About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ae72a9d88b175c5dff07a49493b4aa2cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ESB Solo Jacket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthias777 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: ESB Solo Jacket Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm new here...been lurking for a day or two and finally decided to make a post. I'm looking into putting together an ESB Solo, and wanted to make sure I had some things straight before I even attempted to move forward.

I think I'm going to start with the jacket, and I've seen people recommending the Dawn Anderson Designs Falcon Jacket Pattern. I'd be having someone who actually knows something about sewing putting it together for me, and was wondering if there was anything about the pattern that needed to be changed or made note of to make it screen-accurate.

As far as I can tell, it just needs to be done in a charcoal cotton twill for the shell, light grey acrylic(?) for the lining, and have the zipper left off. Is that pretty much it?
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacket patter is good minus the zipper. Charcoal Gray or Navy Blue for the color, that is up to you.

Welcome to the Fringe and the RL. If you need anything we are all here to help you in any way we can.

Please keep us updated on your progress here with frequent posts.

Phoenix 17
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, thats the best pattern out there!

GL on the costume!
Matthias777 ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. If only there were great patterns for all of the pieces...

I'll try to keep this updated as long as I'm making progress, but I don't know how much time I'll really be able to spend on this thing. Hopefully enough to see it through in a semi-reasonable amount of time, but we'll see. This is my first try at anything like this, so I'll be hitting the learning curve, I suppose. Shocked

As far as the jacket goes, I had a couple of questions about the interior. I know it's not required as far as the RL goes, but my aim is more to replicate the actual jacket rather than to meet the minimum Solo requirements. From what I can tell, the jacket seems to be lined with a medium grey material. I know that in one of the previous threads in this forum, someone brought up a lining for the RotJ vest and suggested an acrylic lining, and was wondering if the same would hold true for the jacket.

The picture (that I'm sure you're all familiar with) of an actual prop jacket owned by The Prop Store of London.

Additionally, I've not seen anyone make mention of this, but is there an interior pocket on the (wearer's) left side? This may seem like a bizarre question, but I have a reason for asking:

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 100% sure, and such is the life of a costumer doing research. IMO it looks like the linning of the jacket wrinkled catching a shadow. However there is nothing that says you cannot put a pocket there in the standards.

In fact you will find out most of the creative costumers out there tend to hide pockets such as the one you are hinting at for convention use.

Doing some of the research on the jacket a few of us have come to agree that the jacket was probably a charchole twill of some sorts. It is not uncomon for a charcoal to give of hints of blue under certain lighting.

There is also a theory I believe by Cobalt on the issues with technicolor that leads towards the direction of the film stock used in the time of the movies that tend to lend the eye towards the bolor blue over black ... over time. Meaning after time gets a hold of the film stock it will get more and more blue as time goes on.

Here is a link to that thread if your interested: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19225&highlight=charcoal

Hope this helps in your search of knowledge!

Bob
Matthias777 ()

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Not 100% sure, and such is the life of a costumer doing research. IMO it looks like the linning of the jacket wrinkled catching a shadow. However there is nothing that says you cannot put a pocket there in the standards.

I think that's part of what I have enjoyed about this so far...researching and learning. Watching the same two seconds (literally) of footage a few dozen times has me convinced that it's fabric and not a trick of the lighting. I could still be wrong; I know sometimes you just see what you want to see, but here's what I think I see:

Wouldn't it be nice if Stephen Lane would have taken a couple more photos and shown the world what the inside of the jacket looked like? Mr. Green

SoloYT1300 wrote:
In fact you will find out most of the creative costumers out there tend to hide pockets such as the one you are hinting at for convention use.

Well here's to hoping that this thread gives such costumers a little extra ammunition for the argument of making their jackets that way!

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Doing some of the research on the jacket a few of us have come to agree that the jacket was probably a charchole twill of some sorts. It is not uncomon for a charcoal to give of hints of blue under certain lighting.

There is also a theory I believe by Cobalt on the issues with technicolor that leads towards the direction of the film stock used in the time of the movies that tend to lend the eye towards the bolor blue over black ... over time. Meaning after time gets a hold of the film stock it will get more and more blue as time goes on.

Here is a link to that thread if your interested: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19225&highlight=charcoal

Hope this helps in your search of knowledge!

Bob

Yes, the Technicolor process was the reason for the insane bluish tint to Empire, although I don't remember a whole lot of the science of it, and will trust Cobalt's explanation. I recall it being explained on the fanedit.org site somewhere; it was one of the many things that the good fanedits tackled. I don't know if any of you are familiar with Adywan's "Revisited" fanedit(s), but he complete ANH a few years ago, and has since been working on Empire. I'm not sure how close it is to completion, but I do have a few images on hand that show the difference between the 2004 DVD coloring and Adywan's color-corrected "Revisited" version:

So I think I've done all the research I can do...now I have to actually get the work done! Shocked
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting stuff

If you look at the cover and other photos inside the ESB 10th Anniversary Issue of the Insider, you can see how the Jacket really looks more like a Dark Grey or almost Black like the image posted. I have looked at a lot of photos on line and this is the first time that I have seen it this way. Even in well lit promotional type photos it looked Blue.

No wonder Hasbro painted the action figure back back in 1997/98 Black. They were actually making it correct based on photos they probably looked at but later versions of the figure would be blue since fans always saw it as Blue and complained.

So if you want to make your jacket Charcoal Grey, can a twill like fabric be found easy enough, in that color? Or do you have to alter one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: