About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1bd29665aeb2b41608136c8890ce6972Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Noob looking for some guidance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ComdtJustin (Justin Udland)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Noob looking for some guidance Reply with quote

Hey all, just joined up to the RL forums and I'm looking for a bit of guidance...

I want to start a Han costume, obviously for submission to the Rebel Legion when completed, but I'm not sure which Han to do: ANH, ESB or ROTJ? I'm kind of leaning toward ANH, but I'm not 100% sure quite yet. Opinions? Suggestions?

Also, when I do finalize the decision, where do I start? I've found some good links for boots on eBay, and I've decided on making my own gunbelt and I have an airsoft Mauser I'm going to convert to a DL-44, but where the heck do I start on the costume?

Pardon me if I'm asking too much, but it's a bit overwhelming, no?
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard first off.

Second and most important… read as much as you can. There are a lot of mistakes we have made, and you can save yourself a lot of money and time by reading advice on the boards and learn what to avoid before you even start.

I will throw a few links to thread that I would recommend reading.

I will also recommend that when you do buy your boots.. remember that the boots are usually the one item you will want to spend the most money on for they will give you the biggest return. A good pair of boots will be the difference between comfort and agony, and approval to membership or not.

I also highly recommend that you read up on the Han standards, there has also been talk about changes to Han boot standards, so I would recommend keeping a close watch out for updates for those as well

For all things Han I have built a list of things on this thread to help new guys out Han Archive

I would also take note of the following threads to help you on your way:

1. Airsoft mauser conversion

2. ESB air soft mauser conversion

3. pants info

4. Holster build from scratch

5. Making your own bloodstripes

6. ANH Vest Breakdown

7. Han Standards

Read up on those threads, and then feel free to ask away, there is alot of info we can help with.

Good luck!

Bob Kohn
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd say it's TESB time, so I'd go for Bespin Han.
Whatever Han you choose, have in mind to make the correct DL-44 for the Han you make.
Welcome and enjoy it!

P.S.: Robert, I'm really glad you mentioned my tutorial about the Airsoft Mauser conversion! and in pole position! Laughing
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Solo wrote:

P.S.: Robert, I'm really glad you mentioned my tutorial about the Airsoft Mauser conversion! and in pole position! Laughing

NP Smile

Its the one thing I think we all can do a bit more to help others... tutorials. The air soft mauser is a nice low cost blaster without all the weight of some of the other Replicas out there. I do not have one myself, but I do appreciate the quality they posses.
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one is your favorite? Wear what you are going to have the most fun in. That's how I would choose. Another way to go about it is looking to see if there are any Rebel Alliance characters in your area that you will be trooping with the most, and going by what film they are from. Being able to coordinate with others is always nice.
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB wrote:

Another way to go about it is looking to see if there are any Rebel Alliance characters in your area that you will be trooping with the most, and going by what film they are from. Being able to coordinate with others is always nice.

This is so true!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB wrote:

Another way to go about it is looking to see if there are any Rebel Alliance characters in your area that you will be trooping with the most, and going by what film they are from. Being able to coordinate with others is always nice.

This is so true!

You do have a valid point here, however it seems that my hometown is more 501st-oriented... I think I've seen a total of 1 RFT and 1 Chewie as far as the rebels are concerned... Other than that, it's Tuskens, Stormies and a Vader.

Aside from the quote reply, I do have an all metal airsoft Mauser I'm going to convert. At this point, I'm strongly considering doing an ANH Han. Something about that original vest just gets me, y'know? So now the question stands: Which piece of the kit do I start on first? Vest, Shirt, Pants, Gunbelt, Boots or Gun? What do you guys usually start on first when making a new costume?
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would start with the blaster then the holster. I say this because your blaster will be needed to complete your holster properly. Once your done with these two items you will be so excited you will have all the motivation to finish the rest of the costume!

Take your time and do it right. Took me almost 1 year of homework and material searching before I had my first Han done. We can cut that down here with the homework and research part. Just take your time on the materials and get the good stuff, avoid poor quality materials.

Print out high quality pictures and take them to local seamstresses to see if there is anyone who is interested, and make sure they follow details well for accuracy. Try to avoid pre-made costumes, because most are not done very well and will require tons of modifications by a seamstress anyways. The old saying “measure twice and cut once “ applies to all costumes. Use scrap fabric for testing things out to also save money.

If you have any detailed questions do not be shy and ask us or send PMS… we are here to help man.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wicked, thanks for the advice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: