About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e79dc3f21891f7523c1643caa32d7607Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Han Solo in progress
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
furystorm (Andrew Barton)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: New Han Solo in progress Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I certainly hope it's alright for me to start a thread on this board to collect my thought inside of. I've always dreamed of creating a costume from the Star Wars universe and joining the fine Rebel Legion. Now after having my passion reinvigorated with an awesome CV experience, I've decided to finally make the dream into a reality.

Through a strange twist of fate, I won a simple 1/6 figure of Han Solo, and this has helped to finally solidify my selection. With so many great characters in the universe, it is easy to become lost and want to create more than one costume. This, I am sure many of you are well aware of.

Currently, I have far more questions than answers concerning costuming. I feel relieved to have narrowed my selection down to Han. However, which version? There are so many to choose from. Without making it seem like any costume will be easy, I will say that I want to portray the simple Han from either ANH or ESB, as these are my two favorite films. I don't wish to become overwhelmed in the details of say a Hoth Han or otherwise.

I want to create the most authentic costume that I am able to, and this forum seems to be rife with suggestions, tutorials, and reference material. I'm willing to work my own leather, stitch my own bloodstripes, and take the necessary time needed to create a truly exceptional Han Solo.

So to begin, let me see if I can list items which will be requisite for entrance into the Rebel Legion. Of course each will pose its own challenges, I know, but currently I'm just making a rundown of items in their simplest forms.

1. Pants
2. Shirt
3. Jacket
4. Belt
5. Holster Belt
6. Boots
7. Blaster
8. Droid Caller & Tools

So with all of that said, money being no object, and three years time until CVI (hopefully), what would some of you say would be a cost estimate for this costume? I can see the boots will be expensive, as well as the Blaster. Also, concerning the Blaster, is it acceptable to carry a Master Replicas version, or must it be hand made? Like I said before, so many questions.

I look forward to beginning progress on my new side-hobby, as well as any and all input.

Thank you! Very Happy

Last edited by furystorm (Andrew Barton) on Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Luke_Skywalker (Frank Sommer)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to see first pictures.

MTFBWY

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incoming generic welcome aboard message.....

---------------------------------------

Welcome aboard first off.

Second and most important… read as much as you can. There are a lot of mistakes we have made, and you can save yourself a lot of money and time by reading advice on the boards and learn what to avoid before you even start.

I will throw a few links to thread that I would recommend reading.

I will also recommend that when you do buy your boots.. remember that the boots are usually the one item you will want to spend the most money on for they will give you the biggest return. A good pair of boots could be the difference between comfort and agony, and approval to membership or not.

I also highly recommend that you read up on the Han standards, there has also been talk about changes to Han boot standards, so I would recommend keeping a close watch out for updates for those as well

For all things Han I have built a list of things on this thread to help new guys out Han Archive

I would also take note of the following threads to help you on your way:

1. Airsoft mauser conversion

2. ESB air soft mauser conversion

3. pants info

4. Holster build from scratch

4.5 MP productions Han Holster
If money is not an issues go with MP productions for your holster, just make sure you get a full set of buckels so you can cover all the costumes you might end up with. If you did not know allready... each movie has a set-up for buckels.... they are not they same.

5. Making your own bloodstripes

6. ANH Vest Breakdown

7. Han Standards

On the pants pattern..... Its been a while since the Kwik sew pattern has been discontinued, but there has been another pattern that will work very well for Han pants, and that is the Burda Young Fashions pattern 7733.

This pattern should require very little to modify for a good pair of pants for Han. Form up the pocket to them main leg for pocket-less pants. Draw in your ridding seam on muslin fabric and you should be good to go. You may need to downsize most pants patterns just a dad for tight pants Wink.
The girls will love yah for it. solo blaster

This burda pottern runs tight for most people, so it usually works out so you do not need to downsize much.
Burda young 7733

The reason I suggest this pattern is its more of a straight legged pattern, and the yoke which will help a better fit with the ridding seam. Been noticing a lot of the pants out there don't have the yoke and this I feel can lead to an uncomfortable fit.

Bob

Read up on those threads, and then feel free to ask away, there is a lot of info we can help with.

Good luck!

Bob Kohn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is one detailed response. Thank you so much for the multitude of resources you have listed. I've skimmed over most of the tutorials, but can assure you I will be reading the bulk of them in much greater detail as I get started.

The choice of blaster seems to be dictating my decision to create an ESB Han. I like the red bloodstripes of the ANH version, but with the inflated price of the MR ANH blaster, I think I'll be okay with the yellow. I don't see myself kitbashing a blaster. For that one item at least, I would like it to be accurate out of the box.

Thanks again for the welcome and the vast information. Very Happy
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get Luke's ESB blaster for ~$225 from starworld on Ebay. it's almost the same as Han's Wink
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! It is always great news to hear of another Han joining the ranks.

Another option for the blaster is from Unique Canes, As Cobalt mentioned the Luke ESB is almost the same as Solo's Here it is $189

http://yhst-5672966975550.stores.yahoo.net/swesb.html

Holster, you can not go wrong with MPproductions. if money is no object.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

If we can be of any help please feel free to let us know.

Phoenix 17

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are very generous with the inside information, and I greatly appreciate it. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I want my costume to be the most authentic that I can make it. I have actually located a MR ESB Han Blaster for only $200, because there is a tiny fracture in the case. I'm pretty sure I can live with that flaw for the great price, especially since I'm only going to be lugging the Blaster itself around anyway, and I expect they take some abuse while in costume.

My question, is this the "best" route to go? I won't have any issues with authenticity or getting into the Legion with a MR Blaster, right?

Going to take a day to mull over the purchase, but I'm leaning heavily toward getting this one for $200.

And so it begins...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my two current burning questions are:

1. Should I buy a Master Replicas blaster?

2. Should I purchase the droid caller and tool kit from Corellian Exports?
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furystorm wrote:
So my two current burning questions are:

1. Should I buy a Master Replicas blaster?

2. Should I purchase the droid caller and tool kit from Corellian Exports?

Blasters are a very personal thing and it all depends on the person, and the person’s skill. I would consider the following:
1. Do you plan on going for just looks like? Or do you want the weighty feel of a heavy blaster.
2. If I go with a heavy blaster will my holster hold up?
3. If I have a heavy blaster with a good holster... will I hold up on long troops?
4 If I go with a cheap blaster can I make it look real enough?
5. Will my blaster fit in the holster that I buy/ have made?

Very few people troop with MR blasters, but it can be done, a well fitted holster that fits you well can hold these kind of things like MR blasters and any Denix based blaster. If your holster does not fit well, you will be picking up your holster allot, because the weight will pull down fast and often.

I made my own holster and blasters. My holster was made after I had my blaster built. Making sure that more than one blaster will fit your holster is key for future costuming use (if you plan on making more than one that is).

Picking a costume is like picking a blaster... very personal... something you alone must choose. I would go for your favorite, and go from there.

Something to note about the costume ... mainly the holsters/buckles.

ANH and ESB share the same style holster and buckles... the difference is the buckles are flipped front to back... that’s it, besides the tools in the belt.

ROTJ has a different holster (though most would never notice besides us Hans)... however the buckles are the same front and back. This is something to consider when/if you buy your holster. 1 holster covers two movies, while the other only covers 1.

The droid caller:

I actually got my first droid callers( yes... there is more than 1 style) from CE... takes a bit of cleaning up, but they served me for 2-3 years. I then got the real thing off ebay on the cheap when I could. I searched ebay for close to 2 years... checking correct and misspelled versions of Kobold till I got them. I still see them on ebay from time to time. There is also a few vendors who make them.... you can find them on my archive listing if you get the chance.I know that was listed a while back was doopydoos . All in all they are easy to find on the cheap really. They can even be made... there is even a tutorial on that... found by Montee I believe.

GL

Bob
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my MR blasters. when MR was going out of business I picked up a spare han ANH for costuming. it definitely looks the part, but it weighs a ton. even the on-screen prop never weighed so much. (the MR blasters are solid die cast metal. a real gun is mostly hollow on the inside). they are very impractical for costuming because they are SUCH a hefty chunk of metal.

so I bought a modified airsoft gun on ebay which is hollow and 90% plastic.
--> looks great. less filling. Wink

-===========-

I have the droid caller from evolution toyshop http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Han-Solo-Droid-Caller-/110572578576
its real metal. its hollow. its got a 9v battery powering a small lightbulb in the front (like a flashlight).
and there's plenty of room in there for a little buzzer/rumble-motor Wink

Last edited by Cobalt60 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point exactly. I too have a heavy blaster, but I also have the fallback of the ol Kenner. I prefer the heavy to light, but I have a solid steel buckel to allow such a blaster.

Either way... whatever blaster you decide to go with , make sure it is something your holster and you can handle.

Bob
Rumble (Beth)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an MR Han ESB that I use with my X-Wing pilot. I don't have a holster yet so just have to carry it around, but it's weighted well and I've never had a problem with it being too heavy. I like that I can hand it to a kid and they believe that it's real. I have a hyperfirm rifle I carry with my sandy and it's just too dang light.
"Time for some thrilling heroics."
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! You'll find a lot of good advice here.

Yeah, it gets old carrying my heavy Blast-Tech around but the way people's eyes get big when I pass it over to them and they feel the weight of it makes it worth it.

I got the CE droid caller and tools and have been very happy with them.

Looking forward to seeing your progress Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all of your encouraging and supportive responses. I have a new question, just something that popped into my head and which I won't actually have to deal with for a very long time, but...

When you have a blaster like the one for Han, how does everyone travel with it? Say I had to travel by plane to Orlando again for CVI, even though it is just a replica, is there any special handling involved? And also, will I need a permit in my state, or any other for that matter, even though it is only a replica?
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having never actually traveled with a blaster ..(so take this for what its worth)..
I would ship it to orlando via UPS and then pick it up when I get there. *shrug*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: