About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f5fa3b81c62950ec1acc7539336ab199Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

R2's take'm when needed leave them when not
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Styrofoam_Guy ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this post.

I have had an RC R2 since 2001. I have 2 working droids. I care about events. I do not care about swag.

I am allowed full access to the local 501st forums so I know about all their events. They know R2 steals the show whenever he shows up but they want him there because they know it promotes our love for Star Wars.

I have a not 100% accurate Jedi costume, Xwing Pilot and I am working on a clone trooper. When I bring R2 out I am generally not in costume. Preparing and transporting R2 is a lot of work so I do not want to add a costume to that. I like to blend in the crowd and try and hide the fact that I am operating R2. It adds to the magic.

I check into the forums every so often but without full access to local events it is not a priority for me. I go to the 501st forum first

DroidWelder wrote:
GotWookiee wrote:
In all these discussions about allowing droid builders in I've yet to see an actual droid builder involved in the discussion, just lots of "friends."

I can't speak for any staff members but I can't imagine anyone in command giving a poodoo about this if droid builders aren't not even interested enough to comment on the issue.

Sorry, I have not been on this forum for at least a month.
I am an R2 Builder but not an official member of any of the costuming groups.
Apparently you haven't read my thread titled "What are the differences between RL and R2 Builders?"
Or the other threads in this section also discussing this subject. (there are two or three posted here.)

The discussion came up on the R2 Builders forums as soon as the RL created this "Droids" section on your site.
And Frankly it was not received well. One reason is that the R2 Builders club does not want to become the same type of political system that the costuming clubs are. They do not want to have judges deciding who's droids are good enough and who's aren't. And I don't blame them at all for feeling that way.

GotWookiee wrote:
No, owning a droid does not qualify you for membership. However, some would like that to change.

Personally, I would like to see access to events granted to droid builders, but would not approve of granting them full membership with the ability to vote and hold office.

Thus far Phyllis is the only droid builder (that I am aware of) that has posted on this topic. I commend her for being unwilling to speak for others. The rest of you should follow her example.

Those of us who have held office in this club, especially the Legion Council, have seen this sort of thing many times before. Whether they are arguing for more relaxed standards or trying to start a base or outpost without enough members, there are always people claiming to represent the voices of many others who choose to remain silent. In the end it always turns out to be a bluff. Until you can back this up with people who actually have a horse in the race, no one will take this seriously a second time.

If we are to extend any kind of official privilege to droid builders it will require some sort of change to the charter, droid standards to determine what is and is not admissible and probably an LCJ for processing droid applications.

Getting on the boards and talking about how awesome it would be of droid builders could be members won't get you anywhere. If you want to make this happen, here is what you need to do:
  1. Get people with finished droids involved in the discussion. This is a public board, anyone who wants to make their voice heard doesn't need others to do it for them.
  2. Figure out what you want. Full membership? Events access? What?
  3. Write up a proposed amendment to the charter, write droid standards. Select someone for the office of Legion Droid Judge. Don't expect the LC to do all the leg work, do it yourself.

Anything less and you are just wasting your breath. I'm not saying that to be rude or insulting, just giving honest and accurate appraisal of the situation.

I speak now for myself only. Other R2 Builders can speak for themselves if they choose to do so.
To be honest, concerning my previous posts on this subject, I was treated by certain RL officials as a total outsider. Treated like I shouldn't even dare to make any such suggestion. In PM's I was also accused of simply wanting in to get access to the RL merchandise.
In one instance I was told that I could not order a single patch from one of our local events when I was directly represented on it. (A joint RL, 501st, Mercs, R2 Builders patch.)

I tell you, I've been a member of the R2 Builders for almost a decade now. I'm just now completing some droids. (are they ever really complete?) I enjoy going to the local RL and 501st charitable events to drive the droids around, and I enjoy hanging out with the local costumers.
However, I do not enjoy putting in more effort than many of the people in costumes that are officially representing the RL, and being denied recognition for my efforts. I do not enjoy being treated like a wanna-be by certain RL officials. I also do not enjoy telling other R2 Builders that want to participate, that they cannot click on the little tab that says they will be joining the others for an event because the RL doesn't officially recognise us.

I don't give a flip about your RL coffee mugs or T-shirts and the like.
I don't want to vote or hold office in the RL. I don't want R2-D2 to be granted an official member of the RL. (Neither does most other R2 Builder members from their responses posted on the R2 forums.)

I simply want some official recognition for my efforts in supporting the RL at RL events.
I want access to the planning forums for said events.
I want to be able to click on the little tab that shows I have registered to come to an event.
I would be perfectly happy with some sort of title "Friend of the RL" or "Ally of the RL".
And I do expect being allowed access to ordering/purchasing merchandise that R2 Builders are represented on.
(And it would be nice to get a couple of the local RL base patches that are offered.)

I didn't even consider proposing changes to the charter myself after the reaction I received from individuals in response to previous posts I had made on this subject. I personally would not know where to start in making changes. How much of the charter would need to be changed just to let us click the little tab for events???

And on another note not specifically related to R2 Builders,
You guys really need to make some way for new members to purchase costume pieces to complete a costume without being an official member. Allow them to purchase if they have a recommendation from the local base CO and XO or something. Telling new members that they can't purchase anything they NEED for a costume because they are not an offical RL member is a lousy way to welcome people into the fold!

David L. (AKA DroidWelder)

P.S. My Clone Wars R2 made his first steps at CV!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A5U5WgfQvc

drazen96 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, I am an R2 builder also same as calvin in the southern builds group. I have both wanted to offer up my droid and services for events as well as work on a costume. I hadn't sen this post before the one I had seen seemed a little more hostile to R2 drivers so I was hesitant to make a post. I do have interest in wokring on a costume for RL. Only problem is the costume I want to do is quite tricky sense it is not a common one and probably would take a while to get done unless I can get some contacts to work with. Speaking for myself do I want to troop with you guys? heck yeah. Do I wanna be able to bring R2 for events and share him with others. Of course. I can say the time and effort that goes into making an accurate R2 is probably alot more then anyone who has not built one to guess at. My R2 took 4 months to build now given that was 5 days a week 6-9 hours per day.

Whether you have a costume, an R2, or a TK we all share the same love for Star Wars. We all want to share that fandom with others and bring that to others. Maybe something can be worked out with local bases to work with builders that want to be included in events to be included and be let some what into the fold to work on costumes and such.

fletch
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drazen96 wrote:
I do have interest in wokring on a costume for RL. Only problem is the costume I want to do is quite tricky sense it is not a common one and probably would take a while to get done unless I can get some contacts to work with.

ok...lol...I am curious...which costume are you interested in?

Sounds like it is one that has not been done....

I don't know if I could be any help...but I can certainly try...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
drazen96 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one I want to do is the Lando skiff guard outfit. the pants and shirt are pretty straight forward but the armor and helmet are a whole nother ball game. I looked in the roster and didn't see anyone registered with it. The only one I have been able find that was made was 3 years ago.
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch...that is a good one...
and..
I am sorry to say..
I got nothing on that..

Crying or Very sad

drazen96 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah for the most part the costume is simple enough but when it comes to the helmet thats more of a comission type job by someone who really knows sculpting and armor crafting. and sure i could work on all the other parts of the costume but i would rather wait till i can for sure nail down the helmet as that is the trick part of the costume. but allowing r2 builders in RL in some fashion so that we are in the fold to be able to work with those types of people would help out.

i understand r2 isnt a typical costume but we as builders do put a ton of time and energy and effort into making our r2 the best he can be same as all the costumers.
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2 is indeed a never ending project..
and I had a head start..

here is my R2's "blog"...

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20807

Wink

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lando skiff guard would be awesome!

Roboticist ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, as a droid builder first, I found it interesting that most of the information on this forum was not available to me until I made a costume.

I'm not saying droid builders should be full members here. We have our own group and our own way of doing things. All I'm going to say is it would be nice if we had access to event organization information as non-RL people.

The only reason I made a costume in the first place was to hide my remote control in my ample sleeves. I'm perfectly comfortable out of costume as well and have done many events that way. It's just easier if I have the droid not to have to wear the costume. I consider myself a droid builder/operator first. The droid is an extension of me and my own personality. When I operate it, it's like I'm wearing it as a costume. When we interact together it's more like a ventriloquist's dummy. We have a blast fooling people into thinking he's alive. Several people per event fall for it, and it's great when it happens.

If there's a way to allow "Allies of the Legion" or some other title, then I'd say let's do it. If nobody signs on for it, then so be it. No changes necessary to the constitution, no droid judging, no favoritism of any kind. Let the droid builders have a say in organizing an event, let them sign up for events, and let them buy swag, especially if it's related to the droids.

Either way, what could it hurt? That's just my 2 cents.
_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roboticist wrote:
I must say, as a droid builder first, I found it interesting that most of the information on this forum was not available to me until I made a costume.

I'm not saying droid builders should be full members here. We have our own group and our own way of doing things. All I'm going to say is it would be nice if we had access to event organization information as non-RL people.

The only reason I made a costume in the first place was to hide my remote control in my ample sleeves. I'm perfectly comfortable out of costume as well and have done many events that way. It's just easier if I have the droid not to have to wear the costume. I consider myself a droid builder/operator first. The droid is an extension of me and my own personality. When I operate it, it's like I'm wearing it as a costume. When we interact together it's more like a ventriloquist's dummy. We have a blast fooling people into thinking he's alive. Several people per event fall for it, and it's great when it happens.

If there's a way to allow "Allies of the Legion" or some other title, then I'd say let's do it. If nobody signs on for it, then so be it. No changes necessary to the constitution, no droid judging, no favoritism of any kind. Let the droid builders have a say in organizing an event, let them sign up for events, and let them buy swag, especially if it's related to the droids.

Either way, what could it hurt? That's just my 2 cents.

that's what I'm saying folks !

Yesterday in Adelaide we had our first troop with an R2 (90% complete one anyway*lol*)

and we had to post the troop out of our mission planning area so Mick can view it !!! what's the point of having a private planning area when troops need to be organised outside of it for our R2 friends ?

I'd love for Mick to buy merchandise & feel like a RL member without having to beg him to make a Yavin tech costume when all he wants to do is make his R2 come alive !

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would make it easier if the R2-D2 Builders club members were given access to event planning (and yes, perhaps even merch) but not necessarily made members of the Rebel Legion. That's not what everybody wants, and if they do want to be a member then they'd make a costume (like myself). That way, there doesn't have to be any Rebel Legion standards for what R2-D2 (or any other astromech droid) should look like/have/contain/etc...

Does that even make sense? Rolling Eyes

_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

certainly does to me Very Happy

Samurai ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main thing is most Droid builders do it because they like doing it, it does not mean they like dressing up. The R2 Builders are not an event group, just building. As such, our forums do not really have event planning and no real way for people to contact builders for events. Builder rely on word of mouth and, at the moment, the 501st forums. Just allowing access to an event forums may get more droids to events, IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: