About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f8bfaf30f7695167d4a7a880511ebee1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Finding Apailana
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Finding Apailana Reply with quote

Queen Apailana is one of my dream costumes. The only thing that has been stopping me so far is the inability to find that gold-silver brocade. Now I'm in China for a while and I'm on the hunt again. China is good at brocades, after all.
[url=http://www.padawansguide.com/fidm/maggie/ap2_med.jpg]
Apailana reference[/url]

So far I have stumbled across two brocades that might work. Neither have metallic threads (sadly), but they're still silk and moderately shiny with geometric designs. I'm a fan of the first one best.

Both appear more yellow in the photos than they actually are.

Thoughts?

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on liking the first one best. It just feels a little more like royalty, if that makes any sense. The other one is nice, but not as rich.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'm a fan of the second! The first feels kind of earthly and renaissance to me, and the second reminds me of Padme's sash fabric for her costume of the same style, it just seems more Star Warsy to me. I'm sure either one you make it out of will be beautiful. Glad to see someone is doing one!

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sabésombra ()

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, the costume standard thankfully does not require a 100% match. Trish said it was either a small run or custom woven in India. Padawan's Guide has the research and you will see it is a Japanese pattern, the yabane (arrow feather) weave.

If you prefer to match closer to the colors, the first one would be better. While not her same pattern, given that the design is of four joined fleurs de lis, the medieval heraldry symbol of which the Naboo Royal Crest is a variant, you do have an argument for using that fabric.

In your hunt, you might have better luck in the colors back in India. Perhaps you can find the equivalent of the NY garment district.

This website had the closest I've seen in the color and texture blends and it is sourced from India http://www.thesilkroute.co.uk/coloured.html
This has the color: http://www.thesilkroute.co.uk/BS190.html

The winner at the CIV costume contest hand-painted the design. This is on my long-term wish list to either embroider the design or with good fortune, have it custom-woven or printed. I'd consider trying to get a group order going, but given how the AOTC Elizabethan African velvet order attempt turned out, I'd doubt that this more obscure outfit would generate sufficient committed interest.
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also say that the second choice has a better pattern.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The silver and gold thread herringbone used for the gown was a one off sample, you are never going to find the fabric, and if you even find something close it will cost an absolute fortune per yard. "Where did you get that fabric for that costume" was one of first questions when I got a few minutes to talk with Trisha Biggar at the gala opening at FIDM for Dressing A Galaxy.

When you see the fabric in person, it actually has more silver then gold to it, and I have been looking for years for a fabric that even comes close, and have not found anything. If you look at my photos and some of the other close ups here http://www.padawansguide.com/apailana_exhibit.shtml you can see the silver. The lighting in the room made most photos come out with a yellow cast to them, and fabric did not look the same in the photos as when you were viewing the costume in person.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queen Amidala wrote:
... when I got a few minutes to talk with Trisha Biggar at the gala opening at FIDM for Dressing A Galaxy....

[Me] <----Jealous!!! You got to go to FIDM, you got to go to the opening gala, AND you got to talk with Trisha?!! WOW!

Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, since the book cover featured the Pre-Senate Amidala gown, I was super excited about going to see the exhibit. The rest of the RL and 501st Legion members that got to attend/work the opening weekend events were fairly local, but I submitted my photos and was approved to attend in costume, but had to pay for my own flight and find crash space. And since I was not approved until a week before the event, I had to do this all from my cell phone while at Dragon*Con.

George Lucas was at the Gala too, and I walked past him numerous times, and was like, yeah it's George, but where is Trisha, that is who I really want to meet. I was lucky that I was able to get a few minutes to speak with her. And a while later, back in NYC, I was again selected to wear my Pre-Senate Amidala when we presented George Lucas with his honorary RL membership.
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoA doesn't have a lot of interwebs access right now, but I thought I'd pop in just to say she ended up going with the first. And I'm still excited to see how this one comes out, even if the actual construction doesn't happen for a long time. Smile

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
princessadrelia ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Possilbe Apailana Fabric Reply with quote

Hey Jenna!
I found this silk fabric at thaisilks.com.

I bought it in white and dyed it than grey. The pattern is not 100% close but i could be a nice fabric for you.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2286844/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2286843/

Hope you like it Smile
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heywoh! Lots of suggestions since I've been gone. I was a little dissappointed in the lack of silver in the fabric I found, but I might give it a sample bleach job and see how that affects the color.

I did find the super short purple velvet she uses for her under collar in Japan too. This thing is slowly coming together.

I plan to do a mockup of this soon in cheap cottons, so I'll post my progress once that gets farther along.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was staring at some reference photos and wanted to get some other opinions.

First, there is the piping on her sleeves. Do you suppose it is the same satin as the obi or the short velvet from the collar?

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say (guessing here) that it was the same satin as the obi.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hunt continues four years later with an amazing discovery! I found the obi fabric digging through a bin of kimono fabric scraps at the local monthly flee market near where I go to school and bought up all they had.

Compare that to the original shot here:

If it's not exact, it's at least pretty darn close to the same pattern. The way the bunching hung and shimmers on the original always made me think it was kimono-weight silk, and that is exactly what I have found here. That means it will dye pretty easily too.

I picked up some chiffon-ish stuff in India when I was living there and got a custom dye job on it for the pink under layer, so that's taken care of. I intend to keep hunting for a better kimono brocade though.

Traditionally, that much metallic is left to obis, not for kimono, and kimono fabric is also really narrow. The fabric I got today is a typical 14" wide. Both of those things together really make me think that what was used for this costume was not a random find in Japan but a custom weave.

That said, the Nishijin textile district is relatively close to where I live, and that's one of the most famous places in Japan for kimono weavers. I shall do some hunting there, for the fabric or for someone who does custom weaving. If I found a weaver willing to make this stuff, anyone else interested in jumping in on a lot?

GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find on the obi fabric! Smile I wish it were easier to swing by and shop with you..../sigh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: