About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c424c7c6bd28fba4d36c51bda2f53269Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Black Invasion dress from Episode I

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bantha_rider (Olivia)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Black Invasion dress from Episode I Reply with quote

Hi there!

I've just begun researching the black invasion gown from Star Wars Episode I.

This one:

Does anyone have any tips or ideas for the main fabric of this dress? From looking at some very close-up shots on the Padawan's Guide, you can see that there are definite peaks of some sort.

Also, what sort of material would be best for the ear cups? The gold part of them looks like it was drizzled over a red egg shape.

Any other info, ideas, or tutorials would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
princessadrelia ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Black Invasion Dress Reply with quote

Hey Olivia!

I make the black Invasion Dress to in this month.
Perhaps i can give you some ideas:

Under the dress i wear a farthingale with a smal "tornüre" sorry, is the right word for this "bustle"???? I am not sure Confused

You can see what i mean at this pic:

For the underdress (copper) you could use dupioni silk. I dont know what kind of fabric the original dress is, but one seller in india has very nice dupion silk for a good price. www.puresilks.biz.

For the black skirt with the naboo symbols i used black velvet and applied the symbols with copper and gold acryl paint. I used 5 Meters of velvet to give the skirt the fullness.

The net fabric was so hard to find and its only a compromise: I bouth a pink net tulle. This fabric i dyed with Küpen-Colors black, because with this dyes you can dye poly fabrics. Than, hours of hours, i cut out the tulle between the net structure an this was the result:

I know, unfortunately its not 100 % accurate, but its better than nothing Mr. Green

For the headdress i get a great tip from my dear friend mohmoh: Take a cap, a simple cheap black cap and remove the front part. you can sew your fabric for the headdress on this cap and it will fit great on your head. For the "eggs" use simple polystyrene easter eggs. I painted them with a structure past to give them a rough surface and painted it with acryl paint.

Hope i can help you a bit! Becca911 did a fantastic job with her black invasion dress, perhaps she can give you also good ideas!
Cant wait to see you finished dress...its one of my favorits!
bantha_rider (Olivia)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, thank you for all the tips!

Easter eggs! What a good idea!

I've looked in a fabric warehouse at some of their fabrics for the net part, and I haven't found anything that is 100 percent accurate, either, but I'll be satisfied as long as it gives the effect. I may end up doing what you did with the tulle, as well; yours looks pretty good.

Great pictures and info! Thanks!
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hoop used was an elliptical cage hoop(or crinoline) that was popular in the 1860s(specifically Civil War era). The fabric I used for the spiderweb lace was from Joanns but it is discontinued. I would encourage you to take your time as this is a project that is not for a beginner, this costume is fairly advanced and can trip up even the most seasoned costumer. Copper for the underneath fabric would be incorrect as you need a fabric that is gold and red as it appears this way in certain lights. I used two fabrics both semi sheer, red and gold to give the shot effect. Dupioni is too rough in appearance to be the original fabric. I did not use velvet on my costume to cut down on some of the weight. My skirt is made from a heavy vintage satin and the peak fabric is something I started to make but found another way to make it. It is made of chiffon with the vintage satin underneath and then gold crinkle fabric for the lining.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

I totally understand that this is not going to be an easy, finished-in-a-week, costume! Although I am a firm believer in breaking things down into parts so that it doesn't become overwhelming! I'm fairly new to Star Wars costuming, but I've worked on a multitude of other costumes.

So what did you end up doing for the peaks? I see that the costume has lining that seems to be the same color as the gold-ish underdress, which would obviously help the peaks keep their shape. Are you able to sit in your dress, or would that crush the peaks?

I would like to use velvet for the second layer of the dress (with the gold Naboo symbols on it), so I would definitely need a sturdy cage hoop. Do you know of any good resources, besides eBay, for them? I'm definitely going to check craigslist often, as well.

Did you use ostrich feathers for the headdress?

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: