About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c10412a4db724d8e40b5b777abe38ec3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia Ewok Dress
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leia1138 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Leia Ewok Dress Reply with quote

I'm thinking of attempting this dress and I didn't see a separate thread for it here. I've been looking over the suggested resources and I have some questions.

Is this made as a dress with princess seams and different lengths at the bottom or is it a bodice with princess seams and attached skirt? Or can it be done either way? It's hard to tell with the tie around the waist.

In this pic it just looks like a dress without a separate bodice.

In other pics it looks different like maybe there are multiple layers to the skirt?

I saw Burda 2484 recommended as a pattern which would have a separate bodice. I also found a McCall's pattern, 4491 that looks like it could possibly work using the short-sleeve view.

It looks like it should be made loose enough to fit over your head as I don't see any zippers or laces (besides the decorative ones), correct?

Thank you for any input!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seriously thinking about this one (Last Tour To Endor Party) as well. I think that it has a bodice with an attached skirt. I could be wrong, but it seems that the skirt portion has two main parts that are overlapped slightly. Then, the front is cut into the high slit at the leg/hip.

I think the neckline of the bodice will accommodate your head well enough that you won't have to worry about it. The front lacing could be functional, if you want, so that you have a bit more room to get your head through.

But, again, I've never made this and only just recently starting thinking about it, so I haven't put in a lot of "bleeding eyes" research yet.

Perhaps one of the Leia costumers who have done this dress can answer?

padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in fact a dress with a bodice with princess seams(with lacing detail) and skirt with multiple points and lengths. I made this(my first RL costume) and twilekjedi is now the proud owner of it. The slit is very high on the skirt as is the neckline is very low cut(and has lacing details). There is also lacing on the shoulder seams to the sleeves. Apparently, the Ewoks liked to embellish with lacing.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rachel and Becca. I was also thinking about Last Tour to Endor although I don't have tickets yet and am still deciding. Plus the more I thought about it, it looks like a comfortable costume to wear and easy to pack.

Are the white undersleeves attached at the shoulder seams?

I guess the lacing makes it seem more primitive, like something the ewoks would make! Smile
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that the white sleeves are attached at the shoulder with the short suede sleeves.

I love the idea of wearing comfy sandals at an outdoor event and still being in costume!! Smile

That was my thought about the lacing too: that was the primitive way the Ewoks sew.

padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia1138 wrote:
Are the white undersleeves attached at the shoulder seams?

Mine were attached at the hem of the dress sleeve(uses less fabric) and do not forget the ties at the wrist are BLACK not brown(only black on the dress). The sash is seperate as well.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't checked out Padawan's Guide, I would suggest going there. She has some great pictures. The sleeves also have tucks on the outside that run the length of the sleeve. Sort of strange, but you can see them clearly in several pictures.

Leia1138 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes! I've been checking out Padawan's Guide as well as pics of other people with this costume. It seems like there are a lot of different approaches to the costume, particularly with the bottom of the skirt.

I didn't see it listed as a RL requirement, but I did notice that it looked like a tuck on the sleeve. You can really see it in the close-up studio photo.

Wow the ties are black? It's so hard to tell in the pictures - it almost looks gray.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia1138 wrote:
Wow the ties are black? It's so hard to tell in the pictures - it almost looks gray.

Yes they were black and I forgot where they said it was but it has faded and the pics are faded as well.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking through my Dressing a Galaxy book and found this picture in the back. Unfortunately, it's tiny and I apologize for my crummy scan. Has anyone seen a larger version of this picture? I haven't run across it in my searches on the web. It's one of the few, nice full-length pictures of the dress I've seen except for that one with the ewoks.

Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised Official Pix hasn't released that photo (yet).

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Leia1138 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattt, I even checked the Official Pix website to see if they had it!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did I. If you're on their e-mail list, sometimes you'll see when they get new products.

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're probably waiting for CVI to release that pic. 30th anniversary of ROTJ. Wink

leiasolosinger (Teresa Jackson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a larger version of that pic. Sending now. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: