About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=31bc1e7cb03cb29ff3af0bd7fe5bc601Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Gone Wookie - Torment's Tarfull **Full pics page 8**
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the armor out of sheets of abs haircell. I made all the masters flat and cast them in 305 resin. Its a rapid cure resin. fully cured in 45 mins and soft cured in 30. At 30 i pull the cast while its soft and shape it over some rounded caps that I have. I have to pull each piece one at a time and it takes time to construct, but its allows for better paint work if I assemble it last than if I cast it whole. Once its shaped and hardens, I can take it apart and paint and it will always fit together the same way. The resin is heavy, but for what I have been wearing all my costuming life, its rather light weight. I think it comes in around 3 pounds for the bell.

I am going to build either a magnetic harness underneath the suit or a hook suspension to alieveate some weight. I know the suit had buttons to hold it together in the fur. then again the materials they used were far lighter than what I have available to me.

Thanks for the nod by the way
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look fantastic, very well done!

Might be interested in a set if you consider doing a run!
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill see how fast i can assemble the second one. If I can do it faster then what I did the first I may do the run. Not sure on cost, but they are awesome. Since I have to assemble them that will add to them. I cant put them out unassembled because they have to be assembled as they are poured. Ill see, but I am happy so far!
RoninJedi (Ann Marie)
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are looking awesome! It's great to see such care put into sculpting the details that can really make or break a costume.
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok all the leather is assembled on the main belt. The armor was loosely fitted just to get an idea of an over all look.

The next step is to add the muscles to this suit. For the shoulders I will use a base of football pads then work up from there. The chest will have 1 inch foam pads shaped like pecks. The back will have deltoids the run from the traps down the spine. Those will be two inches and also made of green foam. That will be wrapped in a spandex covering to retain shape and will be set to lock down to the pads. After that thighs will be padded out and so will my forearms. I made a concession to go a bit taller and extend my arms using puppet hands. For all intents and purposes, the hands will work. I should be able to pick things up and use them to drink. However I am not sure how much delicate work I will be able to do. I am using a design I found for some steam punk costumes but modifying (improving) it somewhat, Ill have to create a laytex hand to go over the mech hands. I have the main body of the hands done. i'll post pics once I have all the parts of that and it somewhat assembled. But wanted to get this out there for the time being.

here is the first painted bell. It is nearly done. i have a bit more weathering to do, but Its assembled and mostly there. The belt is being dyed tomorrow, then I have to do the strapping of the ammo boxes.

Here are a few pics....

To give it a size comparison shot, here it is next to my clone bell.

Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks the biz, how wide are the straps?
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main belt and center straps are all 4" wide. They have a 1/4" detail grove on each side. Same with the 1" looping straps. The shoulder straps however are 3.75" wide to compensate for my boo boo on making the chest piece a bit off, in exact proportions. To adjusts this, I removed a little material from the belt boxes making them a bit smaller so that they look the same, but are smaller. Since the boxes are far enough away from eachother, I think it will be hard to tell the minor size differences without noticiably looking for them.

Ill be posting pics of the ammo boxes on the belt and such soon. they are hitting the sander and getting painted to day, along with the belt being dyed. After that is just final assembly of this thing. Ill have to make the bells detachable so I can transport it to troops easier, but in the end, this is gonna be totally worth it I will say however Padding will be key. I gave the correct 2 inch spacing between each box and Its a bit over a 50 inch waist. I really never have had to gain size for a costume.

Ill have to come up with some body padding to give my waist a bit more mass.
Princess Leia Organa (Lori)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job Jas! Can't wait to see more! Keep up the great work!

Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job....I love the natural tribal look of the armor and the paint weathering.

Chewy Layers snow to print
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the compliments. When this armor project is done, and I am in limbo of what to do, I will be making the forearm armor and the staff as well. Same kinda design so it should be familiar, but be a piece for me to have with me for fun and photo ops.
Lonescout (Angelo Marcano)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J, Your not done?....the Kashyyyk needs a wookie!...Looking good! Dance Chewie

Former BSN Admid.
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing major to post, got a new skull to work with since the first one was all warped from heat stroke. I made the eyes bigger and allowed room for the ears. I also removed a bit from the lower rear of the head to allow my noggin to get in a bit easier. Then I started to paint the teeth. I have seen some of the awesome denture work out there, so I know this will pale in comparison, but I think for a paintbrush the gums and teeth came out ok. Kinda like the all banana diet Kong was on. Either or here are the teeth. Ill show the full skull this weekend when its all assembled and padded to fit right.

Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest giving them a layer of gloss or preferably satin varnish to give them that wet shiny look!
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally was going to do that. I have something called triple thick varnish. Its a clear coat but it is shiney looking. I have some other Vaseline products that I am going to use to give it an almost slimey look. May not have to use it after the gloss though. Ill see.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teeth are looking really good!

I would go with the clear coat and avoid using Vaseline IMO. Being a petroleum product it may do something overtime to your paint job. The clear coat should be more then enough to give that shine, and also protect your paint job.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: