About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=30eaf7268a56bb609b527aec2b4e8dbfMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

California Holiday Parades in 2010
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: California Holiday Parades in 2010 Reply with quote

I wanted to get a feel for the level of support we might have for some upcoming holiday parades taking place in the San Francisco Bay Area. In the past the Rebel Legion has skipped these parades because we simply have not had enough members to have a solid Rebel Legion only entry. But these are some of the big televised parades in our area, it would be a shame to keep missing out on them!

One is the Oakland Holiday Parade. This is on December 4 2010 and usually is the same day as the Modesto Holiday Parade which we've participated in with the CCG for the past two years. Scott does plan to set up a joint entry for the Modesto Parade again this year and it also falls on December 4th (the timing of line-up prep for Modesto is too tight to do both that parade and the Oakland Parade earlier in the afternoon). Application deadline for the Oakland parade is October 1st. I believe we'd need a good 10-15 solid sign-ups to make this a go.

The other parade which was brought to my attention by Ed DaSilva is the San Jose Holiday Parade. This takes place the morning of Sunday December 5th. On the up side, this is usually the day after the Modesto parade so quite a few of us have participated in both parades (as tired as we are!). The question is, do we have enough members and interest to make our own entry to promote our own club? Or are too many of us torn between supporting the 501st over RL if we keep it separate? As a group, would we rather explore the possibility of doing a joint entry with the 501st Golden Gate Garrison *IF* their membership is open the the idea? (Keep in mind they have a long tradition of doing this parade on their own - so we'd have to ask Ed to check on how the GGG members would feel about opening it up to creating a joint entry this year).

Let me know what you all feel up to doing Smile If we have enough support to do our own entry in either parade then we'll assign a team leader and fill out the paperwork if we get enough solid volunteers. If you'd rather try to explore doing a joint entry with the 501st for the San Jose parade, let me know.

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes

Last edited by Kay_Dee (Kathy) on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:15 am; edited 3 times in total
IanL

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted my interest in the SJ parade on the 501st board. I was hoping I'd have my X-Wing/Snowspeeder done by then and was hoping to wear it. I honestly didn't realize the RL had specifically avoided these two parades; I think a joint entry would be awesome.
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanL wrote:
I posted my interest in the SJ parade on the 501st board. I was hoping I'd have my X-Wing/Snowspeeder done by then and was hoping to wear it. I honestly didn't realize the RL had specifically avoided these two parades; I think a joint entry would be awesome.

Thanks for bringing it up at the GGG forum (I was away for a while and couldn't read all the posts).

We didn't totally avoid these parades, but in the last two years I would try to get a feel for whether or not we had enough members to make our own entry. So many of us are in the 501st or are not available, we just didn't have the numbers. So, we decided we needed to grow a bit more before revisiting the bay area parade idea.

We did have a few people express a desire to do a joint entry a few years ago, but it had to be something the 501st was open to trying Smile It sounds like Ed D. is open to the idea of trying the San Jose parade as a joint entry if others in the GGG are comfortable with the idea. But I wanted to find out if RL members wanted their own entry instead (if we have the numbers).

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be open to do both of these with RL.

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Scottrooper

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can count on me setting up the Modesto parade again :-) The date for it will be, Dec 4 (it's always the first Saturday in December)

There's also a decent chance that we'll be looking at doing another holiday parade in Sacramento. (last year it fell on the Saturday after Thanksgiving)
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottrooper wrote:
You can count on me setting up the Modesto parade again :-) The date for it will be, Dec 4 (it's always the first Saturday in December)

There's also a decent chance that we'll be looking at doing another holiday parade in Sacramento. (last year it fell on the Saturday after Thanksgiving)

Thanks Scott - I have a lot of fun at the Modesto Parade so I personally lean toward wanting to be a part of that again myself. But I know there are some that won't make the drive out there and I didn't want to dictate that they couldn't put a group together to do the Oakland Parade as a RL entry based on my preference.

FYI - I only discussed doing the San Jose parade as a possible joint entry wtih the GGG only because I knew we might be doing the Modesto Parade again and that one conflicts with the day of the Oakland Parade.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
owkrules ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathy,

I would be more than open to doing those events in SJ/Oakland in December. By then I hope our second son is sleeping through the night so weekends are a bit more open for costuming Smile. Right now things are pretty crazy.
Ciscotiger ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathy,

I'll be doing the SJ parade, and tentatively for Oakland but with the 501st.
Taeriel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be open to doing the SJ parade, either as a joint entry or as our own group.

Los Gatos also has a holiday parade. I've looked into it a little before as a potential event to suggest for RL. It's not as big as Oakland, but it looks like a fun local event. Unfortunately it also tends to fall on the same day as the Modesto parade. It seems to be in the mornings, but the timing might be tight to do it and Modesto.
Taeriel's costume page
IanL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update to possibly doing the SJ parade with the 501st?
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum, I'll ping Ed again about it. I'm not sure it's something the rest of the garrison would go for though - so maybe that's why we've just not gone forward with any planning. I'm fine either way. I guess we just need to know because otherwise we'd have to see about doing a RL entry and check to see how many RL members would want to defect from their 501st sign-up.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Trooperdad (Don Ganschow)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could do RL for SJ holiday parade (or 501st). Preference is RL.
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I'm still getting caught up after my week long trip to Florida... but I spoke in more detail with Ed DaSilva and we are a go for doing the San Jose Holiday Parade with the 501st. He also said we can join them for the Oakland Parade and I *believe* the Niles festival of lights parade. I will be posting separate sign up threads for all of the parades as soon as I finish working through the rest of my e-mail and unpacking.

Please keep in mind we have some very strict rules for these large parades and it is imperative we all abide by these rules. We have also agreed to abide by the 501st code of conduct for these parades in addition to our own Rebel Legion code of conduct since we are joining the parade as guests of the 501st rather than submitting our own application and trooping as our own group.

Details and formal sign-ups forth coming Smile

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome news!

Very Happy

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I know we have a lot of interest that was posted here already - but I have formal event sign up threads up now for the San Jose Holiday Parade and the Oakland Holiday Parade. So for those of you who already expressed a desire to participate, please go to the new sign-up threads and let us know what costume you'd like to troop in!

San Jose Holiday Parade Dec 5th: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=343878#343878
Oakland Holiday Parade Dec 4th: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25907

Don't forget, we'll have sign ups soon for the Modesto light parade which is also on the 4th of Dec. (unfortunately, the parades conflict time wise so you must choose...) I'm also waiting to find out if we are cleared to join the GGG for the Niles festival of lights parade.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: