About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bf3efed5a9947f99bb00e7146a852286Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Princess Leia Hoth Hairstyle and Boot Covers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Leia ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Princess Leia Hoth Hairstyle and Boot Covers Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
I'm finishing up my Hoth Costume and had a question about two things.
1. How do you do the hairstyle, there aren't any real good references even in the archieves. It's either blurry or front to camera, I can't find any of her close up from behind.

Has anyone done the hairstyle here that can post very high rez pics?

2. I need to do boot covers, any easy suggestions?

Thanks Smile
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this will help, but I found these: (copy and paste) http://www.padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/hoth16.jpg

http://www.padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/hoth27.jpg

This one with the braids down, might give you and idea how long your extensions/wig should be:

http://www.padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/hoth57.jpg

Check out Padawan's guide, if you haven't: http://www.padawansguide.com/leia_hoth_images.shtml

Ember ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

To do my hair, I purchased a long braid the same colour as my hair, and wrap it around my head tucking the ends under in the back to hide them. Everything's held in place with bobby-pins.

Boot covers were done by getting a pair of boots with grey wedge heels and a getting a sheet of grey vinyl. Each boot has 3 pieces of vinyl plus the straps - toes, tongue (end of which is hidden by the toe section), and the 'wrap around', which in turn overlaps the edges of the tongue. The 'wrap around' section is carefully trimmed along the bottom edge to follow the shape of the wedge heel.
The straps are secured on the outside and wrap completely around the boots, fastening back on themselves with a tab of velcro.
Hopefully this picture helps explain things a little!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Yeah my boots are white actually I was following the actual costume I saw in person. They were white with the boot covers etc. But I guess I could use vinyl but I believe they were leather in the film, but that can run quite high price wise.
I will try the vinyl. The picture is a good shot Smile The hair is a bit more complicated, she has TWO braids one large one and one smaller one that somehow starts from the bottom, thick and goes to the top, smaller.

My hair stylist and I have tried to redo it and haven't had any real luck so now were going to have to do it the way others have and just do one braid I guess.

The padawan guide is helpful alittle but doesn't have any real good ref of her hair, there are none really. If I could find another cosplayer with the hair and see their close up pics it would help alot.

I only have three weeks to finish this for SDCC so i will have to hurry etc.
thanks for the responses.

Here's my Vest Badge and communicator so far
[/img]

I still have to prime and paint it but it's almost done.
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking to submit it, make sure you check the standards to see what is passable. I believe the standards say gray boots just a FYI.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not be submitting as far as I know Smile I just do costumes that I enjoy wearing and that I wear to my Charity Superhero group I run in LA. Smile

The pictures the boots are clearly white in person, in the film they may have been grey but in promos and in person there white.

No different then trying to guess the color of the boot covers which range anywhere from light blue, grey to whitish blue gray lol

But thanks for the FYI for the future.

[/img]
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy and paste:

http://www.padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/hoth50.jpg

http://www.padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/hoth7.jpg

http://www.padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/promo11.jpg

The boots are definitely grey, not white. The thing you need to remember is, while looking at exhibit photos is great, the costumes have possibly changed over the years (30+ years now!). Since ESB was filmed, someone might have borrowed the boots for a different movie, or just plain thought they should be white and white-washed/polished them. Your main reference should most certainly be the movie and shots from the movie (comparing elements of the costume to itself is a good way to see if you're getting the color right...compared to the rest of her outfit, the boots are definitely NOT white.)...if you're going for the most movie accurate that you possibly can. If you're just going for "close enough", then you'll be "good enough". You'll find a lot of us here are super into the details and making sure things are as movie accurate as humanly possible. Wink

You know, going back to the first picture I posted and comparing the boots to the ones in the exhibit, they are not even the same boot. The exhibit boots have a different seam over the top of the toe area and the heel isn't as high...! Definitely need to look mostly at movie reference. Strange that they changed them! Or maybe they belonged to an extra or a stunt double??

Princess_Leia ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe but I'm not concerned with that at the moment. Thanks though Smile
Kids are not going to care and I can switch the boots next year.

I'm going by the costume I saw in person. It's easy enough to change them to gray another time. There is no hurry.

Also if you look at The promo pic of Leia her boots are white underneath you can see the paint peeling off or coming apart. So I would argue though the film appear to be gray they are obviously painted and are white underneath.

But anyway thanks for the input and the info on the boot covers I appreciate it.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Smile

On a side note, I just noticed that the boots in some of the promo pics are the same as the exhibit (only grey), but the one with her foot up is a different style...strange. She must have had at least two pairs of boots...?

The boots she wore in this picture (copy and paste) http://www.padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/hoth50.jpg just have straps around them, they don't have the typical "Hoth" style with the wrap around piece like seen here (copy and paste)
http://www.padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/promo11.jpg on Leia's and Luke's boots.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: