjole/?start=all
I'm about halfway; underdress is the old dress, just a little shorter since it was a bit too long(it should be ankle length. Overdress is slightly longer than the underdress). The pictures with fabric and pattern on the floor is for the overdress.(Note that the movie version has a little tail which will good very good for a wedding dress). I haven't quite figured out exactly how long it should be, so I've made it a little extra long; I can always make it shorter again. Wink
Note that I will add wedges in the sides to give it more volume(and make it walk/runable) and make it flow more.

So far I don't have anything on the remaking of the sleeves, so can't help you there.
Hope this will be useful for you. And for others planning on doing this costume. Amadalia

Oh, and don't forget to check out angelsofiego.com! Great costuming site for all the 'girl' costumes. Don't remember how much there is on the ceremonial dress, but you can always check it out.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: