About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=970f66aaaa09f04a91b531967e2918c7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Gone Wookie - Torment's Tarfull **Full pics page 8**
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so there are people doing the suit. I feel good now. I have seen the one you posted Doug, but its not really a Tarfful. I am going for spot on with this. I should be done with the masters for the shoulder armor this week. Then to mold it. I may depending on how this works out offer the Bandolier for Tarfful to people. But I know what its costing me to build and it wont be cheap saddly. But it will be awesome looking!

Well Im off to get the blue prints done now.
Katsu Ma'roy ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
I went with Marshaltown Drywall stilts , and I still get a ton of comments if I am really that tall.

Not to hijack the thread, but did you see the catalog number on these?

Catalog #SKYWALKER2

LOL!
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I have looked at stilts extensively. I am not a fan of them at all. I have seen what they can do for height, but it still looks very off to me. I know others may not see the arm issue, but I do very much. I am going to work of a static lift. But I am going to make some adjustments to them to work a bit more ergonomically. I like how they feel better and they dont squeek. Plus they have a bit more balance to them. I will be very top heavy when this suit is done. I think this is just one of those personal preferances things.
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent a few hours working on this mock up. The size is damn near perfect. Shape too. It took a few tries, but I think I got all the major details. Now its off to the copier to photo copy all the parts a few dozen times for all the templates then, transfer to the plastic for trim and body work. Once I get this one done, I will mold and cast. I am not sure if this will be a single mold or four different molds. Either way if I sell these, I will have to assemble them before they go out. In the end, I think they are gonna look awesome. Heck just the fact that everything lines up on paper makes me have good feeling that it till be close in the physical prop.

Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torment wrote:
Yes. I have looked at stilts extensively. I am not a fan of them at all. I have seen what they can do for height, but it still looks very off to me. I know others may not see the arm issue, but I do very much. I am going to work of a static lift. But I am going to make some adjustments to them to work a bit more ergonomically. I like how they feel better and they dont squeek. Plus they have a bit more balance to them. I will be very top heavy when this suit is done. I think this is just one of those personal preferances things.

Couldn't agree more, just bought a pair out of curiosity!
They are a lot heavier, bulkier and unstable than my own custom built ones!
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started the master for this today. Should be done with it some time tomorrow. Then i will do the shaping and finish work on it this weekend.

Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for my progress so far. I just about finished the master for the shoulder. I just have to do all the finishing work and clean up and Ill be ready to cast me up a set. I will say I know why no one has built these things before. Its a real pain in the arse. But I have been enjoying it all the way. Even if I dont have any skin left on my fingers. Well here is the last pic I will post up until after casting. Gotta order some more silicone for this. It will be cast in four parts, Then assembled after wards. Wish me luck!

Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really liking the way this armor's shaping up. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking cool man...

Im more of a bake the cake before I put the icing on kind of guy... but whatever works for you eh?

I would think it would be better to measure the shoulder once the suit is complete. As you keep on reiterating that you want to do it 100% right then im assuming you are going to go for the muscle suit. That should make your shoulder much larger.

Check out the undersuit here

Just food for thought.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wont wear a muscle suit per-say. Ill have muscled thighs to compensate and ill be wearing padded shoulders. I did my dimensions based off of the pads plus two inches to compensate for the fur. This is not my first costume and when I work, I don't forget things like size proportions. I do however have to take into account time management. As a teacher I have of all summer. I have 19 hours of cutting, sanding, and "icing"(its a high grade professional type of bondo) into just the shoulders. Since I have off now I can put that kind of time into it and actually get things done. If I had to do this during school, it will never get done. How ever doing a latch hook suit can be done, since I can do that inside while watching TV.
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to see thing, Jason. Based on your past work, I know it'll be spot on. Cool

Princess Leia Organa (Lori)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen wrote:
I'm really liking the way this armor's shaping up. Smile

I have to agree with Lori. Keep up the awesome work Jas!

Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update for those who are following this. Head kit came in today. I will have to reinforce it with fiberglass, the resin does not like heat at all and got super soft. It warped a bit when I got it this morning. I guess the post off ice does not use AC'ed trucks. Small set back, but nothing that cant be done in a few days. The face is nice and over all the head looks huge. It should be perfect. Ill get started on this in a little bit.

As for the armor bits, I painted and weathered the armor and started to do the bandolier. Should have something to really show off in a week or so, but here is what its looking like

The main straps are three different straps laced together and glued. They were detailed using an awl. The center belt straps were detailed the same way and have had nothing done to them yet. Waiting on the ammo boxes to come in. Once I have those, the bandolier will be finished of really easy. Once the main body is assembled, Ill do the dye and aging work on the belt. Should be awesome looking.

Well that's all for now. Next step is casting the shoulders and getting those assembled.
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the delay on this thread, but money does sometimes get in the way, but I have made some awesome progress.

First off the toes....

A friend of mine made the toes out of clay then casted them in laytex. They are reversable so one set works for both feet. Which is nice because less work. I then sculpted nails out of magic sculpt and cast those as well. I have some clean up work to do on them, but very little. I will paint these to match the brown/black looking nails seen on the hands. Ill add some scuffs and things for details even though most likely no one will ever look, but I will so it has to be there.

The bell....

This is the first one I did. It is friggin huge to say the least. But I went to scale mostly so it kinda had to be. Weight may be an issue, so I will have to come up with some internal supports to make sure the belt does not slip and slide off of me. I have a few ideas I am gonna run with once I am all done with it. Ill let you know when I do final assembly. It may be a bit since I tore a mold pulling a piece out, but they only took a few hours to assemble. Clean up is this weekend! Looking forward to seeing this painted up and weathered.

sorry about fuzzy pics, it was late and I was tired when I took them. But getting closer. Ill post pics with a fully completed bandolier when I am done assembling it.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice armor. What did you make the masters out of and what are you doing the castings in?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: