About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0b538103c345be4ea3e32cbab82abeadMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Levis Dress Jeans?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoneSolo ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Levis Dress Jeans? Reply with quote

I'm new around these parts and am currently making a Han Solo ANH costume to join the rebel legion.

Would these work as a base for Han pants? I apologize for the quality of the photo, but it is the only one I can find. They are Levi's Jeans Tex Twill 517 Boot Cut. What I like the most about these are the fit. This is the "Navy" color Levis offers. Now, I've heard of people using Dickie's pants as a base and just stitching the pockets closed. For these, can the rear pockets be removed and front pockets stitched? Is this acceptable? Oh and they are a poly blend I think. Sorry if this has been covered before, but I did not find anything.

SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gonesolo,

Welcome to the RL boards.

The one thing I could see not going "well" on this is that once the back pockets are removed you have the "shadow" of where the pocket was be the holes the thread made.

Fringe team, let's here some more ideas and discussion on this please.

Phoenix 17
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they should be flat front with no pockets. I'm not sure that a classic five-pocket-denim would work -- even after modifying them, it would be hard to hide the pockets.

if anyone finds the perfect base-pants, let me know. (but I don't think 5-pocket-denim is the answer)
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the riding seam and the pin tuck...

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I was already speaking to a seamstress for the pin tuck and riding seam. That shouldn't be too difficult.

I figured since it is a stretch fabric, I could try to pull the front pockets up to meet at the belt line. OR, purchase a pair with a longer inseam and use the extra material to seal the pocket. My other option could be to find a similar fabric and have the seamstress use these as a base to make another pair without pockets.

I found these while looking for actual riding breeches. No luck with the breeches though.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're cheap, you can try to pick up a pair and see how they look with the pockets ripped out. But typically with pants, if you have to remove a pocket, it will always still show where it was stitched in. If the pants aren't new, typically there will be a color difference in the material. But, there's really no way to know unless you try. But if they're expensive, I would say don't try, because typically the pockets don't remove cleanly.
Someone mentioned that his pants in ANH were modified jeans, anyone know if this is true or not?
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:

Someone mentioned that his pants in ANH were modified jeans, anyone know if this is true or not?

I think Solo ANH pants were riding pants ...

Like I saw on this forum, it is better create new pants then modify some another ...
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the fit of the pants, and you really want to get in to the RL, I would suggest taking the pants to a seamstress and tell them... exactly like these but without the pockets. Oh and add ridding seams in the back and Pin Tucks in da front. The pants as they are may not pass, but I am sure they will make an excellent pattern for your seamstress.
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your self time, trouble and money by having them made from scratch. If you mod those jeans I do not think you will be happy with them after a while. I know I would not be. You will want something better soon after. I know from experience. Just use the wonderful pics and info everyone has provided in the threads. Then you know you will be happy with them because they will be made right, the way you want them to be. It will be worth it.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the accurate fabric, get a pattern, then make from scratch. There is no reason to pay 300+ for a pair of pants custom made pants when you can do it yourself (or befriend a seamstress Wink ). The customizing route will work, but that can get costly and trying to explain the concept to random shops is a pain, not to mention when you go to pick the pants up and they are wrong as can be, its dishearting. I was pretty intimidated at the whole sewing thing, but once you get into it, its like building a model, plus pride in something you built. I will be getting patterns togeather at some point but i think there is some already floating around on the boards somewhere.

Good luck and enjoy the process!

"Never tell me the odds."
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will want something along the lines like the Burda young 7733 pattern. being that it is for younger people it runs a bit more tight... like the 70's pants pattern. You can still get it from JoAnns I believe.

The Kwik sew version is a bit harder to find. Every once in a while it will pop up on ebay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: